View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezreq Blodvaerd

re: My previous guild / corporation writings...

I thought perhaps some of you might find this useful. In EVE I was in an alliance who asked me to draft a code of conduct for their combat corporation.

I borrowed much from my own military experience (US Army), but I also tapped into Marine and Navy codes as well.

Quote:
Mission Statement
The Khanid Guard serves as the combat / security division of the Khanid Trade Syndicate. As a corporate member of this alliance, the Khanid Guard shall serve in any and all combat capacities that it is called upon to perform. It will answer the call of the alliance leadership or the fleet commander of any alliance sponsored operation. To serve this purpose with reliable consistency, the following rules and regulations are here delineated.

Khanid Guard Creed

1. Demonstrate loyalty to Alliance, Corporation, Squad and towards those placed in your charge.

2. Serve with Integrity, Honor and Courage on and off of the battlefield.

3. Be prepared to lead, follow when ordered, and serve enthusiastically.

4. Train for War, Fight to Win, Defeat our Enemy, Leave no Friend Behind.

5. Earn your place in the Guard, in every battle, every day and in everyone’s mind.

General Conduct Code

1. I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved.

2. I will obey my orders and perform all of my duties in an honorable manner.

3. I will lead my fleet, squadron or team with focus of purpose and never in a reckless or arbitrary manner.

4. When in combat, I will talk to no one except in the line of duty.

5. I will give alarm when I must leave battle, before transferring aggression to another pilot.

6. I will be especially watchful when in low security systems, to challenge all persons on or near my post, and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.

Khanid Guard Rules of Engagement

At Peace:

No High Security PvP. Low Security/0.0 PvP governed by the current NRDS policy. Engagement of non-combat vessels in low sec (Freighters, Industrials, Mining Ships, Pods, etc) is forbidden.

On Alert:

Engagement authorized to defend Alliance members from Can Flippers, Ore Thieves and Griefers that may be currently active. Low Sec PvP as per RoE 1.

In a Limited War:

Active group operations may be conducted against enemy military assets. Combat operations are to be planned in order to defend Alliance Members and assets, or the Danera system as a whole. Podding is prohibited.

In an Unrestricted Warfare:

All enemy assets and members are considered valid targets. Offensive operations are authorized to engage enemy assets not in region. Termination of enemy pilots via Pod destruction is authorized.

Operational and Training Guidelines

[i]“Excel as Warriors through Discipline and Innovation"[/i]

It is the responsibility for all members of the Khanid Guard to know its chain-of-command, its creed and general orders. These are the cornerstones of our discipline code.

It is the responsibility for all members of the Khanid Guard to be ready to lead and be innovative in his / her use of skill sets and ship configurations to achieve unit goals.

It is the responsibility for all members of the Khanid Guard to take an active role in the planning of any high risk operation. Gathering information on specific missions, regions, enemy strengths and weaknesses, fall within this responsibility.

It is the responsibility for all members of the Khanid Guard to actively monitor various communication channels (Local Chat, Fleet Chat) particularly in low security or PvP situations. Monitoring also includes the ship status of all pilots in the squadron or fleet.

Obviously, certain aspects of these rules or codes apply specifically to EVE Online. However, some of them are general enough to apply to STO as well.

Awarded:

Very good work Lieutenant. Keep this up and you may find yourself with a job!

Lt. Blodvaerd,

Great post, and insight must be something instilled as part of the military. There are quite a few ex-military in our guild, myself and Col Steile were as well. Col Steile and myself have been working on a code of conduct for the 7th Marine Division, as of late both of us have been very busy so it is a work in progress and unfinished. At some point it would be great to get on vent and all three of us finalize the code for general use. I've included the most updated progress on it. We drew heavily from codes used by elite Army and Marine units, tell me what you think.

Submitted for comment and suggestion.I t is a work in progress. I am trying to make this sound somewhat real while trying to make it fit into a game and be consistant with a a role play fleet.

Task Force 80, the 7th MD, is the special ops/black ops task force for the 7th Fleet. We are a branch of Star Fleet serving at the direction of our commanding general. In his absence, orders will orginate through the senior staff per the chain of command. We fully man our assigned vessels employing enhanced training and tactics to fulfill our mission in support of and at the direction of Commander in Chief, 7th Fleet. As a self sustained combat element, we have the provision and authorization to employ such ships and craft that are mission necessary.

Although we are a newly formed unit, we draw history and tradition from several elite units of Earth History such as Army Rangers and US Marines,

(This can be modified to add other units should we have members from them such as: Green Berets, SEALs, USAF Air Commandos, British Royal Marines and SAS, etc)

1. As a member of Star Fleet Marines and due to our historical links to past organizations, it is required that all members of 7MD comport themselves in the highest tradations and manner so as not to bring dishonor upon our associated units. We will deal with each other and our 7th Fleet breatheren in a manner that encouages brotherhood and comradery but also enhances the free expression of constructive ideas.

2. Upon joining our ranks, know that we hold ourselves to the highest standards. We are the tip of the spear for the 7th Fleet. In choosing this role, therefore, we will regard all members of the 7th fleet as brothers and we will not deem any member of the 7th fleet as lesser or less worthy than ourselves.

3. During combat operations we will support each other and our sister Task Forces as requested. We will employ all resources and skills to thier fullest extent in order to acheive successful mission completion.

4. Should a tactical withdraw be required, we will pull back in good order and discipline making every attempt to take all wounded and dead with us. Should this prove unfeasible, we will make every attempt to regroup and conduct such operations as necessary, unless tactically impractical, to recover our lost at the soonest opportunity.

5. In combat, stress will be highest as freinds and allies may be lost from time to time. All members are expected to maintain professionalism and positive decorum. This is especailly importiant while we all focus on overcoming the problem and the enemy despite losses.

6. Should a captain fall victim to combat stress, it may be necessary for that captain to retire from operations for such as time as needed for rest and recuperation. (ie, take a break before you say something regretable)

7. Among other Federation Fleets, our action must demonstrat the highest standards of professionalism. a. We will give aid "as the tactical situation will permit" when requested.

b. We will not interfere with or cause the mission failure of other fleets.

8. In all that we undertake we will conduct ourselves with honor and humility. There is no necessity for arrogance bahavior when your actions have already spoken volumes for you. Realize your medium and your venue.

9. To our opponents, we will be implacible foes but with the highest honor adhering to all rules of warefare.

(specifics for Player vs Player Combat will require some further thought but most especially after we know how the game mechanics will function.)

Gen. Kelley

I thank you for your generous words. I would be happy to contribute to the discussion for developing a code of conduct for the 7th Fleet / MD.

If I might suggest, whatever codes are developed they should cover some combat basics.

"Shoot, Move and Communicate" These three primary tasks will need to have codes of conduct that govern them, particularly in fleet operations.

re: A good Fleet needs all kinds.

Short of cheating I will employ any tactic I feel will advance the Federations Military gains. This may not be popular but I feel it will be required for victory. Before you object I sugest having a look at some Klingon guild sites. REALLY.

2Punchy
Myles Keogh

I'm all in favor of a code of conduct for the Fleet, similar to the two outlined above.

Not that I think poor conduct will be a problem with our group, but Fleet members' actions will be the primary evidence that others will use to form an opinion of the Fleet as a whole.

BTW, codes of conduct usually require some sort of mechanism for evaluation/enforcement. Just sayin'.

Myles Keogh wrote:
I'm all in favor of a code of conduct for the Fleet, similar to the two outlined above.

Not that I think poor conduct will be a problem with our group, but Fleet members' actions will be the primary evidence that others will use to form an opinion of the Fleet as a whole.

BTW, codes of conduct usually require some sort of mechanism for evaluation/enforcement. Just sayin'.

Agreed.....and to address the two points you have made:

1. The 7th Fleet will be functioning within a larger realm based alliance, with the rest of the Federation fleets out there. All members of the 7th Fleet need to conduct themselves in a manner that is mindful that they are a reflection of the 7th Fleet, as well as an individual.

In any MMO, and in every fleet, guild, group, there will always be one person who brings shame or worse, betrays their own fleet. These behaviors are sactionable, in-game and here on the forums.

2. The mechinism for evaluation.....Peer Review....We should police ourselves. We all need to care about the 7th's functioning and its reputation, and let no one interfere with either.

The mechanism for enforcement.....Fleet Sanctions...Serious violations of trust could result in the removal of the person in question from the in-game fleet and from the forums.

re: Re: A good Fleet needs all kinds.

Not a fan long codes of conduct...

Let me give you my code of conduct for MMOs

1) Don't be a dick to anyone who your guild calls friend.

a) Friend is defined as anyone your guild works with, and has standing agreements with. Not to be confused with the entire faction.

2) Do what ever you can to force the enemy to make a mistake.

3) Have fun, within the confines of rules 1 through 2.

4) Review rules 1 through 4.

2Punchy wrote:
Short of cheating I will employ any tactic I feel will advance the Federations Military gains. This may not be popular but I feel it will be required for victory. Before you object I sugest having a look at some Klingon guild sites. REALLY.

You and me are going to be great friends :-) although I may cheat.

Myles Keogh wrote:

So deal with things when they happen.

Myles Keogh wrote:

Which usually makes them a pain to deal with .

Blodvaerd wrote:
1. The 7th Fleet will be functioning within a larger realm based alliance, with the rest of the Federation fleets out there. All members of the 7th Fleet need to conduct themselves in a manner that is mindful that they are a reflection of the 7th Fleet, as well as an individual.

Thats true, but its true about everywhere you go all the time. So this at least to me is common sense.

Blodvaerd wrote:
In any MMO, and in every fleet, guild, group, there will always be one person who brings shame or worse, betrays their own fleet. These behaviors are sactionable, in-game and here on the forums.

When something like that happens you kick them out... and if someone on the outside brings it up say something like, "look he seemed like a nice guy, he was actually a total ass when we heard what he did we kicked him out." But you don't need a code of conduct to do that. Thats what a leadership is for.

Blodvaerd wrote:
2. The mechinism for evaluation.....Peer Review....We should police ourselves. We all need to care about the 7th's functioning and its reputation, and let no one interfere with either.

Can't we just have fun. I don't know about you guys but when I hear the phrases "Peer Review" and "Police Ourselves", fun is not the word that pops in to my mind.

Blodvaerd wrote:
The mechanism for enforcement.....Fleet Sanctions...Serious violations of trust could result in the removal of the person in question from the in-game fleet and from the forums.

But you don't need a code of conduct for this. All a Code of Conduct will do is make things more annoying to deal with.

Last edited by Throggdor on 12/25/09 0:34; edited 1 time in total

No matter what I say, or how you may take it. I'm only saying it because I stand up for what I believe in. You should never take it personally, if you do that for me I will do it for you.

Christian M. Hanson
Tactical - Rear Admiral

Awarded:

Hmmm.. Those codes of conduct look long and wordy.. Can't we break it down to:

Code 1) Kill Bad Guys
Code 2) Drinking off duty only
Code 3) Green Slave girls at your own discretion

Commandant Christian M. Hanson wrote:
Hmmm.. Those codes of conduct look long and wordy.. Can't we break it down to:

Code 1) Kill Bad Guys
Code 2) Drinking off duty only
Code 3) Green Slave girls at your own discretion

You and me are going to be great friends.

No matter what I say, or how you may take it. I'm only saying it because I stand up for what I believe in. You should never take it personally, if you do that for me I will do it for you.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Suggestions Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: