Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VADM JT Kerry (Fed) CoS
VADM JT Kerry CoS
Engineering - Vice Admiral

user avatar
Awarded:
Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 1034

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0

Hell, the way this reads, I should have pushed to get my original patch done, as a derivative, maybe dropping the chevron and that's it.

This is a good read on the ambiguity of the laws and how they are there to just to protect a product, but also to protect creativity. Here is an intriguing look at the case as it stands.

Fan Film Factor's Look at the trial of Axanar

The judge isn't going to hear arguments, but just decide with the info he has.

JT 



_________________
 

VADM JT Kerry, 7th Fleet Chief of Staff, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
Moosevelt
Science - Fleet Captain

user avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 160

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0

Than you sir for this big update, keep em coming as able!

 



_________________
Pphelanwolf
Tactical - Captain

user avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 12

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0

Thanks for the update...Love the Axanar pre movie!

 

Lt. Jace Philips

user avatar

Joined: 06 Jan 2016
Posts:

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0

As someone who has just recently started delving into the world of Star Trek (working my way from start to finish, I'm just about done with TNG), I have to say this looks amazing. Admittedly the legal contention is certainly frustrating for the makers and fans, but the quality of the production looks simply amazing. Seems like I'll be adding even more to the ever growing list of Star Trek lore to look into. Thank for posting this! 

Wupteedo
Science - Captain

user avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 1093

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0

Well, it is in the Jury's hands now.

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-trek-axanar-lawsuit-jury-trial/

 

My 2 cents.  If Axanar loses this case, we all lose.  However, it would be great if they could "sell" Axanar back to CBS/Paramount and they could finish the picture.  Then sell it to NetFlix or Amazon for some profit/production cost.  Then give the Backers a DVD copy of the movie as well.  A very thin win/win. 

 

 



_________________

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome
 
Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

user avatar
Awarded:
Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 1605

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0
Wupteedo wrote:

Well, it is in the Jury's hands now.

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-trek-axanar-lawsuit-jury-trial/

 

My 2 cents.  If Axanar loses this case, we all lose.  However, it would be great if they could "sell" Axanar back to CBS/Paramount and they could finish the picture.  Then sell it to NetFlix or Amazon for some profit/production cost.  Then give the Backers a DVD copy of the movie as well.  A very thin win/win. 

 

 

 

And this is why Axanar is in trouble in the first place. Fan films are suppose to be non profit. They wanted to sell something that wasnt theirs and that is why CBS/Paramount sued them. I bet you any money if they had been "This movie is going on Youtube for all to see when it's finished" instead of "Hmm let's put it in the theaters" they wouldn't be having this problem... 



_________________
VADM JT Kerry (Fed) CoS
VADM JT Kerry CoS
Engineering - Vice Admiral

user avatar
Awarded:
Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 1034

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0
Anton Mercer wrote:
Wupteedo wrote:

Well, it is in the Jury's hands now.

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-trek-axanar-lawsuit-jury-trial/

 

My 2 cents.  If Axanar loses this case, we all lose.  However, it would be great if they could "sell" Axanar back to CBS/Paramount and they could finish the picture.  Then sell it to NetFlix or Amazon for some profit/production cost.  Then give the Backers a DVD copy of the movie as well.  A very thin win/win. 

 

 

 

And this is why Axanar is in trouble in the first place. Fan films are suppose to be non profit. They wanted to sell something that wasnt theirs and that is why CBS/Paramount sued them. I bet you any money if they had been "This movie is going on Youtube for all to see when it's finished" instead of "Hmm let's put it in the theaters" they wouldn't be having this problem... 

 

There is a counter argument to that - CBS ceded their rights in the area of fan films when they did not take action to the "donations" that Walter Koenig and crew were taking for Of Gods and Men and Renegades.  They actually produced DVDs for both and CBS did not complain.



_________________
 

VADM JT Kerry, 7th Fleet Chief of Staff, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

user avatar
Awarded:
Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 1605

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0
VADM JT Kerry wrote:
Anton Mercer wrote:
Wupteedo wrote:

Well, it is in the Jury's hands now.

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-trek-axanar-lawsuit-jury-trial/

 

My 2 cents.  If Axanar loses this case, we all lose.  However, it would be great if they could "sell" Axanar back to CBS/Paramount and they could finish the picture.  Then sell it to NetFlix or Amazon for some profit/production cost.  Then give the Backers a DVD copy of the movie as well.  A very thin win/win. 

 

 

 

And this is why Axanar is in trouble in the first place. Fan films are suppose to be non profit. They wanted to sell something that wasnt theirs and that is why CBS/Paramount sued them. I bet you any money if they had been "This movie is going on Youtube for all to see when it's finished" instead of "Hmm let's put it in the theaters" they wouldn't be having this problem... 

 

There is a counter argument to that - CBS ceded their rights in the area of fan films when they did not take action to the "donations" that Walter Koenig and crew were taking for Of Gods and Men and Renegades.  They actually produced DVDs for both and CBS did not complain.

 But.. if memory serves not feeling the need to go look it up lol ... only people who donated got DVDs they didn't sell the DVDs outright it was perk of the donor package and according to most major "fan film law" that's ok. not only that... and this i know for fact... you can watch both movies in full free on Youtube... soo ya.. lol. Axanar wanted ... rather the director guy... wanted to put it in theaters... and make pure profit on it over what was donated and therefore sell something that was not his own, the Star trek "logo" for an encompassing term.



_________________
Cleo Mavendorf
Engineering - Captain

user avatar
Awarded:
Joined: 18 Apr 2010
Posts: 568

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0

Looks like it got the green light to proceed!

 

 

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/m/aaae05aa-091d-386d-bc66-b52b298f492d/ss_star-trek-fan-film-axanar.html



_________________
Nimmoth
Engineering - Captain

user avatar

Joined: 26 Jun 2015
Posts: 287

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0

dang, that really, really sucks....they are "allowing" axanar to make 2, 15-minute follow-ups to prelude to axanar, but the 90 minute high-quality film they have allready done is not allowed, and cbs and other film companies got together and set up guidelines for fan films, that state they cant be "high quality production value"



_________________
        

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
Wupteedo
Science - Captain

user avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 1093

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0

Update:

http://www.axanarproductions.com/donor-update-may-5-2017/

 

Qa'pla



_________________

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome
 
Wupteedo
Science - Captain

user avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 1093

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Axanar News

0

I just like watching this. 

http://www.axanarproductions.com/

 

Qa'pla

 



_________________

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome
 
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum