View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anomalous Life Form

re: Suggestion: Forum structure to reflect Command structure.

Forum Image

You may already have this in the works. However, considering the upcoming changes to the Command structure, I am not making this suggestion lightly. I fully realize that it will create more work for the web admin who has been working very hard. It shows. That having been said...

I think that it would be beneficial to all concerned if the forums were structured to reflect the Command structure.

Example:

Fleet Commander (FLTCMDR)

Deputy Fleet Commander (DEPFLTCMDR)

Office of the Chief of Staff (CoS)

> Chief of Operations (CoO)

>>Chief of Resources (CoR)

>>Commander 7th ITS(COM7ITS)

>>Strike Group Commander (COMSTKGRP) (Fleet only)

>>>Task Force Commander (COMTSKFOR)

>Chief of Development (CoD)

>Public Information Officer (PIO)

>Fleet Recruiting Officer (FLTRECO)

>Fleet Ambassador (FLTAMB)

>Commandant 7th Marine Division (COM7MD)

>>Task Force Commander (COMTSKFOR)

>Fleet Graphic Artist (FGA)

Reasons listed below.

1. I believe this structure would allow the entire fleet to better coordinate efforts with each other and external organizations.

2. As the "Lucky 7th" increases in activity levels, you may have noticed that the "Last forum Posts" widget to the left has become less useful to keep track of specific announcements. Sub forums would make important information that concerns specific offices within the fleet much easier to find.

2a. Less time spent digging for information and more time spent in game enjoying your STO experience.

3. Visitors can get a better idea of what we are doing and this could also be where we allow for requests for fleet alliances under the Fleet Ambassador's section.

4. The Command Structure would be "in your face" and that much easier to understand who falls under who.

5. Most importantly, I fully realize that this is asking a lot of the web admin who has been doing an awesome job. However, I do think that this would make that job much easier in the long run.

with respect,
D. Flint
RebelWeasel

I love your ideas, Derek Flint. I think it is true, that having forum structure follow rank structure might make it easier to follow. I have always been a fan of the concept that simplicity and consistency are the parents of good organization in any format.

If I might add a suggestion, new members or prospective members looking to join the 7th will not be immediately familiar with the ranking structure for the 7th. The terminology itself is confusion, when digging for information. If the forum were re-structured to follow the new rank structure, then the names of the individual forums might be best understood with a very short "civilian" description tag of what that forum is meant to be about. These descriptions could be sharply concise summaries taken directly from the rank descriptions written by Admiral Lang here:

http://www.fleet7.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5562186&gid=84053

Also, because full descriptions of each rank title is lengthy, and the real information you are trying to convey in your forum titles is the PURPOSE of the forum, it might be simplest to only use the abbreviations for the rank of each forum.

If I could use your forum title examples for my own, then some of those headings could look like this:

(FLTCMDR) & (DEPFLTCMDR) -- Command Announcements

(CoS) -- Personnel & Administration

(CoO) -- Operations & Activities

(CoR) -- Bank & Resources

(CoD) -- Research & Development

and etcetera.. you get the idea.
Admiral Van Wormer
Science - Admiral

Awarded:

Well said folks. I'll bounce it off Fleet Admiral Fortin!

Jump to: