View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would we like to Live Stream our Fleet Events on Twitch.tv?
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

CAPT Moroski

re: I have an Idea!

Hey guys!

So here is the scoop. In a nut shell, when i am home by myself, I need to find something constructive to do with my time since I am dealing with some things of a personal nature. I wont get into the details of that, but i need to know if this idea would be an ok thing to do.

The idea is this: Live streaming our Fleet Events on Twich.tv

I have been playing around with the idea of doing this for some time. My fiance has exstensive knowledge into setting everything up in Twich and i think that this could be a positive thing for the Fleet and myself. However, this will take some time to set up to be a regular thing by coordinating with the Fleet, work, my visitation schedule, and location of where I will be streaming in my house. Time frame wise, I would be looking at 2-3 months to properly plan this out, get on a regular schedule, and set up time with test runs. Essentially I would like to have STO, Fleet Discord, and a DPS Tracker set up and displayed on the Live Stream itself. 

All in all, I am looking for 2 things right now:

1. Permission from the fleet to do this.

2. Assistance from Fleet members to help with Stream setup, layout, and general guidelines for streaming.

I thought that it would be best to post a thread here to discuss this option. Thoughts?

Awarded:

You know, I have had the same idea for the last few months, just don't have a set up good enough. I would like to see this happen.

The thunder from down under
CAPT Moroski

FCPT Preston wrote:

You know, I have had the same idea for the last few months, just don't have a set up good enough. I would like to see this happen.

Great Minds think alike mate! I was thinking that we could do every monday, wed, and friday since those are the days that commonly have fleet events. I also stream The Elder Scrolls Legends on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Or at least trying to.

But what does everyone else think?

I'm up for it, however, for some strange reason, this comes to mind:

7th Fleet v. 7th I.T.S. in a 10 ship battle royal?

Qa'pla

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Fleet Staff Meeting is tonight on Discord at 2100 EST, so for those interested in this topic who would like to discuss it and make proposals, please attend the meeting and let us know what you would like to do!

Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Hi CAPT Morowski,

I was sure to bring up your idea at the Fleet Staff Meeting tonight, and everyone is in agreement that you can go ahead.  Please let us know if you need any help with anything, we may be able to provide assistance.  I would also encourage you to join us at the next one of those meetings if you like, which is on December 28th, 9pm EST.  You could let us know how your planning is going, and if you need anything.  

Tactical - Captain

I think it's a neat idea, but I'm opposed to the DPS tracker.  I think, for personal use if you're interested in seeing the numbers to gauge your own performance that's fine, but posting the numbers publicly does several negative things:

1. It doesn't take into account other valuable statistics, such as healing, disabling enemies, etc.

2. It stresses raw numerical values rather than objective focus.  People often like to "pad their numbers" so they look better, by firing upon strategically irrelevant targets or in inefficient combat sequences.

3. They're so inaccurate in how they measure the data, the values are nearly irrelevant.  I've had instances of a commonly "parsed" mission such as Infected Conduit where someone posted my ship did 32k DPS.  Same ship, no build changes, I've also clocked merely 15k.  Ironically, the one where I did only 15k went far smoother...

4. There are plenty more things I could say against a damage parser, but they are largely variations of the three points I've already made so... there you have it.

Besides that, though I've never done it myself, I think the wholes games-streaming generation is a neat concept and I'm interested to see where people take it.

Respectfully,

Novin

Awarded:

I think the points FCAPT Novin just made are good ones.  I can think of some good reasons to include a DPS tracker, at least sometimes, though.  For example, imagine a stream where Morowski and Sapel get together and go over the build, and demonstrate how some fundamental changes affect the damage output.  A good learning experience for new Captains.

In another episode, he could team up with Novin you both could demonstrate how important other things are, like team buffs, crowd control abilities, and other "under the hood" things that Novin was talking about that aren't reflected in a DPS tracker.  These are also super important things for stepping up your game, and I bet we could all learn a thing or two from each session.

So there you go, we already have ideas for 2 podcasts for you right there!

This is great news guys! And i am liking the positive flow and contribution! couple of things though:

I just read all the posts up to this point and i have to say that this idea has evolved quite a bit. I will have to agree with your views on the dps tracker Novin, but in the longer run I do like what Kor has said about it and believe that it would beneficial to have the dps tracker be more of a situational thing more so then a regular thing. And of course there isnt really a really good dps tracker for sto out there either. makes me wounder if there is a way to have someone make one? Just a thought.

Also Kor, I like where your thought process is going on this. However there is a difference between live streaming and podcasting. I think that my program that I am using is capable of streaming live and recording a file at the same time. which means that we could post this on the fleet youtube page and have it playing on Twitch.tv for when the stream is off line. And combining some elements of live streaming and podcasting might not be a bad idea either. More like a live show. And since my knowledge of STO is still somewhat subpar seeing that i have been playing since season 1, it might be a good idea to have Fleet Staff Members do segments with me as "they are the teacher and i am the student" type of thing. And more so having me just being the roll of host/mc/moderator to keep things a rolling. Plus some of this could be done a few hours before a fleet event so that it is like lesson then application. 

As it stands right now, I have about 65% of the interface for the show set up. Once I get it to where I want it, I will show it at a fleet staff meeting. OR would it be better to just work with OPS and/or CoS/COMM? There is time to discuss this yet, as I am still operating out of my large walkin closet at the moment and will be moving my setup to a "better" location so that I have a better surface for the green screen and all.  

So, the idea line up is for far for content is:

1. Ship and ground builds with Sapel (in segments)

2. Under the Hood Fundamentals with Novin

3. How to Foundry with our residential foundry masters

4. Sto and Fleet News with Comm

5. Fleet events with the Fleet

6. Armada events/news

7. Community feed back

8. General live Gameplay with the Fleet.

9. Something with Preston (ideas?)

10. Fleets and you with Fortin

As it also stands right now, I am trying to have a schedule set up to do this in the evenings at like 630ish est on Mondays and Fridays. Maybe Thursdays too. Still talking with work to see if this can happen smoothly. 

Thoughts? 

Awarded:

'Something with Preston' pretty much sounds like the last few months when it comes to Operations. You already have me for Fleet events, so I dunno, 

The thunder from down under
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: