View previous topic :: View next topic  
~Maiax~

re: POPULAR SCIENCE ARTICLE #7

I am most pleased to announce that my next article is ready for the Fleet members to read and enjoy. Just follow the link below. My usual thanks go to Mr. Shackelford for proofreading.

7: Unity

An interesting article, Marci. The trouble with the PC drill is that it ignores human nature. While human nature can be suppressed in order to achieve some task or objective, it cannot remain submerged for long. Sooner or later, it will override the individual's control and assert itself. As an example, the Army conducted a study and discovered firing rates in the infantry was only around 35% in WW II. This meant that only 35% of soldiers were aiming at the enemy with the intent of shooting him. When the Army changed their training methods, that figure grew to 97% in Vietnam.

The reason for the stark differences between WW II and Vietnam was because the training methodology incorporated human nature as a result of General Marshall's study. Rex Applegate did much the same thing with the OSS and their combat techniques. My point is this: as long as science is subjected to PC considerations, it will forever be bound by observational bias in research thereby limiting the data's interpretation and ultimate results.

This is why I hate the influence of politics on science. As a species, we either want to know the truth or we don't. PC firmly stands in the "don't" category.

Thank you. Mr. Richter, and a good point about the PC being pointless and harmul. It hurts more than it protects indeed.

I also added the following passage to my text:

Congitive psychology confirms that we tend to consider our own group a special one, its members more sophisticated, diversified and capable of more complex, higher feelings, in contrast to outsiders.
We also ascribe more personality and individuality to the members of our own group. We do it on an unconscious level, and unless realized with self-awareness and properly controlled, it may give birth to dogged competition, contempt, aggression, and even racism.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: