View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revan Majere

re: SW TOR

Hey guys,

I just discovered that Star Wars the old republik is still installed on my hard drive.

Is anyone of you still playing this? Is the expension worth it? Anyone played this game lately? I havent touched it in 2 years or soemthing.

VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I am finally able to play it on my new laptop, and have been playing it on and off. I primarily play on Begeren Colony (Republic), Shadowlands (Sith) or Ebon Hawk (Sith).

I been playing when I've got nothing else to do or not on STO.  Jedi Guardian, level 20 I think.  I don't remember the server off hand.

Awarded:

It's where I spend most of my time, until Star Citizen comes out. 

Hmm.  I never did get around to playing TOR.  I was going to install it just to go through the story when it went F2P but never did.   I always heard teh Multiplayer aspect was pretty weak.   What all is there to do?

TrendorLeises

I play myself, although not lately. I keep it updated and log in occasionally. I can't remember which server either.

VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Gerron Vek wrote:

Hmm.  I never did get around to playing TOR.  I was going to install it just to go through the story when it went F2P but never did.   I always heard teh Multiplayer aspect was pretty weak.   What all is there to do?

Each class has its own storyline quest/missions, that take you to the various planets. You tend to stay on one planet for a bit, then the storyline takes you on to the next. There are "dungeons," called Flashpoints, that you and three other people can run. They tend to be the best place that I've seen, so far, for earning Social points/XP. Social XP is used to "level up" your Social tier, which allows you to buy different armor/weapons with a cosmetic theme.

There's also PvP, but I have done very little of that; it exists in both arena form and open world (on PvP servers).

Their Free-to-Play model is, quite honestly, one of the worst I've ever encountered. As a former subscriber, I had some things grandfathered in, such as my Chiss Bounty Hunter (Chiss are one of the races you have to pay to unlock in the Cartel store, same as Twi'leks). Their F2P model basically makes it so you are either better off paying to subscribe or not playing, if you want access to a lot of stuff. After it went F2P, I subbed for a month to gain access to the Cartel coins I had been awarded for prior sub time, and to get enough to unlock some stuff in the store - such as being able to have 3 crew skills instead of 2 (crew skills are the equivalent of tradeskills or professions - essentially, crafting). Only subscribers can queue crew skills, while Preferred/F2P have to run them one at a time.

Now, that being said, I think the game can be fun, especially when grouped and running flashpoints or doing missions/quests planetside.

I have a Jedi Sage, level 53 (out of 55) on Progenitor. But couldn't find any sensible guild, which works like a repellent on me.

Some will say that I'm being too negative, but I totally disliked the massive skill system, similar to that in WoW. No strategy involved, only cycling your 20 skills in combos. And mindless grinding, grinding, grinding. Kill 20 of those, kill 30 of these; then repeat.

I had no time to use my lightsaber in combat because I was too busy clicking the skill icons, which I had three full rows.

What I loved is the SWtOR's dialogue system - the idea of a whole party taking part in a conversation and affecting it, is refreshing.

I love the game but I progress very slow in it. I have a Repulic Soldier and a Bounty Hunter but I haven't played on there all that much.

I also play this on and off, I am an Alt-oholic regardless of the game that I play, and that is very true for SWTOR.  I have about 14 diff toons, all on Harbinger, and the guild there is a very good one.  I really enjoy it whenever  I'm in the mood for Star Wars, I've heard there are a lot of similarities between SWTOR and WoW, but I never played WoW for more than a couple min at a time.  There's lots of stuff to do, and I actually think there is less grinding involved in that than there is in STO.

Awarded:

Jim Dangle wrote:

I also play this on and off, I am an Alt-oholic regardless of the game that I play, and that is very true for SWTOR.  I have about 14 diff toons, all on Harbinger, and the guild there is a very good one.  I really enjoy it whenever  I'm in the mood for Star Wars, I've heard there are a lot of similarities between SWTOR and WoW, but I never played WoW for more than a couple min at a time.  There's lots of stuff to do, and I actually think there is less grinding involved in that than there is in STO.

Well, whenever you're the million pound gorilla in the room, and have certain features you either introduced or refined/tweaked, players tend to compare others to you. The skill point tree/specialization system was first seen in WoW, to the best of my knowledge and game experience. Instancing was first seen in Anarchy Online, but Blizzard really made it work well for dungeons. An in-game structure for raids was first introduced in WoW (I think), or it refined what was present in EverQuest*.

* I last raided before I switched to WoW shortly after its launch, and was never a regular raider at that point, so I don't remember if there was an actual raid group structure.

I'm sure I could point out a lot of things that Blizzard polished and refined from other MMOs to implement in their game, but as I said, when you're the big boy on the block, you're the one that gets comparisons drawn to.

I hadn't played since before it went free to play, but I re-subbed over the weekend and started a new character.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: