View previous topic :: View next topic  
VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: I made a suggestion for a Fleet Holding for the Starbase

I made a suggestion, and a possible new contact in the Cryptic organization - Ambassador Kael, Trendy's replacement.  Here is a transcript of what I laid out as a possible new Fleet Holding for a Starbase:

AMBASSADORKAEL

• jkerryjkerry 
    Hi,
    If you are correct ambassadorkeal that I was referred to by nevandon, who would be your counter part in Germany. I had a request that I knew would probably would not be able to be met. If you are not that ambassadorkeal, then I'm not going to go in to it. But, if you are nevandon's US counter part, I have an idea to bolster lagging fleet participation and would like to pass this along to the Devs. I've looked at the forums here, and couldn't find a good place to post it. I also just want to pass the idea to the Devs without comments from the crowd - which I also could not find a good place to do. So, if you are this person I am looking for, let me know.
    Thanks,
    JT Kerry
  • jkerryjkerry 
    Sorry for the missing word at the beginning. I meant to say, "If you are the correct ambassadorkael...", and, after sending, it appears that you are this site's administrator and have taken the duties left by LaughingTrendy.

Sorry to be so...sorry I can't avoid this...cryptic in my last message, but I don't want to deal with the mass of comments in the crowd of the forums. I am going to keep this message brief, and mainly as an introduction, as to who I am.

I and VADM JT Kerry, and am the current Chief of Staff for The 7th Fleet - which means I do all the work of running my fleet and the 2 admirals get to kick back and make a few decisions a month. I came on board as CoS, at the end of January after working as the Chief Engineer (the title given to a "real world" PC Tech who job it is to keep our members connected to the Internet and to this game, which at times the patches made it a challenge) for over 5 years. I joined the game in January of 2010, when it was still in beta, and I joined The "Lucky" 7th Fleet at the end of that month.

The 7th Fleet started as a website in March of 2009, by Emery "Joe" Fortin and a couple of his close friends who were all ex-Navy, and had actually worked in the 7th Fleet (Real World). The website took off with the help of Ken Turner who gave it its shape and basic graphical bearing in June of 2009. Joe had been in contact with Cryptic early on to try and obtain Alpha information and to see how he could nail down getting our all important name. His goal was to make an online Star Trek fleet that was primarily leaning toward a membership made up of current or prior military (which we have an application process that vents toward this goal).

Joe was able to do this, with the help of others, and we have made it this far as a fleet. We maintain a membership of 100 to no more that 120, and have done so since March of 2010. We have tweaked our management organization to the point that it is now formulaic, and have done the same with the rules of membership. We a fairly solid base of members and pick up/drop rate of 10% a month. In past 8 yrs. we have had over 500 join us and the majority would stay - for a while - you know the nature of online gaming. But, we do have a solid base of some 60 members at present.

In brief, my proposal it to create a space that can accommodate a Fleet of this size, for Fleet formation functions. To be a fleet, needs to be able to call together all its membership. This makes it a cohesive organization. I will hammer out the details in my next message. I think the parameters of the game can handle it, which, again, I will explain in my next message.

Until then, so long for now,

VADM JT Kerry
    Chief of Staff
    The 7th Fleet
    Star Trek Online
  • ambassadorkael#6946ambassadorkael 
    Hey Kerry,

If you're talking about making a forum for your fleet, you are welcome to do that and you should look into free forum software on the internet that can help you with that.

If you're asking for a forum on the official forums, I can't do that for just one fleet, and I apologize. If you're asking for a private space for your fleet in game, I definitely can't accomodate you there.

Thanks for reaching out!

Mike
  • jkerryjkerry 
    I'm sorry I hadn't gotten back to this idea I had. Life kicked in and took over for a couple of weeks.

The 7th is a pretty busy fleet. We average 4 to 10 person gain a month and average the same in losses. We have maintained about 100 members since 2011.

I wasn't thinking of forums, we have our own website for that -http:// www.fleet7.com . I was thinking more along the lines of a special 40+ man instance to allow Fleets to gather, which is a developer's issue.

There is a location on ESD - on an upper deck, that has no incidental game toons wandering around like zombies. It is where the memorial for the actors who have died is. You take the turbo lift near the club to the mezzanine. You walk off the turbo lift and cross the line - no incidentals, no weapons or disco balls. We have been using it for our Admirals Call once a month. The problem is...we have a 100 man fleet and have no guarantees of getting half of that in an in an instance of ESD. If the Devs could make it something a fleet could earn for their starbase...a mezzanine for Fleet formations and ceremonies - no incidentals, no weapons or disco balls, just the members of the fleet meeting in one spot. Since the lack of action from members or game would reduce the need for resources both on the server and the PC, the Devs could up the number of fleet members allowed in an instance. Since it is something for the fleet to earn through the Fleet Holdings system, it becomes something special.

So, what do you think. Could you pass along my idea? Let me know.

Thanks,
    VADM JT Kerry (internal fleet rank)
    Chief of Staff
    the "Lucky" 7th Fleet
  • Hey Kerry,

It's an interesting idea and I'll pass it on. Thanks!

Mike

I figured, if we could all gather together, we might drum up better participation in events.  I am going to as Kael (Mike), if he could check on any kind of response from the Devs and some basic time frame as to when it might be initiated in game.  I will follow up, if I get any response from the Devs or Ambassador Kael.

VADM JT Kerry

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Good post, Sir.  Glad to know there is some logic at Cryptic.  I got to know BranFlakes pretty well, and knew some of his frustrations with Cryptic/PWE. 

On that same note:  At the KDF Starbase, on the right side of what I call the Great Hall, their is a large room, that look like the inside of a holodeck.   I have always image it as a future "holodeck" where we could do additional battles and possible a Klingon type arena, like found on Qo'Nos.   This would especially be nice, if we could set up our various tournaments there.   The deserted Cruiser is nice, but I'm talking about an honest arena, with player tracking (win/loss). 

Let me us know how the above goes.  I'm thinking if we invite "Mike" to one of our Bat'leth Tournaments, he would understand what we need.  This would be a great asset to the game as well.   Some of my best memory's of the 7th Fleet/I.T.S. is our tournaments.  (Minus the orbital strikes). 

Qa'pla

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

CAPT Preston
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

Wait wait wait, no disco balls or weapons? Are you mad? How will people be able to tell its us without someone holding somebody up while doing the running man? The nerve.

The thunder from down under
VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Nice, good idea, JT!  But won't Admiral Fortin be crushed when he finds out he can't pop a disco ball there?

VADM JT Kerry

Awarded:

Thanks for all the comments. Thu'fir - I will keep you apprised of how it goes.  

I may have to invite the programming team to one of out Admiral's Call events, so they understand our frustration. As for the disco balls, well that location in ESD doesn't allow weapons or disco balls, which is  why I made the point - their programming is already in place to implement it.  All that has to happen is to create it as a private instance.  When Fleet members take the turbo lift to the location, it becomes their area for them alone, without interference from internal or external sources.

CAPT Preston
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

Hey Kerry, any progress on this? 

The thunder from down under
FCPT. Mitchell. D. Ries
Tactical - Captain

The lack of disco balls scares me

Us crazy Aussies need to stick together
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

FCPT. Mitchell. D. Ries wrote:

The lack of disco balls scares me

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry

Awarded:

Nothing so far.  As always, with Cryptic, it's a waiting game.  Look how long it took Lang to get his upgraded ship - people have been requesting it since the T5s came out.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: