View previous topic :: View next topic  
VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: The 7th Fleet Voice Comms are now in the Discord App

VADM Kor, Chief Engineer and Fleet Historian, 7th Fleet, United Federation of Planets.

The Fleet Admiralty made it official last week at the Staff Meeting, that the Fleet will move from Ventrilo to Discord.  The Ventrilo application will no longer be able to be used for 7th Fleet channels after February 13, when the lease expires.  Here is a summary of what you need to do, to get Discord installed and get you into the 7th Fleet comms channels.  Please note, that Discord can be run in a web window, or in a discrete client application.  What we are doing is installing and using the client application, or Discord App.

1. Navigate on the Galactic Computer Network to this location

2. Download the version for your ship computer's operating system to a location where you can find it easily, such as the Desktop.

3. Install the application.  For ship operating systems 8 or above, you will almost certainly need to launch the install as an administrator, by right clicking on the file and then choosing that option.  We have limited information at this time about the strange, Andromedan invaders' OS, "Mac," so if anyone is running that system on their ship, let us know if there's any differences from these instructions by posting below.

4. Register an account.  This is pretty straightforward, and involves setting up an account ID and password, and registering your email address by having Discord send you an email to that account.  The application will guide you through it.

5. Launch the Discord app.  Most Captains will have to launch it as an administrator using the right click menu on the app icon, for it to work correctly while they are in their ship's bridge.

6. Get an invitation link to the 7th Fleet Channels.  Anyone in the application who is already invited in can provide it, but if you have trouble finding anyone on duty, send me a PM [most easily done by clicking on the PM button on the left side of this post underneath my ship patch], or send one to Chief of Staff Kerry.  He's listed in the Fleet address list as, "FADM JT Kerry."  Or if you are having trouble getting it installed, you should create a forum post here in the 7th Fleet Engineering Forum, and I will be alerted to assist.  Please contact me there or by PM if you have any technical difficulties at any stage of getting it installed.

7. Once you are in, look in the app window for a white 7th Fleet UFP logo on the left side.  Click it and you will then see the voice channels.  

8. Now look down on the bottom left hand corner of the window by your name, and you will see some icons.  Two of them are for muting and unmuting the mic and headset, and the other, shaped like a gear, is what you should click on next to configure your voice settings.  Click this and then look in the popup window for "voice" and select that.  In there, you should make sure that the microphone and speaker settings are set to the same ones you used in Ventrilo, and also you should either set the mic to "push to talk / PTT," or set the sensitivity on the automatic detection high enough so that the Klingons in the channel will not have you thrown into the Agony Booth.

That's it!  Post any issues or suggestions to the instructions in this thread, and I can easily edit this post.  Looking forward to hearing you all in the Discord app channels,

VADM Kor
7th Fleet Chief Engineer

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

Excellent write up Mr. Kor job well done!

Awarded:

I will note that in the Discord app, if you want to close a popup window, usually you can click outside of that popup window to get it to go away.  Try this if there's no obvious button to click on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Fleet News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: