View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisler

re: Concerning Promotions and Awards

We have a discussion on this beginning of sorts in the news section and I felt that perhaps it might be better to move such a discussion from the news forum to it's own seperate thread.

I understand I am a junior member of this fleet and so I offer the following respectfully. I speak however as someone that has run success "guilds" in numerous games and even full alliances (multi-guild level groups).

From this perspective I can tell you it is way to easy for people to get caught up in awards and rank. They forget all to often that with rank comes responsability. Higher rank in these kinds of organization does not put you in charge of others but actually makes you a servant of others. It is the job of the leadership to create the events and atmosphere that makes people want to be a part of the fleet.

Awards should be something that are special. They should be something of value that must be earned, not something handed out because they exist. They should be rare with years passing and the number of recepients of the higher levels being counted on one hand.

I am not saying this because I think there is an issue within this fleet, I am saying this so those that have not had experience with this kind of a group can understand the perspective.

It is easy to hand out rank like candy and awards like little treats but this cheapens them and in essence cheapens the guild.

Based on the other thread I am curious if the leadership could post for us the criteria for being submitted for consideration of a reward. I mean in my experience these required such things as the action being taken during a scheuled and sanctioned fleet activity. The event had to usually be witnessed by at least one command rank officer and one long standing member at the time of the event.

I could go into a full criuteria that I have used in the past for such things but I think you get the idea. I always made sure that the members knew the criteria at all times.

I would also agree with another post in the thread in question concerning proper behavior. There is a right and wrong way to post grievances and to disagree with something. The right way is to first do so in private.

I make this post to not provide answers or even say I know how to deal with these things. I make this post to fprovide a place for an adult dicsussion among the members of the fleet to present questions on these matters and to give the leadership a place to provide those answers.

If I have overstepped my position then I apologise now and if I have offended someone with this post I respectfully ask the leadership to remove the thread.
Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

Well first of. That is a well written post and i dont think ou offended anyone with it what u said was both true and correct, but within this fleet we have our way of doing things. First concerning rank rank is given based on how long u have been in the fleet up to the commander lvl. after that being promoted to captain and above like you says requires a desicion made by the flag staff on the individuals performance, attitude, and character during fleet7 activities, and even then we are reluctant as we dont want to many captains so we are selective. concerning awards. we do of course have the fleet membership days awards which are self explainatory( think i spelled that worng), but all of the other awards have their own meaning and explanation on how to obtain them. We dont just give them out "willy nilly" you have to earn the certain ones by meeting their criteria. Now there have been certain times where one or more staff members has made an award right on the spot and given it out, but thats because 1 wasnt already an award and 2 he/they felt it was nessacary to recognize the individual in that particular event or thing they did.

I hope that answers some of your questions. If you still have more questions or didnt fully understand my answers(i mix words it happens ) then feel free to post a reply or send me a pm

FLTCAPT Anton Mercer COMFLTOPTAC and CO of TF-73

Awarded:

Good post Sir. Time In Service promotions are limited to LCDR/MAJ max. Promotion to CDR/LTCOL requires flag approval AND a specific billet assignment. Any questions, let me know.

Chief of Staff

Awarded:

re: Re: Concerning Promotions and Awards

Mopar63 wrote:
Higher rank in these kinds of organization does not put you in charge of others but actually makes you a servant of others. It is the job of the leadership to create the events and atmosphere that makes people want to be a part of the fleet.

Well said. Running a guild is not an easy task, even under the best of circumstances.

Forum Image
Forum Image

Speaking as COMFLTWARDEV, it's a tough balance, isn't it?

For us to develop both as individuals and as a Fleet, we require feedback. Many times that feedback comes via titles, promotions, ($$ in RL) or other performance-based awards, etc. Sometimes, the feedback comes in a more negative fashion via demotions, terminations, written reprimands, etc.

Too much positive feedback and everyone's a Chief. Too little and/or too much negative feedback and all the Indians quit on the Chiefs. So long as there's a documented system for handing out this feedback (which there is), then all of it is in everyone's best interests, whether a Flying Cross Award or a Ben Axed Award or (my favorite one I ever got) the infamous Big Nerd Award. We also have to trust our Chiefs to exercise a little latitude from time to time.

Developmentally speaking, of course Happy

I will be trying my best to be around more soon before my Chiefs send me my own feedback ... that special slice of Terry's Pain Cake, which I'm certain I won't want seconds of.

//FiGiN

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: