Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Solutions and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Issues with the Game Launcher and in game stability

A number of individuals have had this issue with the game either not starting or crapping out while in use.  FCPT Davis and others have assisted members in dummying down DirectX from DX11 to DX9.  Nimmoth wrote the most recent response to correct this issue in Got Problems in Engineering: (corrected some wording)

Nimmoth:

75% percent of the problems with STO are directx related....try this easy fix (I've had to use it before, and later i switched it back to dx11 though)

On the STO Launcher, click Options and scroll down to the command line. Simply type “-d3d9″ without the quotations and you shouldn’t have a problem. That will force the game to run in DirectX9 instead of the default 11 since the game’s engine is poorly optimized for that.

(In Windows Explorer/File Explorer go to Computer and then your primary boot drive example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World\     In there is the gameclient.exe file [it may be in another folder within the \Perfect World folder] - right click the gameclient.exe file - click properties at the bottom of the list and at the top of the pop up window is the General tab - there is box with the file name - click in the box and add a space at the end of the file name and then -d3d9 - then click the Compatibility tab at the top and check the box toward the bottom "Run this program as an administrator" - click the Apply button at the bottom and then OK. Doing both solves 99% of the issues in STO. -JT)

If you are still having issues, this is the lengthier way to do it.

Find”Gameprefs.Pref” that is in Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata and search for “Direct3d” without quotations. Find the line that says “PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType” and change the end part to from Direct3d11 to Direct3d9 and save.  (This is sometimes found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World\ or in the \Steam folder of the same general area depending whether you use Arc or Steam. -JT)  If all else fails, you can go to the options section in the launcher and select Safe Mode and launch the game in that. Once you do that, you can manually change the settings for your graphics under the Display tab [of the in game Options] and select DirectX9.

One other thing, be sure to do the compatibility setting on Vent to run the program as an Administrator, or you might notice that your comm functions aren't working while you are clicking around the game.

If anyone has anything to add, please do.  I hope this helps.

JT

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Capt. Vashaar
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

I am unable to locate the executable in the Perfectworld file. I will figure this out at some point. Not sure where to start. I have Directx9 selected in game, have run in admin AND safe mode, done a system restore, deleted and re-install..... Really weird that LOTRO, SWTOR, EQII and all other games run fine.

Still searching the net.

Awarded:

do you have sto installed via ARC or STEAM?

edit: i was asking not to help him find the .exe (thanks for the detail explanation tho, sir!) , but because others that have had "weird" issues unresolvable through the normal means have had luck transferring the game from arc to steam and vice versa. here is the reddit link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/496pox/is_there_a_way_to_transfer_the_game_from_arc_to/

Last edited by Nimmoth on 03/10/16 13:56; edited 1 time in total

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

The quickest way to find the gameclient.exe is to open the File Explorer (explorer.exe) in the upper right hand corner is the search box.  In the search box type - gameclient.exe and enter. in a few seconds it will find any file by that name anywhere on your PC.  When it finds it, you can right click on the file from there, go to properties at the bottom of the popup and then choose the Compatibility tab and set the file to "Run this program as an administrator" click the Apply button and then OK.  It should be set then.  

If you come up with multiple gameclient.exe files, which would be unusual, click the View tab at the top and click Details:

(image from Windows 8.1)

You should see the Folder Path column, if not, right click one of the column headers (like Name), at the bottom click More..., and scroll down to Folder Path and check the box to the left of it and click OK.  That way you can be sure that you are setting the rights on the right file. 

JT

Capt. Vashaar
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

I found the gameclient.exe under Cryptic instead of Perfect World. No joy. Updated video drivers...again. Even deleted 3 programs that I had loaded since STO last worked. I believe I am at the end of what I can do. On a good note, I did get my cups and t-shirt, and they are great!

Awarded:

I found that I had to downgrade my video driver on my PC, to one from August of 2015.  I had an AMD R7 265oc card, and reinstalled my OS.  STO didn't like the newest version of Crimson software.  I normally lag by 2 versions on the video drivers for this reason.

Capt. Vashaar
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

I just tried it, and I was able to complete an instance. Fingers crossed.

Awarded:

Was it the driver? Did you go back to an older version? Or, is it still broke?

JT

Capt. Vashaar
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

I have no idea how it got fixed. The driver is the latest one. I did a system restore at least a week ago, but it still crashed. It mysteriously started working after the last patch...hmm, weird.

Awarded:

That's called the "Magic of Microsoft".  It's like Missouri weather.  If you don't like it, wait 15 minutes - it will get worse.  Or, miraculously, it corrects itself and your good to go for 3 months.  I can't complain too much, Microsoft has given me a steady paycheck for the past 20 or so years.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Solutions and Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: