View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Axe

re: Good vs great leadership

I remember a Boy Scout leader who was old and wise. He was patient and kind and never gave up. I was not very good at knots and he sat with me for a long time trying to teach me a very difficult knot. He showed me over and over again with patient kindness. Finally after some time he looked at me and said, "What are you stupid, boy?" It was funny then and even now but that leader did not stop trying to teach me. Finally, after some time and effort I tied the knot and was so proud. I eventually did the knot for my badge and earned my way up to Eagle Scout. It was leaders like Mr. John Wilkers, who helped me be the man I am today and showed me to never give up and never stop helping others. When I was having a problem, over and over again here in the 7th, one leader finally saw that I wasn't getting it and walked me through how it was done. Now I know I am the topic of some jokes, but in the end, instead of reprimand, this leader helped me out. This is one way a good leader can be a great one.

Fleet Captain Sam Axe 

VADM Wulfric Richter CoS
Tactical - Vice Admiral

I have always believed that leadership was the art of making people do what you wanted them to do, because they wanted to do it. That means that it is the leader's job to inspire. Allow me to explain, everyone has difficulty with something. Like you and that knot, for example. It is the job of the leader to overcome that difficulty thus clearing your path to success. Sometimes it takes patience, sometimes it takes grit, but it always pays off.

The scoutmaster you remember had patience, but he was responding to your desire to learn. There are some of the finest men I have ever known who are members of this fleet. They like to have a good time, they like to joke, but they will always stand by you. That is rare in life, but good men attract others.

I see in you a leader capable of doing much. You galvanized the junior officers and assumed the duties of a Fleet Officer as an ensign, and that speaks volumes about you, sir. It also speaks volumes about our fleet leadership. So you have a little trouble with posting in the right forum, if that is the worst mistake that you ever make in the fleet, I think that we can live with it.

The hallmark of the leader is the "follow me" attitude. A leader must know his men, he must train them as a team, he must look out for their care and welfare, and so on. But first, he must set the example. Owning your mistake is a good start and shows that you have moral character and the guts to admit that you are wrong. That's something else that this world sorely lacks these days.

I suppose that I am trying to say is don't sweat the small stuff. And it's almost all small stuff. Just do your best, be true to your core beliefs, and look out for your fellows. Do that, and nobody will give a damn about posting in the wrong topic, though we may grit our teeth. ;-)

Knightnblu wrote:

So you have a little trouble with posting in the right forum

LOL Axe... you're never going to live this down.  For years it will be "fleet modules" and "Ribbon Requests."

VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

T'Kiera wrote:
Knightnblu wrote:

LOL Axe... you're never going to live this down.  For years it will be "fleet modules" and "Ribbon Requests."

Could be worse; could be remembered for a certain incident in another sci-fi game resulting in the loss of an expensive ship...(which, in that game, is a permanent loss).

Awarded:

Capt pRett wrote:
T'Kiera wrote:
Knightnblu wrote:

Could be worse; could be remembered for a certain incident in another sci-fi game resulting in the loss of an expensive ship...(which, in that game, is a permanent loss).

you know what .... that's totally true heed that warning.. 

Jump to: