View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrendorLeises

re: Away Team Gear

Feel free to move this topic if I've chosen the incorrect forum.

Hello again. My Haanom Guardian Warbird is shaping up nicely. Now it's time I moved onto my captain's personal equipment and my away team's equipment. I like the current group makeup. I have the Jam'hadar ground set on all of my away team members except my healer. She had high level purple quality equipment and I didn't see the need of swapping it out. I think her current gear generally had better stats anyway.

As an aside, I was wondering which race and/or traits I should be looking for when purchasing Boffs from the exchange for my away team and stations aboard my starship.

Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

There isn't a very wide variety or even availability of BOffs with space traits.  If you can find some with Efficient, that one is nice, and is typically found on saurians or liberated borg, if you have access to one.  Superior Romulan Operative is another good one, and can be found on some Romulan BOffs available at the Embassy (or just romulan boffs in general if you're playing a romulan characer.)  Leadership is a decent trait as well that can be found on most human BOffs.

Captain -- please let us know what faction you are playing.  Romulans/Remans can play both ways. 

Federation side:  Human Leadership is a plus.  Healer, look for a Betazoid Science officer (note:  Males go for $1000 credits, females $50K credits) with telepathic trait (on ground - Reduced threat, Increased Team Regeneration) and +10 perception.  Saurians were mention above with the "efficient trait."  I have a few as engineers and they are good ground fighters.   Often overlooked, are the Bajorians (I use as Science officer) for their -- "+0.2% Healing to Shields and Hitpoints (Engineer)" or "10% bonus to healing abilities used on you" (Science)  I think the trait is called "Spiritualism."    Source:  STO Memory-Alpha

KDF side:  More at home here.  Just for regular play, I have four wonderful Orion females on my ground team; 1 Tac, 1 Sci (healer), 2 Eng (turrets/shield gen).  They are not wearing KDF battle armor.   For more serious ground adventure, I use my Jem'hadar Tac Boff (game reward) with full Jem'hadar set. Lethean Engineer with Superior Mental Discipline and Rapture (also has Efficient, but that is a space trait), Android Science for healing and self-rez, and Orion Female Engineer with Superior Seduce.  

Romulan KDF Officers has the best of both worlds. 

There is no secret, but it comes down to "trait" hunting and what you want your team to do.  "Superior Operative" on a Romulan will cost you.  This will help:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait

Through the Rep system I was able to pick some excellent MK XII purple equipment for the troops.  I also keep a few extra rifles in my inventory to swap out depending on the foe (undine/voth/tholian).  I also have a secondary team equipped for melee for use against Borg (no re-modulation to worry about) .  Give you absolute best shields/armor to your healer and a long range weapon like the Borg Arm. 

There is also a variety of forum post on various blogs about ground teams on STO, especially over at Star Trek Academy.  Good hunting.

Cheers

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I'm fortunate in that my away team all have sets from the Omega Rep system that I got as drops before the rep system came out.  But there's so much variety in equipment these days that it's really just a matter of preference.

Also, if you're able to get a hold of some zen, caitians are neat for an away team...

Why caitian?

She's a Federation Romulan

Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

TrendorLeises wrote:

Why caitian?

She's a Federation Romulan

They just make good security officers.  They have a couple of unique damage/movement boosting traits.

Jump to: