View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Moonlight
Tactical - Captain

re: Total War

This might be a bit Nieche - but has anyone played / enjoyed the Total War series (Rome / Napoleon / Empire stc...) ???

Its like STO (but more so) insomuchas it is a real rock paper scissors bashup - but meets chess / Command and Conquer. Different dynamic to this though.

I loved the series and used to play a lot.

Just wondered...

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

I have seen these games, but was probably playing others things that caught my eye/credit card (Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri kept me busy for about a year).  Then there were the on-line distractions (Everquest, Tribes (old school), WoW).  However, I spent a lot of time playing these games back in the 90's.

http://www.gog.com/game/lords_of_the_realm_royal_edition

Also, VADM Kor reminded me of another old favorite that he was currently playing, which brought back many found memories as well: 

Hat Tip to VADM Kor for this website:

http://www.gog.com/

Qapla'

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Captain Moonlight
Tactical - Captain

that screen shot looks a lot like Medievil 2 Total War.

I think the high point of the series (for me) was Napoleon Total War. a very visceral and visually stunning game that was highly addictive and very playable online in PvP battles. very smooth and very quick. like I said, it was chess on steroids.

Command and Conquer was like my first sweetheart (in gaming terms) and I stayed faithful for years. Later on it became clunky and cartoony with less strategy and more robot close combat which I didn't really go for.

STO is my first MMORPG. I am a treaky which is why I am here - I couldnt see getting into another as I really don't have the interest. the Genre has brought me here as a treky. Without this I would be sending an forces fourth and building an empire somewhere less MMO.

I have reached the end of the story arc here (near enough) and have almost exhausted every mission for the accolade ribbon - not an easy task with so many accolades bugged to death. I was thinking of a bit of an extra marital affair with perhaps total war again - and wodered if anyone had their finger on that pulse.

Ive' just been caught posting and...

Mrs Captain Moonlight calls me a geek - and looking back at my Trekism, online gaming, Knowing of the history of every campaign of note in history and knowing the difference between a neutrino and a graviton - I am coming to terms with the fact, she is right.

So on that note, any recomendations for other games that may be worthy of investigation?

CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

I played Empire some.  It was really neat, but I never fully got into it.  I would for sure though if they released a Star Wars version.  I know that they are doing a Warhammer sometime soon for Total War.

The only thing I play on PC when not on here is MechWarrior Online.  It goes along the FPS genre, but it relies more on tactics and teamwork.  It's neat tweaking your mech with loadouts, but sadly there is a "meta" that kinda dictates effective builds.  It's not too bad playing solo, but the game best plays if you can find a group to be part of to work together.  That's the hard part though, at least it has been for me.  I've been in 1 really large group were they treated me like a number and moved me within the unit to another group of guys without telling me, even though I'd formed a 7th like bond with the guys I was playing with.  Then another group where they didn't show any respect toward members that had different opinions from "command".   Then others just have strict restrictions that make it impossible to be a casual player.  That's what keeps me from playing it more and the fact it lacks solid content.  But it's really fun when you dive into it.

Like Wupteedo said, I've been looking at picking up some of the older Star Wars games to pass time with on GoG.

This game is currently under development and getting a lot of "buzz."

http://www.warhorsestudios.cz/

I think I'm a Baron here.

This was a lot of fun for me: 

http://www.mountandbladewarband.com/game-info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_%26_Blade:_With_Fire_%26_Sword

So many games, so little time!

Qapla'

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Beyond the Galaxy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: