View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason32
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Wargames Format and Rules

Fellow fleet members,

Lat night the Admiralty was asked about the format and rules for the upcoming Operation Ares 11: Fleet Quarterly Wargames.  While I spoke of the general format changes, I would like to take a moment and place this all in writing for you to review prior to the next Wargames later this month (24-25 Jan).

1. Team selection will begin at 2100hrs EST each night at Starbase Solrac Yatug.  Please be on time if you wish to participate.  It makes it very difficult to finalize team selection when members show up late to the Wargames.
  2. Team selection will be completely random and based on a number/sequence generator that will process and publish the team assignments.
  3. The character/toon you plan on taking into the Wargames is the toon you need to have on the starbase at 2100hrs EST.  Once team selection is published, character changes are not authorized.
  4. Once the system generates the teams, I will publish those in Ventrillo.
  5. Any late arrivals to the event will be assigned to a team solely at the discretion of the Chief of Staff.  All late arrivals must check in with with the CoS for team assignment.
  6. Each team will then decide on a Team Captain.  If teams cannot decide internally, then it will be based on fleet rank with fleet time in service being the final deciding factor.
  7. The random number generator will also select space or ground for Friday night.  It is a 50/50 chance.  The Saturday night event will be the opposite of Friday night.  For instance, if the random generator selects Ground for Friday, then Space will be Saturday. 
  8. Each night of the Wargames has 2 rounds of combat.  Each round consists of a best out of 3 format.  Space night will have a kill count of 15 while ground night will have a kill count of 30.
  9. The space map will be "Cracked Planetoid" and the ground map will be "Assimilated Cruiser".
  10. The Random number generator will also assign teams to the first round bracket.  For instance, it will choose Alpha vs Bravo or Bravo vs Delta etc.
  11. Once team selection is complete, you CANNOT change characters.  This is the only restriction for the wargames.  You can change/bring/equip anything else.  The sky is the limit.
  12. There will be winners for Ground and Space and medals awarded for each night.
  13. In the event of the final round having uneven teams, i.e. 5 vs 4 or 6 vs 5, the Chief of Staff will make the final determination of team composition.  If such an event occurs, the winning team's members must have won the semi-final round to be eligible for the award.  This does not affect the rest of the teams eligibility.  For instance, if we need an additional person to make the teams an even 5 vs 5 and we pick a member from a defeated team, then that member is not eligible for the award.  

Above all, please remember that the Wargames are supposed to be a fun event for the fleet.  For many of you, it will be the most challenging thing you have ever done in STO and we want to keep it that way.  However, if for some reason the Wargames turns out not to be fun anymore, we will seriously evaluate their future within 7th Fleet.

Any questions you might have, feel free to respond to this thread and I will answer accordingly.  Thank you for your time.

-VADM Jason
Chief of Staff

Awarded:

bump

Sirs,

Item 1.  Meeting at Starbase Solrac Yatug at 2100 EST.  Please say this is set in stone and not subject to change by act of God nor Command Officers.   

Item 11.  Does this include ships as well?  I can foresee once a team is created and a Team Captain that knows the various ships/traits, might want to make a few quick changes to optimize chances to win.  However, I would highly recommended only a five minute preparation time for this type of change.  The flip side of the coin is that you come with your best ship and your best weapons load-out and hope for the best.   As always, time is money, friend. 

Respectfully submitted,

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Jason32
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Wupteedo wrote:

Item 1.  Meeting at Starbase Solrac Yatug at 2100 EST.  Please say this is set in stone and not subject to change by act of God nor Command Officers.

Item 11.  Does this include ships as well?  I can foresee once a team is created and a Team Captain that knows the various ships/traits, might want to make a few quick changes to optimize chances to win.  However, I would highly recommended only a five minute preparation time for this type of change.  The flip side of the coin is that you come with your best ship and your best weapons load-out and hope for the best.   As always, time is money, friend. 

Respectfully submitted,

There are only 2 people that can change the 2100 EST start time (and one of those is always on time), so really there is only 1!  Rest assured, I will do my best to make sure he is there on time and ready to go!

Yes, you can change ships.  However, this is not something that generally happens. Most folks come prepared and ready to rock.  Once team selection is complete, we almost always get started right away.  But if this is an issue, when I go over the rules prior to starting team selection I can put out a 5 minute "prep time" max from once teams are dismissed to their current Ventrillo channels to when the first match should start, but generally speaking we don't have too many issues in this area.    

Jason32 wrote:

Yes, you can change ships.  However, this is not something that generally happens. Most folks come prepared and ready to rock.  Once team selection is complete, we almost always get started right away.  But if this is an issue, when I go over the rules prior to starting team selection I can put out a 5 minute "prep time" max from once teams are dismissed to their current Ventrillo channels to when the first match should start, but generally speaking we don't have too many issues in this area.    

I have to agree it's not really ever been an issue.  Most people always bring their top performing ship and those that are wanting to switch have their other one ready to go.  Usually when people do switch ships it's from one night to the other.  Example: I used a BoP my last games I played the first night, night for finals I brought Fleet Vor'cha because I knew I would need it due to other team being tougher.

Generally teams use around 5 minutes for planning between rounds.  This is usually to cover simply stuff like target order or what needs to be focused on during the match.  Most of it's always done by the senior PvP guy on the team so it never takes too long.

Many thanks.  It's all those nagging details that always come into play. 

So bottom line:  Bring best ship/gear and be prepared. 

Jason32
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

bump

Awarded:

Note:  I will announce what type of PvP (space or ground) we will be conducting PRIOR to team selection.  I plan on making this announcement 10 minutes prior to starting.  This allows you to bring the appropriate character of your choosing.  We are doing this as some members of the fleet have characters geared for ground and others geared towards space.  

When a good man goes to war!

"Demons run when a good man goes to war
Night will fall and drown the sun
When a good man goes to war
Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and the dark will rise
When a good man goes to war
Demons run, but count the cost
The battle's won, but the child is lost."

Steven Moffat, Dr. Who, Head Writer

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> General Reference All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: