View previous topic :: View next topic  
VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: M.2 SSD 1TB - Lowest price I've seen...

Hey All,

I just bought a 1TB Transcend M.2 SSD 2280 for just under $174 (shipping included) on Amazon.  Transcend is a very good "B" Line brand of memory manufacturers.  Here a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYTRBL9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is sold by E-COMMERCE WORLD , which I an Italian business/Amazon storefront tied to Amazon UK - which also explains the almost $16 shipping charge.

Enjoy,

JT

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Sweet deal.  I went with a Samsung 960 EVO, a model that is very close to top of the line, but not the most expensive out there, because to cut costs I got the 500GB version.  It still came out to about $50 more expensive than the one you linked though.

The Transcend SSD gets 2500MB/s read and 1100MB/s write speeds.  The Samsung gets "Sequential Read Speeds up to 3200MB/s and Sequential Write Speeds up to 1900MB/s."  But the Transcend is a great deal here at half the price per Gigabyte of storage and it's still nice and quick.  Good deal it seems to me.  The vendor link you gave is also great because it's a lot cheaper than a lot of other sites.  I searched it online and most other vendors didn't have it at all, and at least one had the price over $600!

I did finally get my new rig going.  The problem wasn't with the motherboards, but a rookie mistake I made putting the CPU on the first MB.  Too much thermal paste on it, and it spooged over the edge and must have shorted it out.  I didn't think it had been affected because the paste didn't get into the pins until after I removed it from the first motherboard, but the solution was definitely to replace the CPU, so I think it had to be that.  Once I got a new CPU and put it in properly, everything's been relatively smooth sailing ever since.  There was a crashy problem other than that, that I think had to do with some drivers, but I got past that.  Every time the machine would try to get an MS update like either installing whatever that MS cloud app is, or just updates, it would freeze.  Once I got all the drivers installed it got pretty stable.  It was most likely the NIC driver but it could have been another like the chipset.  Now all I have to do is save up some loot and then maybe I can get the last and most important piece of the new system, the new video card, maybe during the holiday or post holiday sales.  It's still using the video card I've been using for a little over a year and a half.

VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

FYI to all (a follow up),

Come to find out the vendor pulled the listing on Amazon.  I think it was a typo and it was meant to be a 128GB drive and not a 1TB.  As the saying goes about being "too good to be true" seems to apply here.  This series of drives are 3D-NAND, which has outrageously fast transfer rates.  The way the vendor handled it sucked, so be leary of buying from eCommerce-World or eCommerce-Europe through Amazon due to poor communication.

JT

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: