View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larishet

re: War Thunder - Best Arcade Flight Sim

I went looking around for a sim this weekend that was better than World of Tanks and was less frustrating if your team failed. I found War Thunder. The game currently has arcade, historical, and full realism play types. However, if your plane gets shot down, you can queue up another or just quit altogether. They supposedly plan on adding playable army and navy portions to the air (which is already beautiful).

The good (and bad) part about this game are the control options. This is by far the easiest game to control with a mouse and has more customization options than other sims. However, they haven't ironed out the joystick issues yet so use it at your own risk.

Here's a video of the Russian biplane called the Chalka (currently the best biplane). I don't suggest on playing as Germany or Japan as both are known to be extremely underpowered in Arcade mode especially.

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Whoa, looks awesome, but I know my computer and video card won't be able to handle it. Wish I could handle more than 1.5 games at a time (STO & MW, both badly). Thank you for posting.
CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

I recommend getting into the World of Warplanes beta if you get a chance to get an invite to it.

im in WoWP, but cant get used to the controls ( no joystick)

Frank Murphy wrote:
im in WoWP, but cant get used to the controls ( no joystick)

x10 better with Joystick. Name is Huckabee in game.

I really do like War Thunder. It requires a mouse even though I would rather play with a joystick. I'll post videos when I can. The reason I chose War Thunder was:

-Planes don't have health points. Instead, each component is modeled separately. If you want to saw off a plane's wing, you literally have to shoot enough holes through the same spot in the wing. Pieces of a plane like the rudder and elevator are fragile and can come off rather easily in one burst if hit.

-You can repair at an airfield if your plane is full of holes. You can actually land a critically damaged plane missing part of a wing and still get back in the fight after waiting for repairs. The only way you die in the air is if your fuselage is blown apart or your pilot dies.

-Games are rarely won by last man standing. If you don't destroy those ground targets, they can cause you to lose.

-You have more than one plane. My British lineup includes a Spitfire, Beaufighter, Hurricane II, and a Beaufort bomber. If I lose one plane in battle, I can take off with a different one.
CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

Sounds kinda similar to Star Conflict. Good space fighter game, just didn't really peak my interest past 2 weeks.

World of Warplanes is got a high skill curve for sure due to some of the hardcores. Real downside is everyone just cares about kills and some will shoot up your tail just to try and get the guy your already on. Most though it's just a team effort to take the guy down and watch their burst. However I helped some guy out the other day in a fight and got the kill easy since the plane was already shot to pieces. What did I get? Half my health gone from his guns bitching about me poaching "his" kill. Stupid prick.

There's no lack of friendly fire and planes smacking into each other, unfortunately. Its worth checking out if you play WoWP.

Arcade battles are one of the three modes and what I usually play. Planes have boosted controls and boosted acceleration. If you are looking for more realism or maps, you have to play the Historical or Full Realism battle mode. Note that both HB and FR modes give much more rewards than arcade.

Historical battles attempt to recreate history. You can still have third person view but airplanes will act without boosted controls or acceleration. There are no respawns as you are limited to one plane and you have to land to reload. You can play with either a joystick or a mouse although a joystick will probably be easier.

Full realism is exactly how it sounds. You won't be able to "gun it" to take off anymore and you can put your plane into a flat spin. You are limited to cockpit view and playing with a joystick is all but mandatory. Also, like historical, you have no respawns and you have to land to reload.
Cleo Mavendorf
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

Just wondering if any of you guys have started playing in the ground war here? I think this game outdoes WoT in every possible way

Awarded:

Does the 7th have a group in War Thunder?

CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

LT Cabcrow wrote:

Don't believe so.  I've not heard talk on here about it in awhile.  I know a few were playing it when the tank portion hit.  I'm sure there might be some that still play it.

Awarded:

LCDR Cabcrow wrote:

Sadly we do not...I would love to have my 7th fleetmates as my wingmen in these awesome tank battles though

I played this for a bit.  Got screwed out of an event reward and I haven't played since.  The game is quite fun, but it has an obvious Russian bias.  Also, the pricing is pretty jacked up.

Awarded:

Yeah, two different dev teams, one of which is Russian. They do all the Russian tech trees and therefore they bias the shit out of it, unlike the Kiwi team, which does everything else

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Beyond the Galaxy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: