View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBob357

re: Need feedback - Possible Canon Events

Based on some of the comments in the Event Poll thread, and conversations I've had with some of you in vent, I think we should try to plan a canon event in the near future. But before I start brainstorming I wanted to get some general feedback. Some specific questions I have are:

1) What gear limitations should be imposed?

2) Would you prefer Era-specific events (i.e. TOS only), or mixed (i.e. TOS, TNG, DS9, etc.)?

3) What are your thoughts on Tier requirements?

For example, I would limit gear to standard drop items and fleet gear only, regardless of MK/rarity. So basically no special mission rewards, reputation gear, or special consoles from ships. I don't personally have a preference on Era-specific events, but I do think ship tier should be event appropriate. So if we did a canon PvP event, we would all have to agree to use the same tier, or be OK with potentially facing someone in a higher tier vessel. These are of course just my inut u all thoughts so please fee km free to disagree, and have your voice heard. I will do my best to plan fun and interesting events, but your input  will let me do this much more effectively.

Thanks in advance, 

FCPT Cain

Awarded:

First off; congratulations on the promotion sir.

Secondly; if we could organise teams so that each has a set number of ships per tier (e.g. 1 Tier 6, 2 non Tier 6 Fleet, and the rest bog standard ships, all with the gear restrictions you have already said.) It could be a way to promote teamwork and small group tactical ingenuity. Just an idea.

CDR Cabcrow

The thunder from down under
Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

I'd rather go with a tier or ship restriction then a gear restriction. All too many times we've had people, myself included sad to say, show up to an event and be like "there was a gear restriction? Oh I don't have any of the required gear , Where to I get it?" At least with a tier/ship restriction, most players have at least one of each tier, whether just needed to rebuy it from a store or pulling it out of drydock. Just my two cents.

Congrats on the promotion Cain.

I have some ideas if you want to have a look at them regarding team set up on ship tier restrictions. Please note I'm very tired when typing this post so you'll have to forgive me if i make a typo or if you wish to later change names.

with that said, I was thinking of having multiple options for members to choose from regarding their ship restrictions I'll order them through battle groups.

Battle Group Alpha: Ship restrictions are as follows, 1x Fleet T6 ship, up to 3 T5 Fleet ships, up to 2 non fleet T6 ships. up to 5 non fleet T5 or lower ships.

Fleet Battle Group: Ship restrictions are as follows, At most 2 Fleet T6 ships, up to 5 T5 Fleet ships

Battle Group Omega: Ship restrictions are as follows, At most 2 Fleet T6 ships, up to 4 ship of any kind

Battle Group Shuttle: Pretty self explanatory, A team of 5 shuttles.

But to make it a little fairer for people make it so if one team wants to use a team build of the Fleet Battle Group that team would be against a team with the same team build. That way a shuttle team wouldn't be going up against a Fleet Battle Group team. Obviously I'm basing this on a PvP match that is 5 people against 5, but if you want higher numbers you could possibly mix and match an Alpha team with an Omega team and have the opponents have the same team builds as well, or you can change the numbers of the above.

If you need some extra help I'm here if you need me, at this moment I'm very tired so tomorrow I can post something about the gear limitations if you'd be willing to look at it. I'd tell you in vent but I'm out all weekend for some R&R with family so I wont be able to hop on and talk to you guys.

Mitch

Us crazy Aussies need to stick together
Valeʼncynos
Engineering - Captain

The past canon events I attended the goal was trying to outline the ships allowed per the era, restricting gear to common with a set max MK level, and having each respective faction limited to a set weapon type ie. fed phasers, klinks disruptors etc etc.  Personally for me the gear restriction would make things some what even.  Most common items are easily bought at a starbase or in the exchange.  Then there is the listing of what abilities are allowed  and not allowed, and the discussion of is it canon or not, after the fleet support or photonic fleet was used.  95% of making this work will be making sure people keep up to date with what ever is decided on so that there are minimal Mercer events,  No offense.

Valeʼncynos wrote:

so that there are minimal Mercer events,  No offense.

That sounds like a interesting can of worms to open up.

Us crazy Aussies need to stick together
Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

LT CMDR. Mitchell. D. Ries wrote:
Valeʼncynos wrote:

so that there are minimal Mercer events,  No offense.

That sounds like a interesting can of worms to open up.

Pretty sure he was just referring to the "gear restriction? didn't know.. where do i get it" part of my post, and if he's not he'll have to enlighten us....

Anton Mercer wrote:

I'd rather go with a tier or ship restriction then a gear restriction. All too many times we've had people, myself included sad to say, show up to an event and be like "there was a gear restriction? Oh I don't have any of the required gear , Where to I get it?" At least with a tier/ship restriction, most players have at least one of each tier, whether just needed to rebuy it from a store or pulling it out of drydock. Just my two cents.

Agreed. Or as an alternative, just go with minimal gear restrictions and have at it. Having a laundry list of gear restrictions can put a damper on things. Another thing that could be done, especially given the emphasis on time travel recently, is to create a mission where teams will need to travel back in time to protect a Connie or a D-7 from an opposing force. If the TOS ship dies, you lose. You could even go further back and use an old NX-01 Enterprise class ship to protect.

The idea is to think outside of the box and be creative. Just a thought.

It is as Mercer says, at each event there has been those that show up unprepared blissfully unaware of the restrictions and listings of abilities.

Jump to: