Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Group 7 Galactic [G7G]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

re: Star Citizen ground combat revealed...

Reveal of the FPS for Star Citizen I must say it does look good...

Awarded:

Outstanding show!!!!!

Cool.....but focus on what you initially promised and what people have paid for........a space sim.  Maybe then you will get it done and, you know, add features and extras later with all that extra money after $23 million.  Call me negative, I don't care (not being negative toward STO or 7th Fleet so meeeehhhh).  But Mr. Roberts has left me sour about the whole project and the promises.  I'll match my backer date to anyone that wants to argue my gripes aren't valid.

so you want a half completed game now(or as soon as possible)? it's two sides to the same coin, space sim sure, but its only half the game he wants to make with just the "space sim" component of it...

sure gripe all you want about the progress made so far, but i'd say they've made decent progress so far, sure not our monies worth by a long shot yet, and i dont know about you but i'm damn tired of half completed games being released time after time.  sure i want it now, i've been dying for a space sim for about 10 years and the dog fighting module gets boring after a while(even with a new ship coming soon) i'd say that was some pretty slick footage and the mention of the fps module(albeit brief) makes me giggle a little bit, and for early pre-alpha footage, it didnt look that bad...

Awarded:

I think Chris is getting the pieces together.  He isn't going to release it all at once.  He told everyone it was going to come out a module at a time for demo only.  This isn't the release, so I have no complaints.  I think he's doing a great job at getting the game together the way he said he was.

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Impressive, especially for pre-alpha.  Not much of a FPS type, but I do see that it would add flavor to the game; i.e., boarding ships, providing repair help, taking out a nest of bad/good guys, or hanging out with your Homies and playing cards.  What really blew me away was when they went and turn off the gravity, that was diffidently taking it up a notch or two.  Very much reminded me of some very good times in "Dead Space."

Cheers

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Mark Speed
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

I like the way it's shaping up, but I have to agree that I'd like to play finished version of the game sooner, and then you can continue to add features over time.  Somewhere I read a reference to Derek Smart and his Battlecruiser 3000 game.  That too had lots of promise and continued to be refined over time... so much time, that in the end it promised everything and delivered nothing, and fell flat.

HunterAP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_(video_game)

Scroll down to, and read, "Development."  You will see why I remain skeptical of Roberts' ability to deliver on his promises in the time frame that he has stated.  Freelancer was conceived in 1997.  It was announced in 1999 with a release of 2001.  It was actually released in 2003, after Chris Roberts stepped down as the project lead, and Microsoft told them to scale down the features.

From what I've seen so far, SC is going in the same direction.  We haven't even begun to see the, "huge, open universe."  We've been given a hangar, a limited scope, buggy, dog fighting module, and now we're being, 'tantalized,' with a first person shooter.

With the way that this funding train is going, Roberts has no incentive to actually finish the project.  With a corporate backer, he'd have a budget, and a deadline.  With the current funding model, he has no such restrictions, and can keep adding features and delaying content releases for as long as he likes.

FCPT JT Kerry wrote:

I think Chris is getting the pieces together.  He isn't going to release it all at once.  He told everyone it was going to come out a module at a time for demo only.  This isn't the release, so I have no complaints.  I think he's doing a great job at getting the game together the way he said he was.

But that's just it, he said he would deliver a space sim game.  There was no talk about FPS till after the intended game-production goal was met.  Mr. Robert's game he wants to make keeps evolving and adding more to the "original" design the more money they bring in.  There is no solid reason for why the game he ORIGINAL planned couldn't have been completed now, like he said it would.  He said all the extras, like FPS, would be worked on and implemented after he released his space sim.  The only module that was suppose to come out over time was the dogfight module, Arena Commander.  Even that he couldn't release when he said it would be done.   Every deadline they set was pushed back and instead commercials and special variants instead were worked on and released for some more money.

He said it would take $23 million to make, which is actually $20 million and the extra $3 million to pay all the expenses where it was no money out of his own pocket.  Any extra was promised to be used for additional features AFTER he released the game he promised.  That's the only reason they kept it going after $23 million, to make extra.....not to build on the initial project.

Every million he makes it turns into "Oh well, we'll add this if you guys throw us more money."  People are spending hundreds of dollars on ships they might not even play with for more then an hour.  All while the fact you can earn them in game is less spoken of.

Does what he have now looks great? Well yea sure it does, it has to for him to keep raking in the money.

If Mr. Roberts actually kept his promises, we would be playing the game this month, November 2014.  The date he said he could have the game finished for $23 million.  This was before he hired a small army to help.

Will the game be great if it every gets completed? Sure, based on what is promised and shown.  But I've seen all the promises that never held and too little has been shown based on what he, Chris Roberts, said he could shown by this date.  That's why I sold what I had to get my money back.  I'll save my money for the actually product when I see that he delivers.

I, too, was a fan boy who was swept away by the vision and introduced a lot of you to the game before you roast me for my thoughts on it.  I don't want a half completed game like Hau states.........I wanted the game he promised he could make within the timeline he said he could with the money he said it would take, without all the extra fluff that could wait.  Instead the current state of game:  No where near completed or near Beta, with double the money it needed.

** +1 to what Hunter said **

Huckabee40 wrote:

I, too, was a fan boy who was swept away by the vision and introduced a lot of you to the game before you roast me for my thoughts on it.  I don't want a half completed game like Hau states.........I wanted the game he promised he could make within the timeline he said he could with the money he said it would take, without all the extra fluff that could wait.  Instead the current state of game:  No where near completed or near Beta, with double the money it needed.

** +1 to what Hunter said **

Roasting you, by all that is holy in gaming, you shall be roasted in Eastern Carolina B-B-Q sauce; with Brunswick Stew on the side.

Good post, to Captain's Huckabee and Hunter.  I'm so caught up in the hype, that I'm having a hard time to seeing the trees in the Forrest.  My 2 cents at this point, is that Mr. Roberts is so overwhelmed by all the money, he went a little nuts.  However, he has managed to hire some real pro's that know how to run larger than life games, and IMHO, that will probably slow the process even more, but will create a better game in the future.  Like Eve, WoW, Everquest, and even old Ultma On-line, I believe Star Citizen will be around a long time.  Also, as a subscriber, I get a little more information about the game then most of the folks.  You concerns are noted on our forums as well.  From what I gather from the "10 for the Chairman" is that the current main focus is getting "Squadron 42" out as a stand alone game.  I think back to the promises made by Lord/General British about Tabula Rasa, which was 3 years late, and ultimately failed to delivered as promised.  I have faith and hope that Mr. Roberts will be our Willy Wonka, and not The Music Man

On a side and sad note, many of the first round of developers, including Wingman, are either leaving or have left.  Burn-out and quality of life issues seem to be the corrupts. 

Cheers

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Pulled this little jewel from the RSI website.  It's a little long (9:25), but the ABC Interviewer makes it worth while to watch. 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14285-Chris-Roberts-On-ABC-News-In-Australia

That zipper! 

Cheers

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Another little jewel found in the Den.  This is about the lore of Star Citizen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HeN231BvD2U

Cheers

CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

You make a good point about him possibly getting over-whelmed with the money and going nuts.  I know he just wants to make an awesome game and wants it perfect the way he would like.  He just needs to step back I think and focus on the initial promises that everyone jumped on board with and at least deliver that asap without sacrificing.  But his own "perfection" attitude, which is great, is a double edge sword that could ultimately hurt things if he is not careful.

That sucks about Wingman and some of the earlier guys leaving.  I hope it was just quality of life and not based on frustrations that I and others seem to share.  If that was the case, that doesn't spell well for the project.

Don't confuse my sour taste with my outlook on the project in general.  I still want to see this game succeed and be the "best damn space sim" ever made and would even find ways to upgrade my computer even though it wouldn't benefit my wallet.

But Elite: Dangerous, if I remember correctly, kickstarted around the same time and it releases this December.  If it does well, I might go that route even though it's not got the detail and gorgeous ships that Star Citizen already has.

I'm in the planning process of building a cockpit for Elite: Dangerous.  (will double as a racing cockpit for iRacing.)

I have the computer built for it, I'm hosting an Artemis party in a couple of weeks, and will begin the build after that is over.

Jump to: