View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
~Maiax~

re: Get ready to spend more cash on us - Cryptic announces

Gentlemen,

Our starship improvements, careful balancing and loadouts we so painstakingly developed, are about to be for nothing yet again. A new tier 6 of starships will make all of our perfected and caringly tended ships obsolete and substandard. Or so they boast.

Arc announcement here.

At least it gives us something new to do.  After all they have to come up with new ways to earn money.  There is only so much they can do with lockboxes, adding the Xindi is what I would call stretching out.

From most of what I read, I like what they are doing and it seems to provide you with more options.  I'm sure it won't take too long to figure out good loadouts since most players will be building off what they know and have.

The one thing I don't like is that ship......I saw it in the Delta Rising announcement video they released today.  In my opinion it's pure ugly and to me doesn't carry the look of Federation design outside the hull layout.  Kinda makes me sick to think that CBS approved some of the early designs that are already in game.   I like the sleek lines and "smooth" look of the shows and the movies.  If that makes sense. 

Granted the Intrepid, Akira, Steamrunner, Defiant, and Prometheus carried a new take when introduced.  But they seemed to flow with the design from previous ships.  Or it my just be they were introduced on screen and it's why they seem to "flow" with the design of things in my head.

The Sao Paulo, Bellerophon, Regent, and Odyssey carry the look with a modern twist just fine.  I know a lot love the looks of the Avenger, but too me it just doesn't carry the "look" outside it's basic Trek hull layout.  The Sovereign was a battleship when she was built, but she was elegant and didn't have to look beefy and blocky to carry the warship vibe.

Once again......it's purely my opinion.   Might not make much sense, but it's how I feel.

I agree with you Huckabee, it looked like a Halo ship honestly, it did not look like a Federation vessel. Also, some ships are being raised to Tier 6 status and being upgraded when Delta Rising goes live. I dont remember the dev blog that talked about this, but I was keen to find out which ships were being upgraded. Sadly, I do not remember which ships are being upgraded. I believe the Sovereign Class, Odyssey Class, and Scimitar were though.

VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Just was looking at the announcement myself and the first thing that occurred to me was, "Why don't they change all the Tier 5 ships to be able to level up also?"  Think of all the unmitigated NerdRage that is about to be unleashed when all those ships that a lot of us ground for, or bought, or won from boxes [some times after opening a cargo bay full of lock boxes] suddenly all become obsolete overnight.  Maybe they want to leverage the players into buying Tier 6 ships, but there will be T6 ships that everyone gets for free, right?  If so, why can't I have a Fleet K'Tinga that levels up with me to 60?  Especially since I paid money to buy it?  The fact that the ship that I like so much will now be obsolete bothers me more than the money, which I don't really care about that much.  But I REALLY like that ship!

Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

gricks wrote:

I agree with you Huckabee, it looked like a Halo ship honestly, it did not look like a Federation vessel. Also, some ships are being raised to Tier 6 status and being upgraded when Delta Rising goes live. I dont remember the dev blog that talked about this, but I was keen to find out which ships were being upgraded. Sadly, I do not remember which ships are being upgraded. I believe the Sovereign Class, Odyssey Class, and Scimitar were though.

Didn't see this before my last post.  Hopefully they just include all T5 ships that players paid Zen for!

Tactical - Captain

COMO Kor wrote:
gricks wrote:

Didn't see this before my last post.  Hopefully they just include all T5 ships that players paid Zen for!

Sadly I think that's wishful thinking.  Just take a look at all the older Zen ships that are T5 and how all the newer ones made them, for the most part, obsolete outside of the people who just love the ships that keep them flying (Example: Novin in his Galaxy and me in the Bellerophon/Intrepid).  Then when they weren't making newer ones, they made fleet ships.  Which again, made the newer ships obsolete stat wise making players have to upgrade up if they wanted the "best" ship.  Now it's going to be the new T6 ships raising the bar, then probably the T6 Fleet ships raising it further. 

The power creep will continue unfortunately and at least some ships will get left behind more then likely just based on the trend.  Just look around the galaxy and see how many classes of ship you actually see compared to what's at Endgame.

Awarded:

Huckabee40 wrote:

Sadly I think that's wishful thinking.  Just take a look at all the older Zen ships that are T5 and how all the newer ones made them, for the most part, obsolete outside of the people who just love the ships that keep them flying (Example: Novin in his Galaxy and me in the Bellerophon/Intrepid).  Then when they weren't making newer ones, they made fleet ships.  Which again, made the newer ships obsolete stat wise making players have to upgrade up if they wanted the "best" ship.  Now it's going to be the new T6 ships raising the bar, then probably the T6 Fleet ships raising it further. 

The power creep will continue unfortunately and at least some ships will get left behind more then likely just based on the trend.  Just look around the galaxy and see how many classes of ship you actually see compared to what's at Endgame.

All too true I'm sure, Sir

And you know what? There are some very simple ways of not making old ships obsolete when new are introduced.

Just make smaller ships faster, easier to maneuver and harder to hit, and that's all. We would see more of lighter, lower tier ships in-game. That would also correspond to the reality.

Just give extra 5% Defence, Inertia, Turn Rate and Speed to each subsequent tier, counting downwards from 6.

They did it in Star Trek Strafleet Command 3, why not in STO?

Awarded:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7002133-tier-5-starship-upgrades

T5 to T5-U is what they are calling it. Most ships will have a ZEN cost to upgrade to the T5-U.. some will be free all the details are in the blog.

Awarded:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7002133

DOOM DOOM DOOM

I suggest reading the devblog above and seeing how they are addressing some of your issues.

Look, this is very simple.  If you spent money on a thing, and derived enjoyment from it, then the transaction is complete.  Adding a new tier of starships to the game does not detract from any advantage or enjoyment you have already derived from your purchase, much in the same way that JJ Abrams is not going to come to your house and burn all of your TOS blu-rays.  The existence of a parallel story does not threaten or destroy what you have already enjoyed, and that holds true here.  

These complaints aren't about money, it's about your involvement in a self-made dick waving contest that you feel you've already won and shouldn't have to engage in any further.  I heard similar whining when the trait system was changed.  But I've invested so much time and effort and blood and sweat into the system and they changed it!  When, from my perspective, that isn't the problem; the problem is that the idea that you are now being put on par with other players is somehow fucking problematic.  You might as well be shouting OMG I have to slum it with all these other people again?  But my peen is so much tastier!  You are essentially allowing your own pride and arrogance to prevent you from enjoying the new content.  Content, which, by the way, you have only glimpsed a sliver of in a devblog.  Are you playing this game to relax and have fun, or because you are using it, like so many other mmo players, as a way to feel better about yourself?  Look at me in my starship ma, I'm the king of STO!

When Delta Rising goes live, there are going to be players who are level sixty within a few days.  Why do people do this?  Because they have a lot of free time on their hands?  Hardly.  Those people base their self worth on being ahead of the curve in a video game.  Ask yourself how sane that seems.

If you feel the need to be negatively critical of something you don't know very much about yet because it somehow threatens your identity, do us all a favor and go to the ARC forums.

Wow, Mr. Shackelford, why so angry? I don't really know how I deserved that.

I believe my statement - as premature as it was, taking Arc news into account - still had and has some sense, which I'll try to clarify.

The T5-U thing changes a lot. We buy Tier 5 ships, or Fleet ones with real cash, expecting them to be put to good use - as we believe that most of our enjoyment with the new purchase is yet ahead of us, not already behind. And it is only fair that these newly-purchased ships should be at par with the new content ships.

My money today is as good as my money when Delta arrives, if you get my meaning. Unless Zen devaluate.

Check the list of starship upgrades first before the premature complaining continues please...

even though i have to pay zen to upgrade my excelsior, steamrunner, regent, akira and frisbee, i'd gladly pay for the upgrade even if i didn't get free zen with my lifetime as in my view i got my monies worth out of all of them 500 times over by now... at least we dont have to pay a whole nother *insert dollar amount here* for the same ship but just at a different tier which they could have easily done...

also it doesn't say anywhere you MUST upgrade or get a tier 6 ship, none of the content will keep you out if you don't have either, and here i thought we were the best of the best and adapt to any situation that might arise and not freak out about something new that comes up but adapt ourselves like we always have and smash it in the ass of whatever came at us...

Last edited by Edward Hau on 08/27/14 16:08; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

Capt pRett wrote:

Awarded:

(In before "Thanks Obama.")

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: