View previous topic :: View next topic  
COMO Sapel
Science - Commodore

Awarded:

re: Finally, a Romulan D7 that isn't Tier 3!

KDF Romulans will soon be able to use the Mighty Fleet K't'inga Battle Cruiser Retrofit!

Awarded:

I thought from their news post on this that it didn't take effect until Victory is Life comes out, but your Romulan Captains can command any of their faction's starships as of now.  Here is the ship and toon I created for this, as I have been waiting a long time for a KR/Stormbird/Khenn class ship.  Pic of ship in game now, a T3 Koro't'inga Battlecruiser, which will later be superseded by a T5-U Fleet K'Tinga Refit.  What comes after is the biography of both the ship and her Captain.

Formerly IKS AGONY, which was transferred to the Romulan Empire under the terms of the Klingon-Romulan Non-Aggression Pact of 2267, and renamed as IRW VRENEK. It later was recovered from a mothball shipyard after having survived the destruction of the Romulus system and reactivated by the Romulan Republic as RRW VRENEK.

IRW Vrenek was a ship given to the Romulan Star Empire by the Klingons in the 2260s, in exchange for cloaking technology, and as part of a non-aggression pact with the Klingons to counter the expansion of the Federation.  It served in the Romulan Navy for many years, before being retired and mothballed in favor of a new generation of Warbirds in 2314.

Meanwhile, Melius was born and raised on Romulus beginning in 2336.  His mother, Senator Surana, was fairly influential and the family had some means.  In this situation, it was not hard for Melius to get into an officer program in the Romulan Navy, despite his average scholastic performance.  As it turned out, the Navy found in Melius someone exceptional at engineering and building projects, and Melius was much more interested in this subject matter than anything he had studied in his previous education – so that not only was he talented in this field, but he excelled even more in it, because he liked doing it.  By the time the Hobus Supernova wiped out his homeworld, Melius had already served on several starships, had been a Chief Engineer on one of them, and was assigned to experimental starship building projects at the Haakona System.  His family and ancestral home were lost, and the Empire splintered into various factions, with the Tal Shiar, Reunificationists, Reman Resistance, and also some others battling it out.  

With the Empire shattered, and his livelihood in jeopardy, Melius chose to stay out of the factional conflicts plaguing his people, and ended up working at a construction project at the Hfihar system.  Federation researchers in the system had recently detected something that could be a dark matter nebula, which would explain the strange gravitational effects that are known there.  Their research project required that a facility with a metreon fountain should be built, and Melius was hired to manage the construction project.  This took several years, and kept him out of the battles that were raging in the quadrant, for a time.

Later in the early 2400s, he decided to join his old comrade D’Vex, who was living at the Virinat colony.  Melius still wanted to stay out of the conflict between the nascent Republic and the Tal Shiar remnants of the old Empire, and it seemed like a good place to take shelter from it.  It was, until the Tal Shiar and Elachians wiped out the colony in 2409.  Until that time, Melius assisted with various construction and engineering projects there.  It turned out that he also had a talent for accomplishing upgrades and completing building projects where materiel and financing were in short supply, which they certainly were at Virinat.  He discovered during this time that he had a talent for improvisation.

When Virinat was destroyed, Melius was captured by the Elachi.  He was later rescued from the grim fate of being biomorphed into an Elachi grunt by Radak and his crew, who captured and burned the Elachi “birthing center,” but not before liberating those fortunate souls like Melius, who had not yet had their bodies perverted into another species by the savage scientific methods of the hideous Elachi.

Because of this experience, Melius was now one of many former Romulan Imperial subjects who were firmly in the camp of the new Romulan Republic, and would prefer to die fighting the Tal Shiar rather than to submit.  He also now had quite a score to settle with the Elachi, and anyone else who might be involved with their atrocities.

While this was going on, surveyors from the Romulan Republic, looking for salvage in the destroyed Romulus system, found some derelict ships in 2409.  The ships were a handful of the old “Stormbird” or Khenn class ships, which were Klingon D7 or K’Tinga class ships that had been given to the Romulan Empire in the aforementioned non-aggression pact between the two empires.  The ships had been mothballed in the 24th century, and these particular ships were tractored to a very large asteroid that was mostly made up of pretty solid iron.  When the Hobus explosion tore the Romulus system apart, these ships were the ones that were in the lee of the asteroid, protecting them from the blast.  Although they did take some superficial damage, they appeared salvageable.  The original search and rescue teams that came to the system after the disaster were looking for live survivors, and not worrying too much about obsolete mothballed ships.  But now, the Republic was fighting for its life, and was in desperate need of any starship that they could get their hands on.  The work to refit the ships and get them updated to 25th century standards was too extensive to do at New Romulus, where shipyards themselves were still just under construction, so the new Republic contracted the Klingon Empire to begin the work.  The four ships, including the IRW Vrenek, were moved to the Ganalda system, where the shipyards were old, but deemed able enough to refit the old vessels.  After all, they had originally built the IKS Agony, which was later traded to the Romulans and renamed IRW Vrenek.

The work was ongoing, but slow, due to the old shipyards and lack of emphasis on the project from the KDF Command.  However, when the Iconian War broke out in 2410, massive casualties as the months went on prompted the various members of the Alpha Quadrant Alliance to reactivate many mothballed ships that they would not normally have considered for service.  Since this low priority project had been already underway and was partially complete, it went from a back-burner item to something fairly high priority, for the Republic, who were now even more desperate for ships, and whose newly constructed shipyards had been devastated by the Iconians at the Battle of New Romulus.

The Republic sent Melius, by now a solid, respected officer with a long Engineering background, well versed in construction projects, to assist the Klingons with the task.  He arrived in 2410 at Ganalda with a cadre of Republic officers who would not only assist with the restoration of the ships, but would also become the officer cadre that would command the flotilla.

Melius was able to get along with the Klingons well enough to keep the project on track, and the team was able to get the ships into service in a respectable time, but not soon enough to take part in the hostilities, which ended suddenly after about 6 months.  The main delays were in largely replacing the old power and computer systems to make them adequate to handle the new power requirements of the 25th century.  The old plasma weapons were still powerful, although many components had to be replaced to handle the greatly increased amounts of energy that would be coursing through the aging vessels from the new warp cores that were installed.

The war was now over, and the Alliance governments were grateful for being saved from the wrath of the Iconians at the last moment, before all was completely lost.  However, the massive destruction of the Alliance members’ space fleets meant that ships such as these old Khenn class cruisers would still have to be pressed into service.  

The ships entered service with the Romulan Republic in 2411.  The Klingon Empire provided most of the financial and material support for the effort, which generated much goodwill in the Romulan Republic.  As a reward for his success with the construction project, and possibly also because there were not many trained officers left alive at the conclusion of the Iconian War, the Republic appointed Melius to command the Vrenek, now renamed once again as RRW Vrenek.

Melius has been continuing the upgrades of the various systems in the RRW Vrenek, not only because it is a passion and a hobby for him to do that kind of work, but because the old ship also needs every edge it can get to survive in combat against new and ruthless aggressors.  The ship has been heavily involved in protecting systems from the aggression of the Tzenkethi, and now that the Hur’q have invaded, it has also survived against their swarms so far.

VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Very Cool! Thanks for the history behind it.

JT

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Vadm Kor, thank you for such a well written background story.  Geez, how many toons does make for you?  B-Z! 

####

I hereby recommend the above posting for the 7th Fleet "Writing/Role-playing" Award. 

I need two other recommendations to make this so. 

Qa'pla

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

COMO Sapel
Science - Commodore

Awarded:

Thank you for sharing Kor,

and I hereby Second the recommendation for the above posting for the 7th Fleet "Writing/Role-playing" Award!

3rd the motion

Awarded:

I would, but the Pulitzer Award is for Captain's Logs.  I don't have it as yet.  I've been lazy with it.

I would count this as one log entry, but he would still have to have 4 more Captain's logs to get the award - and they would have to be actual Captain's logs.

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

No worries guys, but thanks for the compliments!

Note related to Romulan Captains and faction ships - I have found that although my KDF Romulan Captain can command T3 and T4 Klingon vessels, once I got to level 50, the T5 ships did not become available.  I checked the news page for this item again and it sounds like this was intended to not happen until Victory is Life comes out.  Not sure why I am already able to man a T3 D7, so it may be a bug.  I currently have access to some Klingon ships but not all, and I did check the list of ships that will not be available on the page.  The one I want to upgrade to, the Fleet K'Tinga Refit T5, is not on the list of ships that won't be available, but it doesn't currently show up in the vendor list for my Level 50 Romulan, and neither do any of the other ships other than Warbirds that should be available.  I'm assuming this is intentional and will hopefully change on 6/5 when Victory is Life is released.  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> 7th Legion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: