Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Solutions and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

re: Computer Hardware

Sir -- please check this out?  It showed up on my Kickstarter today.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/udoo/udoo-x86-the-most-powerful-maker-board-ever?ref=home_popular

It is a scam, joke, or something that actually might be useful?  

Please advise.

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Nimmoth
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

are you familiar with rasberry PI ?? they are basically boards ans combinations of features developers/creators of stuff use to make, say, like a remote control, or roku, or a controller to control say a neon sign.etc.....its the size of an orange, so you can intergrate it into anything. 

this goes one step beyond because it is based of PC processors and I/O. i can see the potential in this. say to make a thinware client for a room in the house that just needs a computer. or making into a home media streamer..way better than any roku or apple tv. 

it isnt a home user computer, per say. but its ability to run all OS's is cool (back to the thinware client). 

you could use it to make a robot controlled by your phone. you could use it to make a home survelliance center

you could use it like the page says, to stream steam games. build a retro cabinet and run emulators off it. 

PI systems are for makers, you dont just take it out of the box and go like a PC you buy at bestbuy. 

plus, there are tons of forums and developers offering free SDKs to do cool stuff with. research a little on its applications and see if it is something you could use around the house or car even. make a 360 camera system for your car. 

for me, i would use it as a thinware client with an old monitor and kbb/mouse to put a terminal in a room. or buy a 23"+ touchscreen panel and build a case for it and make it a cool android/windows hybrid and put it on a wall that can also mirror my phone.  or make it a home theatre box to replace rokus.

in fact, i saw a 60"  touch tv panel mounted vertically on a wall for a cool info center. or connect 3 projectors and make a sweet immersive experience for a room, that then connects to your pc or phone. although most high end video cards can do this anyhow. but this wouldnt use any of your pc resourses and it claims to do 4k to 3 displays. 

it connects to phones, bluetooth, wifi, etc...make your own home automation, add an echo too for even cooler

there is so much you could do with something like this, you just have to figure out what you want/need to use it for!

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Yes it is real, but no, it is not for the style of gaming we are all accustomed.  But, I will say it is a nice kind of shortcut in small computing that equipment developers are looking for.

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Thanks.  I showed this to the engineer re-working my HVAC/Solar Panels/Zero-Energy.  "drool-drool-drool"  More or less what he was looking for, vice running everything off of a small laptop. 

Speaking of computers, my wife sent me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDtxQRH8aI4

Qapla'

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Solutions and Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: