View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

re: Oh look... crafting maybe useful again...

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/5007693

4 years later...

Awarded:

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/5007863

Small RP post about the new update lets see whats up when the new dev blog hits later this week...

The current in game crafting system stinks on ice. Frankly, anything would be better than what we currently have. A good crafting system can really support a game's economy and even support crafting guilds, but I just don't see something like that in STO's future.

Awarded:

Knightnblu wrote:

The current in game crafting system stinks on ice. Frankly, anything would be better than what we currently have. A good crafting system can really support a game's economy and even support crafting guilds, but I just don't see something like that in STO's future.

Would be a really neat surprise though :)

Awarded:

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/5008073

They are replacing the anomalies with a rarity style gases, metals and particles system just like the loot.

nice, an actual material system and not just boxes of different colors

Awarded:

The inventory area for crafting mats sounds like they've adapted one of their better ideas from Neverwinter.

Anton Mercer wrote:

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/5008073

They are replacing the anomalies with a rarity style gases, metals and particles system just like the loot.

Yes, but from the sound of the rest of Dev Blog #26  I would not get my hopes up just yet. I mean we are talking about Cryptic here. I am just waiting for them to put special crafting materials in lock boxes that you cant get anywhere else or something dumb like that. I mean, they already said that they were going to do R&D packs on the C-Store. But while this system will be using "an actual material system and not just boxes of different colors'', and this system will convert current materials we currently have, what will that mean for things like data samples and alien artifacts? So far Cryptic has been unclear on that one.

While I do like that they are adding separate storage in your inventory, how about the bank or the fleet banks? I mean if "A good crafting system can really support a game's economy and even support crafting guilds" people will actually want to do a lot of crafting.  So in my mind, adding extra storage in the character and fleet banks would only strengthen the support a good crafting system would give to a game like this. but in the end I am going to have to agree with what Knightnblu said,"but I just don't see something like that in STO's future."

I state these points with an overall feeling of uncertainty on the whole matter. Personally, I dont craft so even if this flops, it wont effect me too much. I am just more concerned about the other players, fleet members and what this means to the fleet as a whole. 

Only time will tell I guess...Off to read the STO Forums on this one...

Awarded:

This is all moot unless they actually make crafted items worth having.  And I'm not sure how they can do that without compromising the work people have put in on both their personal reputation systems and fleet holdings.

sparrow794 wrote:

This is all moot unless they actually make crafted items worth having.  And I'm not sure how they can do that without compromising the work people have put in on both their personal reputation systems and fleet holdings.

I agree, Mr. Shackelford. I have been spending the last 2 hours reading this:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1146761&page=1

Please note the following posts though:

#35--> Inventory only

#39--> Hint on crafting Fleet equivalent items

#42--> Concerns on Data Samples and Particle Traces

#56--> Hint on updated Ageis Set

#63--> Dil Concerns

I have only made it up to page 13 so far and it seems like Dil costs will be a key factor in this new system with players. I for one dont like the Dil costs in crafting, but that is just me. A good solution would be to just increase the cap to like 30,000 a day for F2P players and 100,000 or unlimited for the P2P players.

Also there seems to be talk, concern, and debate on Clusters being removed from Sector Space as well....... Interesting so far.

sparrow794 wrote:

Yep.  When I started playing, the crafted gear was what you wanted actually.  It was normal for people to ask someone in the fleet to craft gear for them. 

I don't think Cryptic will care honestly if they compromise the reputation and fleet holdings too much.  It's always a power creep for them it seems.  Look at all the ships people don't really use anymore in game.  But if they do care enough to not compromise I see them adding unique properties to gear, like Fleet stuff carries the Dmg x2 mod.  And I'm sure it will come down to preference.  I still prefer standard Mk XII purple weapons over the fleet weapons (at least till we get the elite).

Let's hope for the best though, maybe we will get lucky.

Awarded:

Minor Q & A from smirk mostly concering the crafting 

http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community/b/540319894

oh... BTW the update is on tribble... and its horrible...

Awarded:

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/6001543-crafting-systems-part-1

First part of them explaining the crafting revamp

Awarded:

Someone got some hard numbers for leveling up in the new system...

Originally Posted by kasraken View Post
Someone asked for this so here are some quick and dirty hard numbers from my time crafting under the new system.

With 600 being the standard XP received per hour (no matter what you craft ..other than the “special” items.. it comes out to 600xp per hour). 

Here is the number of hours or XP to level up to 10th.
0 to 1st = 0.05 or 30xp
1st to 2nd = 0.38 or 260xp
2nd to 3rd = 16.23 or 10,000xp
3rd to 4th = 33.33 or 30,000xp
4th to 5th = 30 or 48,000xp
5th to 6th = 34 or 68,400xp
6th to 7th = 42 or 93,600xp
7th to 8th = 45 or 120,600xp
8th to 9th = 48 or 149,400xp
9th to 10th = 51 or 180,000xp

The above is if you don't use dilithium to "finish now". You also need to add the hours together to get a total time for going from 1st level to 10th in just that one school (in this case 300 hours).

Don't sound too bad ..right? Just under 13 days and you could be level 10!

Lets look at the numbers going from level 11 to 15.
Finally.. you are level 10 and can make all the components, but you want to be able to make the special items from this school, so you need to get to level 15.
10th to 11th =120 or 252,000xp
11th to 12th = 135 or 333,000xp
12th to 13th = 150 or 423,000xp
13th to 14th = 165 or 522,000xp
14th to 15th = 180 or 630,000xp

So 1050 total hours into crafting (if you don't "finish now") you are able to craft the special items. That's nearly 44 days if you keep on top of things and can manage the materials required to keep it moving.

You decide to max out the school but level 16 requires a hefty price, what most games call a "HELL LEVEL" It costs 420 hours just to go from 15 to 16!
15th to 16th = 420 or 882,000xp
16th to 17th = 450 or 1,152,000xp
17th to 18th = 480 or 1,440,000xp
18th to 19th = 510 or 1,746,000xp
19th to 20th = 540 or 2,070,000xp

After 3450 hours (just under 144 days) and a minimum of 103,500 materials (3450 hourly projects consisting of 6 components per item with each component requiring 5 materials) you have mastered your first school.

Congratulations!

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: