Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Group 7 Galactic [G7G]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

re: Interesting read about the multi crew systems...

It thought this was a good article in regards to the multi-crewed ships. It looks like they did some research on the Artemis bridge simulator and various Star Trek renditions. Any thoughts on? This it looks very fun to me. I have included the link below from the letter from the chairman...

After a lot of research and a lot of thinking (and credit where credit is due: a lot of Star Trek viewings and team games of Artemis Bridge Simulator) we’re excited to share with you our plan. As with every design post, this information represents our current thinking, not necessarily the final details. We’re beginning to implement these systems as we look forward to Squadron 42 Chapter 1 and Arena Commander 2.0 … and like everything else in the game, they will be tweaked and improved as we see them in action and get real player feedback.

Letter from the Chairman

Pretty neat, not really something I would be interested in.  If I ever get back into, Freelancer size would probably be as big as I go.

Interesting indeed.  There are times where they seem to overwhelm us with information.  The "Den" is all ablaze about this and other items that popped up this week.   Just too much data for this old Virginia County Boy to take in. 

Don't forget to take the "Hotas" Poll. 

On a happy gaming note, my BenQ 27" monitor came yesterday! 

Cheers

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

HunterAP

My pessimism continues.

The goal of this summit has been to sync up the rest of studios with the incredibly talented team at Foundry 42 for the major push to release the first chapter of Squadron 42 towards the back half of next year. It has been a fantastic week, full of passionate debate and pure creativity that I’m proud to say drives this project… but while we’ve been heads down making sure Squadron 42 lives up to the larger vision for Star Citizen, it seems a stretch goal or two may have passed! :)

The point of this meeting was to nail things down so that they can get a product released.  In the very next paragraph they're talking about, "stretch goals," and adding new functionality.  This is the very definition of feature creep, and why Roberts failed to deliver Freelancer when he was leading that project.

My biggest concern is that they're trying to appease EVERYONE with this game, and that's just not possible.  So many features, so many varied types of game play.  Single player, multi-player, MMO, FPS, Artemis, pets...  Roberts has no lack of vision, but he lacks direction.  To say that I'll be surprised if Squadron 42 is released next year would be an understatement.

HunterAP wrote:

My pessimism continues.

The goal of this summit has been to sync up the rest of studios with the incredibly talented team at Foundry 42 for the major push to release the first chapter of Squadron 42 towards the back half of next year. It has been a fantastic week, full of passionate debate and pure creativity that I’m proud to say drives this project… but while we’ve been heads down making sure Squadron 42 lives up to the larger vision for Star Citizen, it seems a stretch goal or two may have passed! :)

The point of this meeting was to nail things down so that they can get a product released.  In the very next paragraph they're talking about, "stretch goals," and adding new functionality.  This is the very definition of feature creep, and why Roberts failed to deliver Freelancer when he was leading that project.

My biggest concern is that they're trying to appease EVERYONE with this game, and that's just not possible.  So many features, so many varied types of game play.  Single player, multi-player, MMO, FPS, Artemis, pets...  Roberts has no lack of vision, but he lacks direction.  To say that I'll be surprised if Squadron 42 is released next year would be an understatement.

Agreed, unfortunately.

Awarded:

HunterAP wrote:

My pessimism continues.

To be mildly pedantic, I'd say it's more accurate he lacks focus, rather than direction. He and his team seem to be going several directions at once.

Awarded:

The more I read from Chris Roberts, the more I agree with Huckabee.  I'd rather have the game I donated to/purchased soon and pay for DLC-type upgrades in the future than to keep waiting for additional features to be added to the game with the potential to push its release.  $64 million - before the game even comes out - is a lot of money especially when there is little to show for it other than a brief simulator.  Mr. Roberts was a gaming genius when he was younger, and he got me to save up $500 to buy a hard drive for my IBM PS2/25 just so I could play Wing Commander like my friends.  Here's hoping Star Citizen is 2015's Wing Commander, and not the next Battlecruiser 300AD.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Group 7 Galactic [G7G] All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: