View previous topic :: View next topic  
VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Axanar News

Hell, the way this reads, I should have pushed to get my original patch done, as a derivative, maybe dropping the chevron and that's it.

This is a good read on the ambiguity of the laws and how they are there to just to protect a product, but also to protect creativity. Here is an intriguing look at the case as it stands.

Fan Film Factor's Look at the trial of Axanar

The judge isn't going to hear arguments, but just decide with the info he has.

JT 

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

COMO Sapel
Science - Commodore

Awarded:

Than you sir for this big update, keep em coming as able!

Thanks for the update...Love the Axanar pre movie!

LCDR Jace Philips

As someone who has just recently started delving into the world of Star Trek (working my way from start to finish, I'm just about done with TNG), I have to say this looks amazing. Admittedly the legal contention is certainly frustrating for the makers and fans, but the quality of the production looks simply amazing. Seems like I'll be adding even more to the ever growing list of Star Trek lore to look into. Thank for posting this! 

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Well, it is in the Jury's hands now.

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-trek-axanar-lawsuit-jury-trial/

My 2 cents.  If Axanar loses this case, we all lose.  However, it would be great if they could "sell" Axanar back to CBS/Paramount and they could finish the picture.  Then sell it to NetFlix or Amazon for some profit/production cost.  Then give the Backers a DVD copy of the movie as well.  A very thin win/win. 

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

Wupteedo wrote:

My 2 cents.  If Axanar loses this case, we all lose.  However, it would be great if they could "sell" Axanar back to CBS/Paramount and they could finish the picture.  Then sell it to NetFlix or Amazon for some profit/production cost.  Then give the Backers a DVD copy of the movie as well.  A very thin win/win. 

And this is why Axanar is in trouble in the first place. Fan films are suppose to be non profit. They wanted to sell something that wasnt theirs and that is why CBS/Paramount sued them. I bet you any money if they had been "This movie is going on Youtube for all to see when it's finished" instead of "Hmm let's put it in the theaters" they wouldn't be having this problem... 

Awarded:

Anton Mercer wrote:
Wupteedo wrote:

And this is why Axanar is in trouble in the first place. Fan films are suppose to be non profit. They wanted to sell something that wasnt theirs and that is why CBS/Paramount sued them. I bet you any money if they had been "This movie is going on Youtube for all to see when it's finished" instead of "Hmm let's put it in the theaters" they wouldn't be having this problem... 

There is a counter argument to that - CBS ceded their rights in the area of fan films when they did not take action to the "donations" that Walter Koenig and crew were taking for Of Gods and Men and Renegades.  They actually produced DVDs for both and CBS did not complain.

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

VADM JT Kerry wrote:
Anton Mercer wrote:
Wupteedo wrote:

There is a counter argument to that - CBS ceded their rights in the area of fan films when they did not take action to the "donations" that Walter Koenig and crew were taking for Of Gods and Men and Renegades.  They actually produced DVDs for both and CBS did not complain.

But.. if memory serves not feeling the need to go look it up lol ... only people who donated got DVDs they didn't sell the DVDs outright it was perk of the donor package and according to most major "fan film law" that's ok. not only that... and this i know for fact... you can watch both movies in full free on Youtube... soo ya.. lol. Axanar wanted ... rather the director guy... wanted to put it in theaters... and make pure profit on it over what was donated and therefore sell something that was not his own, the Star trek "logo" for an encompassing term.

Awarded:

Looks like it got the green light to proceed!

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/m/aaae05aa-091d-386d-bc66-b52b298f492d/ss_star-trek-fan-film-axanar.html

Awarded:

dang, that really, really sucks....they are "allowing" axanar to make 2, 15-minute follow-ups to prelude to axanar, but the 90 minute high-quality film they have allready done is not allowed, and cbs and other film companies got together and set up guidelines for fan films, that state they cant be "high quality production value"

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Update:

http://www.axanarproductions.com/donor-update-may-5-2017/

Qa'pla

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

I just like watching this. 

http://www.axanarproductions.com/

Qa'pla

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: