View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

re: Good-bye Deep Space Nine

Well, so ends another chapter on STO and later today, pending any server failures, a new chapter will be opened.   We all had some good times over the years on DS9.  She will be missed.  However, it did make me think of DS9's "god mother" from another TV series, Babylon Five.   It was a glorious ending. 

J. Michael Straczyski wiki:

The pilot episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) aired just weeks before Babylon 5 debuted. Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski indicated that Paramount Television was aware of his concept as early as 1989,[89] when he attempted to sell the show to the studio, and provided them with the series bible, pilot script, artwork, lengthy character background histories, and plot synopses for 22 "or so planned episodes taken from the overall course of the planned series".[90][91]

Paramount declined to produce Babylon 5, but later announced Deep Space Nine was in development, two months after Warner Bros. announced its plans for Babylon 5. Straczynski stated that, even though he was confident that Deep Space Nine producer/creators Rick Berman and Michael Piller had not seen this material, he suspected that Paramount executives used his bible and scripts to steer development of Deep Space Nine.[92][93][94] He and Warner did not file suit against Paramount, largely because Straczynski didn't see it as a productive option, with negative repercussions for both TV series. In 1993 he responded to a Deep Space Nine fan who saw the lack of legal action as proof that Straczynski's allegation was unfounded, "If there is any (to use your term) winking and nudging going on, it's on the level of 'Okay, YOU (Paramount) know what happened, and *I* know what happened, but let's try to be grownup about it for now,' though I must say that the shapechanging thing nearly tipped me back over the edge again. If there are no more major similarities that crop up in the next few weeks or months, with luck we can continue that way."[94] "

Oh well, such is Hollywood.  Special Note:  JMS is writing "King Kong v. Godzilla," due out in 2020. 

"Babylon Five gave us hope, even for people like us." (Gamers)

Qa'pla

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I like the new map a lot!  I really never watched DS9, so I'm not really familiar with the set, in fact the DS9 in STO that just went away was the only real DS9 I've known since I saw the show so little.  I think it's a great improvement.  The only thing I've found that I don't like so far is that it appears that in the Shipyard/room, the Manage Ships console appears to only work for one user at a time.  Hopefully they know about it and will fix it in a patch.  I did put in a ticket about that just in case.

VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I had the same issue in the Shipyard, but a bit worse than one at a time.  The Console would stay inactive for about a minute or two after that last person left it - being unusable.  I should post a ticket.  But, it is the first week of the new season, which is always a bug filled adventure. :) 

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

A little awkward at first, but after a few laps, I got use to the lay out and the lighting.  It is more in-line with the actually scale of the TV DS9, i.e. no wasted space.  My only complaint, so far, is the Klingon Security Officer being in the back of the brig.  A major Klingon First World problem is what to do with all the prisoners, especially in the Alpha quadrant.   Odo and his guard, should be upstairs in Operations, since he is the liaison.  Hopefully, once things settle down, it won't be so crowded.  

Qa'pla

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

I was haze grey and underway when this event happened about 4 miles from my shack-in-the-swamp.  I could view the sun going down around these towers and miss that already.   It has been a Jacksonville, Florida landmark for many years. 

Qa'pla

VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Two things: First, I think it sucks that we can only have 20 prisoners in our brigs.  Prisoners mean increased dilithium production!  And second, I had noticed the other day that if you want to run around in a full and completely working version of the old DS9, you can do it by playing the Episode, Second Wave.  I had never noticed that apparently when you do that mission you are in your own personal instance of DS9!  Everything works, vendors, Exchange, Bank, and so on.

Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

Prisoners also complain unless we feed them, though.

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Prisoners are revenue;

Revenue is Life!

Qa'pla

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: