Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Solutions and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CitizenJonesy

re: Can no longer log into STO

Since the newest patch, I can no longer log into the game. I tried asking someone on Vent, but I can't log into that either (it's almost like the universe doesn't want me playing anymore)!
All I get is the following (this isn't mine, I had to borrow this from the internet;when I tried to put mine, nothing showed up):

I've tried all of the different remedies I've found online, but none of them worked.I used to just keep trying to log in, and eventually be let in, but that's not working anymore. It's made it to the point that if I don't solve it soon, I'm deleting the game. I will not get frustrated over a game; I'll stop playing first.

davisjm0311

If you can't log into vent or STO I'd guess you're having a computer issue and not a game issue.  Whatever you tried to link isn't showing up for me.

CitizenJonesy

re: I'm done.

Screw it. I'm no longer willing to deal with this. I am uninstalling the game. Which is too bad, since, when I was able to play, I enjoyed myself. One of the reasons I quit smoking was so that I could play STO for more than an hour at a time. Since I won't be playing anymore, there's no reason to remain on this site, so I will be tendering my resignation in short order.

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

Where is my Chief Engineer? This man needs help! Ticonderoga to Mr. Kerry come in Mr. Kerry...

Awarded:

It is a game DirectX issue. I had the problem on my laptop and followed the instructions listed below. It worked, but, as a precaution, I used the DX 9 setting for my video card. I now log in with ease.

Originally Posted by startrek6000 

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I was able to fix on my computer the same errors that the OP was seeing. The way I solved this was by clicking on options on the log in window, then I selected safe mode (I didn't even know this was possible before today). Then I logged in with safe mode on, and went into the game and opened the options menu.

Then I went to display tab, for video card I changed it to the driver my computer is using (it was set to auto, which I think was causing the crash). I think this is the bug some people are seeing.

This seemed to work for me, and I was not able to log in the game since season 10 went live (I had dozens of failed attempts). I hope this helps somebody.

Last edited by Dr. Collin McGee on 04/24/15 19:27; edited 1 time in total

"No Horizon, Too Distant"
Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

kid3366 wrote:

It is a game Directx issue. I had the problem on my laptop and followed the instructions listed below. It worked, but, as a precaution, I used the DX 9 setting for my video card. I now log in with ease.

Originally Posted by startrek6000 

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I was able to fix on my computer the same errors that the OP was seeing. The way I solved this was by clicking on options on the log in window, then I selected safe mode (I didn't even know this was possible before today). Then I logged in with safe mode on, and went into the game and opened the options menu.

Then I went to display tab, for video card I changed it to the driver my computer is using (it was set to auto, which I think was causing the crash). I think this is the bug some people are seeing.

This seemed to work for me, and I was not able to log in the game since season 10 went live (I had dozens of failed attempts). I hope this helps somebody.

Thank you sir.  Its a good place to start.  Hopefully he'll see this.

Awarded:

This sounds like an issue i was experiencing for a few months. Random games / Programs would just not work correctly, or work very poorly, when they used to work so well. Took me a few months to finally nail it down, all the affected programs were on a faulty hard drive. I run with 3 hard drives on my desktop, a 240gig SSD for my boot / Windows partition, a 300gig (10,000 RPM) drive for the intensive games, and a 3 TB (7200RPM) Drive for everything else. The 300gig drive was dying.

If you are running on a laptop, chances are, you have 1 (maybe 2) partitions. A lot of laptops have a C Drive and a Restore Drive. Here is what i would suggest:

Run a Check Disk on your C Drive, or if you install games / programs on another drive, run check disk on that too. To get to check disk, go to your computer, right click the drive in question, and hit Properties. Navigate to the TOOLS tab, and find Error-Checking. Run the Error Checker. This may take quite some time, depending on Size of drive, and amount used.

Second Step: Under Error-Checking you will find Disk Defragmenter. Run this by Analyzing the disk, then Defragmenting. This should be done on a semi-regular basis, as any hard drive fragments its files as at goes about its business. Mine is set to defrag once a week.

Thid Step: Check your Geforce Drivers. See if they are up to date. http://www.geforce.com/drivers If they are not up to date, try updating. If they ARE up to date, and after Steps 1 and 2, you still have issues, then you can try installing an older version of a driver. Sometimes newer drivers just dont work with certain versions of games.

After you finish each step, make sure you Reboot your computer (not hibernate or sleep, make sure it shuts down) If you still have no luck, please post again, and i will dig further to try to find other solutions.

Good Luck

Awarded:

I hope I didn't over step any boundries, but I pulled up his e-mail and sent him the following message:

Citizen Jonesy,

I am contacting you through you personal e-mail to help you log into the game.  This is an issue that happens from time to time.  Those of us with 5+ years in the 7th Fleet have seen this issue arise with numerous members of the fleet.  We are here to assist you, but not all of us are online all the time.  Patience is needed. 

I am the Chief Engineer of the fleet, and my primary duties are to assist when the game isn't working or when there is a PC related problem that affects the normal operation of your PC, causing you to have general problems.  I am a tier 5 end user support technician with 23 yrs. of experience.  I work for an multinational company, supporting PCs around the world.

There were a number of posts that came in after yours, which are from competent long timers in the fleet.  Many of which have had your problem.  I've had it myself a couple of times.  kid3366 had a good post that addressed the DirectX function of your video card.   Greenhaven (xivim) also had some good things you can do.

STO Season 10 was a major revamp, which mainly effects the video card of your PC with an increase in the amount of data hitting it.  It sounded as though you could get to the login window for the game.  A number of members have suggest using the "Options" function on this window, but the Cryptic has changed the functions in the Options window and removed the safe mode functions to launch the game. 

Here are some things to do:
1.  Go into Windows "Control Panel" - go to "Internet Options" - in the first tab click the "Delete" button towards the bottom - check everything but Forms and Passwords and click the button "Delete".
2.  Launch the game Launcher window - you will see the small window that eventually gives you the "Engage" button.  In the Windows toolbar area at the bottom of the display you will see the black Star Trek chevron - right click on it and in the popup right click on "Cryptic Game Launcher".  In the next layer of popups choose "Properties".  In the Properties window click the "Compatibility tab at the top - click the "Change settings for all users" button toward the bottom and select the bottom check box "Run this program as an administrator" - click the Apply" button and then OK.  This will keep the game in an administrator mode every time you launch it.  You may want to do this for the Ventrilo icon also. 
3.  In the "Options" of the Game Launcher (Top edge toward the right), you can check "Force Verify".  This verifies the integrity of all the game files.  It takes a long time to do this, so patience is a must.

Question - can you get to the Character menu in the game?  If you can, the "Options" menu is in the lower right hand corner, and you can lower the details in the "Display" settings, including dropping the video card function from Auto to DirectX9 (top of the list).  Also the "Graphics" tab at the top can be tweaked to lower the impact on your video card.  The "Advanced" tab also has functions to lower the impact on your system.

Out side of doing these things, there are some system tweaks that can enhance the overall function of your PC and video card.  I will address those if needed.  First start with the above.  And, place log into the website and post your progress.  You can read through the messages that have been posted by our other members.  They made some very good suggestions, also. Our members are very sympathetic to your situation and are willing to help any way we can.  Many of us have been in this situation.

Sincerely,

JT

--
Fleet Captain JT Kerry

Last edited by VADM JT Kerry on 04/26/15 1:45; edited 2 times in total

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Here are the specs on your Video card:

Specifications

Note: The below specifications represent the GPU features available. Actual implementation may vary by OEM model. Please refer to OEM website for actual shipping specifications.

GPU Engine Specs

CUDA Cores
Processor Clock (MHz)
990MHz
Gigaflops

Memory Specs

Memory Clock
Up to 1066 (DDR3), Up to 800 (GDDR3)MHz
Memory Interface Width
128-bit

Feature Support

OpenGL
Bus Support
PCI-E 2.0
Supported Technologies2
SLI, CUDA, PhysX
Power Management

Display Support

Multi Monitor
Yes
Maximum Digital Resolution
2560x1600
Maximum VGA Resolution
2048x1536
Standard Display Connectors
Dual Link DVI
DisplayPort
HDMI
VGA
Single Link DVI
HDMI4
Yes

This card should be good enough to play the game.  If the game crashes before the character list, I may need to connect through a remote connection software - Teamviewer - to tweak the video card settings. NVidia drivers allow tweaks at the game level. 

JT

VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Thank you for your interest and concern, FCapt. Kerry, but not only have I already uninstalled the software, after seeing the OBSCENE amount of hard drive space it ate up on my laptop, I have no intention of reinstalling it ever again!

Besides, all the time I wasted on STO (when not struggling with crashes and Server Not Responding every seconds) has put me far behind on a lot of projects I have neglected. So, to put it succinctly, my time playing MMORPG's is over.

Thank you again, Fleet Captain. However, I'm just going to go away, now.

Channel closed.

Former Ensign Jonesy.

This was the e-mail I received in response.  I was surprised by this response.  His reapplication said 3yrs. of playing.  All of the problems he has stated, quit a number of us have endured for 5+yrs.  I have gotten in the habit of dummying down my in game video setting just before the release of a new season.  Then after the first month of two to four patches a week, when they start going back to the Thursday morning patch, I know it is stable enough to ratchet up those settings and see what my system can handle.  I know my main PC can handle it, I only had to worry about my laptop.  Interesting...

JT

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

FltCapt JT Kerry -- Thank you for posting.  I certainly learned a few things as well. 

"So shines a good deed in an otherwise wicked world!" - Willy Wonka

Qapla!

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

FCPT JT Kerry wrote:
Thank you for your interest and concern, FCapt. Kerry, but not only have I already uninstalled the software, after seeing the OBSCENE amount of hard drive space it ate up on my laptop, I have no intention of reinstalling it ever again!

Besides, all the time I wasted on STO (when not struggling with crashes and Server Not Responding every seconds) has put me far behind on a lot of projects I have neglected. So, to put it succinctly, my time playing MMORPG's is over.

Channel closed.

Former Ensign Jonesy.

This was the e-mail I received in response.  I was surprised by this response.  His reapplication said 3yrs. of playing.  All of the problems he has stated, quit a number of us have endured for 5+yrs.  I have gotten in the habit of dummying down my in game video setting just before the release of a new season.  Then after the first month of two to four patches a week, when they start going back to the Thursday morning patch, I know it is stable enough to ratchet up those settings and see what my system can handle.  I know my main PC can handle it, I only had to worry about my laptop.  Interesting...

JT

Removed from site, retired on roster, and toons are retired from the Fleet.  Sorry to see that it worked out that way.  Mr. Kerry, your outstanding effort to help this player is greatly appreciated, even though the result wasn't what you had hoped for.  And thanks to all for all the great troubleshooting information in this thread!

Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

VADM Kor wrote:
FCPT JT Kerry wrote:

Channel closed.

Former Ensign Jonesy.

JT

Removed from site, retired on roster, and toons are retired from the Fleet.  Sorry to see that it worked out that way.  Mr. Kerry, your outstanding effort to help this player is greatly appreciated, even though the result wasn't what you had hoped for.  And thanks to all for all the great troubleshooting information in this thread!

Yes, thank you JT & Mr. Kor and Mr. Kid apologies... Thanks to everyone whom doth the flames of the OP

Last edited by Fleet Admiral E. Fortin on 04/28/15 19:48; edited 3 times in total

Awarded:

Thank you, Shack, for acknowledging I attempted to offer assistance.

Talk about feeling invisible... wow!

"No Horizon, Too Distant"
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Solutions and Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: