View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBob357

re: Chronos Build

So Mr. Richter was looking for a build for the Chronos Temporal Dreadnought, and I said that I would see what I could come up with. At his suggestion, I am putting on the website for anyone who might be interested. I do want to caution that this build requires a fair amount of micro-management and relies heavily on ability cooldown/recharge reduction. 

Here is the STOAcademy Link:  http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/99389cc95071145ecddb866f36e73131

When you open the link and look in the "Captain & Ground Tab" and navigate to the "Traits" sub-tab you will see I have slotted the various traits related to space combat. Of the 9 personal traits 4 of them are obtained through lockboxes or the exchange. While none of them are required there are two that I think are worth the investment: Inspirational Leader and Self-Modulating Fire. You should be able to pick-up both for under 30 million EC. Ablative Shell and Intense Focus are nice to have.   

The Starship Traits all come from Z-store T6 ships. The first two are All Hands on Deck from the Presido, and Emergency Weapons Cycle from the Arbiter Battlecruiser. The last three come from the 31st Century Bundle: Exotic Modulation (Chronos), Particle Feedback (Eternal), and Regroup (Ouroboros). AHOD reduces the cooldown of your science bridge officer and captain CAREER abilities when you activate a tactical or command ability. Obviously there are no command abilities on this ship. EWC reduce the power cost of firing your weapons as well as providing a weapons haste (basically you're firing faster) when using Emergency Power to Weapons (EPtW). Exotic Modulation boosts exotic damage when using Temporal abilities (and Directed Energy Modulation). Particle Feedback gives you a bonus to armor penetration when you use those exotic abilities. Regroup reduces the recharge time on engineering and temporal abilities when you activate an attack pattern.    

You should be familiar with the Space Reputation Traits. The only thing I would call your attention to is the second from the left. If your Aux power level, in combat, is near or at 125 then go with Auxiliary Power Configuration - Defense. If you can't reliably sustain that then go with Active Hull Hardening. In the even that you feel you do not need it then slot whatever trait you feel might be useful.

Moving on to the "Starship" tab and then the "starship" sub-tab yo will see how mine Chronos is equipped, more or less. OK. no you do NOT need tohave all epic gear or run the same weapons I am. Run whatever you want. Phasers, Polarons . . . hell even Tetryons if you want. Advance Fleet Weapons are more than sufficient and pretty cheap to boot. Do you need to run the Iconian set? No. But it is the best set for straight up beam damage provides nice survivability as well. If you're on a Temporal Recruit I would advise you to finish all the reputations so that when you craft reputation items they pop out as MK XIII Ultra Rare. Unless you're a total completionist there is little to no reason to take the Iconian set to epic save maybe the shield.

The consoles are pretty straightforward. If you don't have a plasmonic leech then FCPT Hau will buy you one. Just send him a PM or ask him in Vent. Otherwise talk to FCPT Davis (or myself) about alternatives. The other three engineering slots are filled with the three consoles from the 31st century bundle. Their passives are pretty decent and the clickies abilities are also pretty good (as far as clickies go). The Science consoles are the negative threat plasma consoles w/ the [EPG] modifier form the Romulan Embassy. EPG boosts both you exotic damage and temporal abilities. I buy them at MK X since the dilithium cost to upgrade them to MK XII (especially during upgrade weekends) is less than the cost of buying them at MK XII.

I do want to spend a moment aand discuss the tactical vulnerability consoles. First is the choice between exploiters and locators. only in rare cases are exploiters better than locators. I'm about 99.9% sure that this build is not one of them. So that really only leaves you with having to choose which modifier to pick. For most, sticking with the modifier that corresponds to the energy type of your weapons is the way to go. If on the other hand you like switching between different energy types, or for some reason you're using different energy types, then go with [+Beams]. Since I've mentioned it, I should say that the only time mixing energy types is advisable is under extremely rare circumstances.

Bridge Officer abilities. This is where things get a little tricky. As I said earlier, this build relies heavily upon ability cooldown reduction. Part of this process is the passive ability Attrition Warfare from the Strategist specialization tree. When threatening stance is turned on, activating a hull heal (once every 20 seconds) will reduce the recharge time of you bridge officer abilities by 30%. No, this is not a +threat build and it is not designed to tank. Basically think of threatening stance as an another ability. Personally, I just turn it on and leave it that way. This may be easier for you, but obviously it will draw more aggro.

So how does it work:

1) Chain (click) your "alpha strike" abilities (i.e. TTI, EPtW1 APB1, KLW1, BFAW3, etc.)

2) Turn on threatening stance

3) Activate a hull heal

4) Turn threatening stance off

Remember this can only be done every 20 seconds. in the interim tactical captain can use Tactical Initiative III. This takes practice so I would suggest doing some patrols or Red Alerts first before trying in STFs.   

Looking at the tactical abilities you will notice that the only ability with a second copy is APB1. This is to maximize it's up-time and the usefulness of the Regroup starship trait. If you don't have Kemocite Laced Weaponry 1 then replace it with BFAW1. There is no need for a second copy of TT1. You really shouldn't even need to run a Conn Officer to reduce the cooldown of Tac-Team, but it wouldn't hurt. EPtW1 procs the EWC starship trait so it is a must. Ideally you would want to have two copies but with the amount of cooldown/recharge reduction going on one copy should be fine.

The science abilities aren't much to look at. GW1 isn't the best ability but it's does OK damage and is good for crowd control. Hazard Emitters and Transfer Shield Strength are pretty interchangeable. If you feel like you don't need the heals you can always swap them out for exotic damage abilities.

Admittedly, the Temporal/Engineer bridge offer abilites is a bit of a work in progress. I have been using Channeled Deconstruction 1, Entropic Cascade 1, Entropic Redistribution 3, and Auxiliary Power to Structural Integrity Field 3. But I have also used CD1, ER2, Recursive Sheering 1, AtSIF3 and getting pretty much the same results. Basically what I'm saying is there is room to move things around to suit your needs. I would however recommend that if you do decide to move things around, leave AtSIF3 as is. Not only does it proc Attrition Warfare but its has a really low cooldown time without a second copy.

Like I said earlier, if running one Conn Officer to help reduce the cooldown of Tac-Team makes you feel better then go for it. Other than that just run what makes sense. The current state of the game allows  you to move away from running 3 Technician or Damage Control Engineers, or any of the other combination of Duty Officers to make builds function efficiently. That being said, there is nothing wrong with redundancy. But if you're not having a problem with your cooldowns then slotting doffs that give extra damage to certain abilities or add more survivability (which would allow you to reconsider the use of various heals) makes a lot of sense.

Again, this isn't the most user friendly build. If you have any questions, or want suggestions on how to make it more user friendly then don't hesitate to ask. Or if you want to try and get more damage output out her then we can work on that too.                    

Awarded:

great little tidbits of advice in there for overall gameplay too. great job.

i would say that as far at tac consoles go..buy +beams first. of course i go with the meta of +ap, but that means whenever i switch ships, i have to use ap. If i could do it again, i would buy +beam then +ap.  espically if you are grinding out starship traits, ap wont be the best in combonation with someother ships/consoles/sets then your "main".i found it really crippling to be limited to ap/ap consoles  on some of the ships i was using to lvl up the traits.  of course +ap for your main and ap weaps. (7 ap flavors now!-i like herald)

as of right now, i dont have enuff fleet creds to get both - its hard to get those now adays so keep that in mind too.

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
VADM Wulfric Richter CoS
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Much appreciated, sir. I will put my ship together per your recommendations and let you know how it works. Thank you for doing this!

As far as taking tactical consoles with only a beams modifier, you will be able to swap out your energy types at will, but you will be sacrificing dps to do so. If dps is your priority, then best to go with a specific modifier. IMHO

Knightnblu wrote:

Much appreciated, sir. I will put my ship together per your recommendations and let you know how it works. Thank you for doing this!

As far as taking tactical consoles with only a beams modifier, you will be able to swap out your energy types at will, but you will be sacrificing dps to do so. If dps is your priority, then best to go with a specific modifier. IMHO

Not anymore.  If you use only one energy type (ie: Phasers), this still holds true, but you can gain quite a bit of dps by running the Terran Disruptor Beam with your preffered energy type and the +beam consoles.

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

FltCapt Cain:  Sort of understood what you wrote and it reads impressively.   Made me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37v-6Zs5T10

Qa'pla

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

VADM Wulfric Richter CoS
Tactical - Vice Admiral

davisjm0311 wrote:
Knightnblu wrote:

Not anymore.  If you use only one energy type (ie: Phasers), this still holds true, but you can gain quite a bit of dps by running the Terran Disruptor Beam with your preffered energy type and the +beam consoles.

Would you mind expanding on that point, sir? I have noticed this disruptor popping up more often in high end builds and would love to know why.

It does increased damage as the targets hull gets lower...overall it can do up to twice the damage that any other single beam array on your ship does. Even with the beam consoles offering a slightly smaller boost than the specific energy type consoles, you end up putting out more damage. 

BigBob357

I should also mention that while I said that Intense Focus is a good trait, I have decided to drop it in favor of Positive Feedback Loop (not to be confused with Particle Feedback Loop), at least for the time being. I only mention this because it is still rather expensive and the usefulness of shield penetration starts to diminish at higher levels of damage output. 

Jump to: