View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason32
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Steam Users Take Heed

Steam users will need to reset passwords due to a new bug called Heartbleed, which is an OpenSSL vulnerability just on the street.  

There are hundreds of thousands of servers that use OpenSSL to encrypt sensitive data that must be patched.  Keep an eye on your all our accounts (financial, Amazon, Star Trek, etc) for the next few days. 

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/04/steam-has-security-vulnerability-do-not-use-until-fixed

http://heartbleed.com/

davisjm0311

on the bright side, steam has already fixed it and apparently it wouldn't affect you if you're like me and never actually sign out(only works when signing in) I'll change my passwords when I get home this evening just to be sure. If anyone sees my @davisjm0311 in STO before this evening, please kick my ass from the fleet.

VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

This link allows you to input a site and see if they have patched for Heartbleed.

http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Heartbleed Vulnerability

Here is another good site to check.  I use LastPass to store my site credentials, and other information.  They have set up a page to help determine whether a site is compromised, as well:

https://lastpass.com/heartbleed/

LastPass is great, it allows you to generate long random passwords for all your accounts and store them in a centralized repository.  How safe is that from getting hacked?  Don't know but I've had success with not being hacked so far by using it, so it may be good.  Here is their claim from this page:

"However, LastPass is unique in that your data is also encrypted with a key that LastPass servers don’t have access to. Your sensitive data is never transmitted over SSL unencrypted - it’s already encrypted when it is transmitted, with a key LastPass never receives. While this bug is still very serious, it could not expose LastPass customers’ encrypted data due to our extra layers of protection. On the majority of the web, user data is not encrypted before being transmitted over SSL, hence the widespread concern. 

Also, LastPass has employed a feature called “perfect forward secrecy”. This ensures that when security keys are changed, past and future traffic also can’t be decrypted even when a particular security key is compromised."

For what it's worth, hope it helps.  Anyway I like LastPass due to the convenience, especially since my Android phone now lets me run it as a service, so I can use it in just about all apps on the phone, too.

With all the security issues android has that's probably good to use. I change my home passwords every few months when I have to change my passwords at work...no issues so far. 

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

davisjm0311 wrote:

on the bright side, steam has already fixed it and apparently it wouldn't affect you if you're like me and never actually sign out(only works when signing in) I'll change my passwords when I get home this evening just to be sure. If anyone sees my @davisjm0311 in STO before this evening, please kick my ass from the fleet.

For the love of God me as well...

Are you not on right now?

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Fleet News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: