Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Group 7 Galactic [G7G]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

re: RSI PAX East Reveal

Just got the reveal from RSI at PAX east Looks awesome...

This is still very Alpha, but I don't think that this project will go the way of Battlecruiser 3000 AD. I played the original Wing Commander series and have long wished that they would re-make it. It would seem that Chris Roberts is doing so. Frankly, it is good to see the PC returning to center stage in the gaming world. For far too long consoles have dominated and reduced the gaming experience. Roberts is poised to show the world just what the modern PC is capable of achieving. If that were the only thing that he was going to accomplish, I would want him to be successful. But the success of this project from a gaming perspective will be far broader than anything seen to date, if Star Citizen achieves it's potential. The movement toward a 64 bit architecture is promising. Hopefully, he will also take advantage of SMTP and the multiple cores of modern processors by optimizing his code for them. If he does, then this game will be something not seen before by gamers and will have an impact on the gaming world greater than his original Wing Commander.

If Star Citizen is as successful as I believe that it might be, gamers will once again seek to be on the bleeding edge of PC technology.

I'm super excited about the game.  The closer it gets the more I'm leaning toward the trade route of things and might end up getting a Freelancer.  I'm just hoping that it won't require a huge upgrade on my part. I know I've said it before, but cost of the upgrading to run the game smooth, to "be on the bleeding edge of PC technology", will sadly determine my playing the game. 

I really hope his plan for rolling out content works out and the material is constantly fresh.  It seems my burnout times between seasons for STO are becoming sooner and longer

I know what you mean, Huck. I don't think that I could afford to upgrade like I used to do years ago either. By designing games to be at their best for the newest tech, companies could keep a game on the shelf a lot longer. But with micro circuits reaching quantum limitations in design, tech advancement is starting to slow down, and Moore's law is now in danger of failing. As advances slow, the tech is expected to become cheaper as a result. Long story short, if your PC tech is relatively modern, you should be able to play the game without investing a small fortune. 

I don't have very high hopes for Star Citizen because I know that Roberts dreams big, but his actual leadership chops are pretty limited.  His original plan for Freelancer was for it to be very similar to his plans for Star Citizen.  However, after being 18 months late on delivery, he stepped out of the lead role, and Microsoft stripped the game down so that it could be delivered.  I'm fully confident that Star Citizen will eventually be released, but not for a couple of years.  I also wouldn't be surprised if there are significant compromises made in order to deliver a product.

In the mean time, it looks like Elite: Dangerous is entering beta, and is expected to be released later this year.  Elite: Dangerous is being developed by the original Space Sim developer, David Braben.  Braben isn't as well known as Chris Roberts, but Elite is what paved the path for games like Wing Commander.  Elite will have many of the same features as SC, but will have a much larger universe.  They have also announced that it will have Oculus Rift support.  It doesn't look like it will be quite as flashy as SC, but the system requirements won't be stupidly insane either.

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

HunterAP wrote:

I don't have very high hopes for Star Citizen because I know that Roberts dreams big, but his actual leadership chops are pretty limited.  His original plan for Freelancer was for it to be very similar to his plans for Star Citizen.  However, after being 18 months late on delivery, he stepped out of the lead role, and Microsoft stripped the game down so that it could be delivered.  I'm fully confident that Star Citizen will eventually be released, but not for a couple of years.  I also wouldn't be surprised if there are significant compromises made in order to deliver a product.

Sadly I can see your point here.  I've been following the game longer then anyone, seeing as how I get credit for bringing it to the fleet's radar, and too many times already has there been dates set for releases that weren't meet.  Brochures were never on time and now they haven't been released since LTI went away in Nov.  Gameplan was having Freelancer and Connie's done before then.  Dogfight module Alpha was Dec, still not here.  It all boiled down to "because Chris doesn't think it's ready/it ain't quite what he wants".  I admire him wanting to perfect the game itself, but sometimes I feel he needs to realize it's a game and not it's own virtual world that needs to be perfect to every detail. 

Will it be cool if it is perfect? Heck yea!!!  But seeing as how I tolerate all the craziness in STO that don't match up with anything, I'll survive if he just delivers an awesome game.

Awarded:

An update from PAX South via a  Reddit reporter:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2tfkkr/pax_south_live_updates_im_analog_dan_and_ill_be/

Wow, a lot of information in a bullet format.

(Hat tip: 42 Underdogs forum)

Cheers

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

Wupteedo wrote:

An update from PAX South via a  Reddit reporter:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2tfkkr/pax_south_live_updates_im_analog_dan_and_ill_be/

Wow, a lot of information in a bullet format.

(Hat tip: 42 Underdogs forum)

Cheers

Thanks for the post good read. Love these...

Asshole Purgatory confirmed....

2:28 - Planetside instances will have matchmaking. Griefers will have their own instances. Applause. Meaning: assholes will be instanced with other assholes.

2:31 - Habitual griefers in civilized systems will be banished for 24 hours or some period of time.

Jump to: