View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should racial and class skills be permitted in Bat'Leth Tournement?
Yes, let us meet as equals!
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Racial abilities only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Class abilities only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Absolutely not, my Scientist could get hurt
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Absolutely not, my engineer cannot beat a true warrior
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Capt Nannoc
Science - Captain

Awarded:

re: Bat'Leth Tournament Suggestion

As explained, the Bat'Leth Tournament rules do not appear to judge the strongest Bat'Leth fighter. This fact is inconsistent with the purpose of such tournaments in both Federation and KLINGON space.

Hear me out...

Those specializing in "tactical" arts should typically be stronger than those specializing in engineering or science. Yet, we do not permit such individuals to tap into their years of combat training!?

A second and more pure thought is that we allow those indiciduals with strong skin (scales) and sturdy physique to compete, while not allowing the less physical races to use the abilities they were born with (such as catlike quickness or mental abilities).

As an engineer who loves close combat, why should the tacticians be handicapped...bring them on!!!!

Please let me know your thoughts and answer the informal poll if you dare.

Nannoc
CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

I take it you lost.

Awarded:

re: Lost!?

No sir. Have yet to compete, but I do love close quarter combat (not a tactician). Whatever the rules, it is fun. This is not a criticism, it is simply a thought from a warriors mentality. Expect to win when I compete! LOL
Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

I lost to Augerson, who was an engineer, even though I was a tac with full ground spec, but according to you I should have one because my class has those advantages. This is exactly why racial and profession skills are NOT allowed. Every character is fighting on an equal level, both in gear and character wise. If racial abilities were allowed this would be a severe disadvantage to those people playing a race that has none and IMO some racial abilities are overpowered because of stuns or bleeding affects, and if class abilities come into play.. well that may be a bit more even, but then the fight is based on powers and not skill. Doing it the way we do now allows for the player's skill to come forth more on an even battlefield with out any handicaps and its anyone's game. Also You may have meant that we limit passive abilities and such, but passives cannot be controlled. Not harping, just explaining(from my point of view anyway) on why the rules are the way the are

Awarded:

Excellent points and apprecaited. My main concern is that the benefits great strength or a sturdy build provide are magnified when the less physical races are not allowed to use their natural abilities. In essense, those with passive abilities have an advantage over the rest of the field, do they not? Thought there might be a way to balance the playing field. Perhaps not.

From a role playing standpoint, I pride myself on being a competent warrior and want no less than the best my opponent has to offer. I look forward to competing.

Nannoc
Frank Murphy

FritzN wrote:
. I look forward to competing. Nannoc

sorry to point this out but we finished last night.
Capt Nannoc
Science - Captain

Awarded:

Heard it was a blast. Sorry to have missed it. Hoping to participate in the next Tourney and that this was not taken negatively as the event is a great idea.
VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I could be convinced either way on this, and when we're planning the next Bat'Leth Tournament, I think the topic will be thoroughly discussed by the Command Staff.

There was a lot of interest by the participants in making the event occur more often, maybe quarterly. Also, there's a possibility we might be able to work cross faction play into it. We found that we were able to do the whole tournament in one night easily, since the fights are fast, even though we were doing best 2 of 3 matches. That means we could have one faction fight Friday, one faction fight Saturday, and then have a deathmatch between the two champions! Could be a lot of fun.

I have been personally leaning toward trying it next time with rules that would allow you to do anything that you can do, only you would be restricted to wearing just the weapon. Keep it so that the armor, kit and shield are removed and everyone has the same weapon.

But, the more I think about it, why should it be gear restricted? We do not do that for our space PvP. We have some killers in our Fleets that kick everyone else's asses, but for me, this only encourages me to leech all of their knowledge about how to do the skill build, consoles, officer skills, and gear, so that I don't get owned [as badly] the next time. They are all really great about sharing all the information about how they set up their ships, so why not do the same thing on the ground? Why not encourage all of our Fleet to be the best they can be? So, the more I think about it, the more I'm with Nannoc on this one.

We may even be gimping ourselves on the ground by not focusing as much of our attention on our ground gear and builds. Maybe we SHOULD have a full gear contest to encourage the same things we're doing in space. A lot of us have improved quite a bit in this way, through competition and information sharing.

What if we did a "stripped" league, only MK I Bat'Leths and no gear, and a full "geared" league? That way if you hate playing against highly geared players, or ones that have specialized melee skills, you could just play that way, and those who want to do it like we do space PvP could play in the other league.

Keep in mind, even if you are gear stripped, there's racial passives that can give one contestant an advantage over another, and the way you spend your skill points can, too.

My final thoughts on a "stripped" league are, that the biggest advantage of playing the contest gear stripped is that the fights should be a lot faster. We may find that with geared up contests, the fights might take a while. Only one way to find out!

Everybody put in your $0.02 on this one, should be a fun post!
Frank Murphy

Well you cant stop the racial as we found with the bleeding effect so I fought that we could block any of the racial efect I like it the way it is now ( of corse I don't like ground combat so the less I have to worry about the better) but the duel league sounds cool

Jump to: