View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torakenat

re: Saluting the Union Jack

I fear this introduction post to be fairly late. However, to ensure I get to greet everyone here at the Lucky 7th I feel everyone here deserves to know a little about me.

I'm Ak'henaton pronounced "Acka naton" and a new player to the game. Not a stranger to gaming in general as I have a long history of gaming with Star Wars Galaxies (guild leader of NSF on Chilastra), Eve Online, WOW, GM for Navyfield, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. 

At home, I'm a proud veteran of the RL 7th fleet while serving on the George Washington. Currently, I'm in school to regain my CDL as it has been many years since I have drove over the road. Without going into my detailed work history, I have worked as management in tech support and customer service for a couple nationwide cable providers. Also, I am pursuing a degree in Business so that I can keep my options open for the near future.

In game, you can count on me to throw down on many if not all fleet events despite my newness (noobish) to the game. Despite this handicap, I'm confident in picking up and continue to grow into my flag ship the U.S.S. Washington.

Thanks again to everyone for having me as I work towards on continuing on the Lucky's tradition of being one of the finest pilots in the game.

Awarded:

Welcome aboard sir!

Awarded:

Welcome Aboard!

Awarded:

Are you going to try and make me repudiate all my gods in favor of monotheistic sun worship?

Welcome to the 7th.

Welcome to the 7th, servant of Aton. It also sounds as if Shack is aware of the meaning of your chosen name as well. I would assume that you have an interest in Egyptology? Regardless, we are proud to have you join us and I hope that you stay here is everything that you expect it to be. I look forward to seeing you in game!

Awarded:

Welcome to the Fleet sir! Your Khopesh will be most appreciated

Welcome aboard.  Always nice to have a real WESTPAC sailor in the Fleet.  In my wayward youth, I served on Com7thFlt staff aboard the old "Okie Boat" then we shifted the Flag to the USS Blue Ridge. 

Once you have gotten your "toon" (character) to level 60 and feel comfortable with the game, I encourage you to explore the fun* side of the game - the Klingon Defense Force.  Our KDF Fleet is the 7th Imperial Tactical Squadron.  We have cookies Bloodwine. 

* = four months at Sea, a wallet full of money, and pulling into Subic Bay, R.P.

Hawat Thu'fir

Commodore(P)

Com7thITS

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Torakenat

I must apologize in advance...there is only one god and one god only sparrow794 lol even if I have to move the base of operations to decree it...it will be done.

Long story short on the name, I use to be in a RP group when SG-1 was on showtime. I got the name when I had to change my old gamer tag of Col Torpid to Tor'Akhenaton when I got joined by the Tok'ra.

Also, as a side note. My rl title is Colonel, bestowed upon me by my state governor (Steve Beshear) as a Kentucky Colonel :D

Awarded:

Welcome aboard.  Quick question, why is this topic titled "Saluting the Union Jack"?  Is this a Navy thing or are you a closet Brit?

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Torakenat

union jack is the maritime flag displayed at the bow of the ship.

yes its a navy thing lol

Awarded:

Torakenat wrote:

yes its a navy thing lol

Yeah, we didn't get that in the Army.  Was it the Star field, or the "Don't tread on me!" version?

JT

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

FCPT JT Kerry wrote:
Torakenat wrote:

yes its a navy thing lol

Yeah, we didn't get that in the Army.  Was it the Star field, or the "Don't tread on me!" version?

JT

If I recall my time with 501st MI Group & 6903rd Security Squadron (sort of), the Army had something called "Colors," which came in a variety of actual colors and symbols, depending on the size of the unit.

http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/loss.html

When a U.S. Navy ship leaves port, the announcement over the 1-MC something like this - "Shift Colors, Underway" or "Shift Colors, in Port."  So when underway, the USN Union Jack was taken down on the bow of the ship, and the Ensign (U.S. Flag) was raised on the aft of ship and sometimes in the rigging (radar/antennas/crows nest), while at sea.  Now it's been 35 years since I've been "lazy grey and underway," so hopefully some traditions still exist. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_of_the_United_States

The more you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Cheers

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Smaug is right.  I didn't think about the unit colors, so the Army does have its traditions using flags.  I stand corrected.  That's cool - it shows that there's some  continuity between the forces without being identical.  Thanks.

Captain Moonlight
Tactical - Captain

<!-- [if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]-->

Yes, welcome to the Fleet.

I'm fairly new myself here and must say it is a great fleet to be in - regardless of your membership of the real fleet this is a great bunch. Make use of the wealth of knowledge on builds - kit - configuration and tactics. it will up your game and get you better rewards.

For a new captain may I suggest beginning the grinds early. Reputation systems and R&D schools level up asap - and don’t waste your Duty Officer selections when you get them. later on it will pay off once you start wanting the Gucci kit (top notch gear).

I am a true (not closet case) Brit, and can confirm that our flag is the 'Union Flag' - the Union Jack is a flag flown from the 'Jack' mast of a ship or stone frigate (Shore Base) baring the 'Jack'. The only time we use the Union Flag for this is when we were securing the first line coming alongside, in full dress order, the Admiral or a member of the firm came aboard (the firm being the Royal Family) or when a General Court Martial was in session. – (Booting 2 young sailors out for possession of drugs in the Med was the only time I saw this)

Looking at the topic this has developed into I’ll tell you my recollections of my 'Military Knowledge' lessons. The colours for those who don't know:

These are oversized square flags the lads would use in line battles of the 1700 - 1900's to rally to and be able to identify the actions the bugler was calling them to. Each was unique and British regiments have 2 each - the Queens Colour touched by the Queen herself (or King) and the Regimental Colour. These are embellished with Battle Honours (scrolls listing the engagements the colours were present at) and were carried in the fight right up until the Boxer Rebellion of 1900 (India I think). Traditionally they still are carried by the hardest and bravest men in the regiment - the Colour Party, a great Honour in ceremonial duties. To lose the colours to the enemy (by way of capture in battle and removal from the field) is the worst shame and disgrace a Regiment can suffer - proving cowardice in the face of the emery and an absolute defeat. Commanding officers were expected to shoot themselves immediately following such losses to preserve honour – as the remnants of their forces in effect lost the licence to fight for the crown. Their men were absorbed into other regiments but were tasked to menial duties only and... Worse still...  stoppage of the Gin ration!

U.S usage of these flags and traditions stem from the European roots of the nation. The movies 'Gods and Generals' and Gettysburg' certainly show the colours used in the same spirit of the European conflicts between Britain, France, Russia, Prussia, Holy Roman Empire and the smaller states.

British forces on deployment these days do in fact take these colours and the Regimental silverware along (for the Officers Mess / Dinner time) with standing orders to destroy them if capture looks imminent. They would prepesent a great prize for an enimy to put on youtubeand gloat.

These are saluted as the Queen and come secondly only to her in order of precedence.

To any Military man today in the English speaking world, the colours hoisted or raised evoke a very emotional and profound sense of pride, duty, respect for the history of those before them (and a link to those men) and stand as a symbol of command and dominance over the mission at hand. Brits also fly a lot of Union Flags in combat today to stop the Yanks blowing holes in our armour! - only joking!

http://blackpoolsubmariners.weebly.com/uploads/4/7/5/8/4758090/7673777_orig.jpg

See you in Game Buddy...

Captain Moonlight.

<!-- [if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!-- [if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: