View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

re: Make new characters and get what now..?

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9080423

Something just annouced from STO and Cryptic. DELTA RECRUITS! 

War is coming, and recruits are needed for the fight. It's time to sign up to protect the galaxy from the Iconians.

Starfleet, the Klingon Defense Force, and the Romulan Republic have all kicked up their recruiting efforts. New captains in any of these factions will be known as Delta Recruits, and they bring with them the knowledge and capability needed to see to the future of the galaxy.

There will never been a better time to start playing Star Trek Online than during the Delta Recruitment event, which runs from April 2nd to May 21st. Characters made during this time will be Delta Recruits, and they will earn a host of new benefits and rewards to aid them in their leveling experience.

Delta Recruits are specifically designed to rapidly close the gap that exists between new characters and characters that have been in Star Trek Online for years. It’s the most new-player friendly the game has been in almost two years, and the perfect time to join the community of Star Trek Online.

Delta Recruits have a secondary responsibility, and that is to prepare themselves, their crews, and their entire factions for the coming Iconian War. A mysterious benefactor, an experienced captain traveling back in time, will contact all Delta Recruits during their faction’s tutorial and inform them of the opportunities not to be missed during their career. Each faction’s own temporal agency can confirm that what this person said is true, and will guide them using the Delta Recruit window, a new UI element that appears near the Mission Tracker.

Delta Recruits will be playing a parallel story to that of their chosen faction. They have a list of goals that they can achieve at any time, and completing these goals will see them rewarded with equipment, Marks, and other rewards beneficial not just to the Delta Recruit, but to all characters on the same account. Completing the story arcs of your chosen faction will reward you with a unique Starship Trait for all characters on your account: Temporal Insight. This trait will proc a Damage Immunity when you use any Hull Heal on your starship.

Delta Recruits can only be created during the Delta Recruit event. These recruits can be recognized by the Delta Symbol (∆) next to their names. All Delta Recruits will have an inherent bonus trait during the Delta Recruit Event of generating Dilithium Ore upon defeating enemies, a bonus which extends to your entire group. This trait will only be available during this event and will be gone once the Delta Recruitment event ends, so gather your Dilithium Ore while you can!

Additional rewards are gained by leveling up, playing through story content up through the Breen story arc, and finding special Delta Recruit objectives on certain mission maps. Many of the same things that players do while levelling their characters will earn Delta Recruits improved rewards!

Finally, during the first six weeks of the seven-week Delta Recruit event, there will be server wide goals that only Delta Recruits can contribute to, but by accomplishing these goals, they unlock bonuses for the entire server for the whole of the next week of the event! For example, in the first week of the event, every Episode First Run that Delta Recruits complete will count towards the goal. How many First Runs they complete will determine the bonus of the week-long event running in Week 2. You will have either a 1.5x XP bonus, a 2x XP bonus, or possibly even a 2.5x XP bonus for the entire week!

There’s far too many bonuses and rewards available to list them all here, so get ready to make your Delta Recruit (all accounts are getting one extra free character slot), and keep watching between now and April 2nd for more information.

Awarded:

I dunno.  I read the whole thing and I'm not convinced it's worth me rolling a new character, as I already have about 5 more than I can realistically pay attention to.

It's going to take a pretty sweet pot of some honey to make me roll outside my one character trend.

Awarded:

Have read it twice, still confused on what all the "Bonuses" are going to be.  And does it mean the characters we have now are just sol for season 10?

++++1 to the three last post above. 

Absolutely zero motivation to do this.  I'm kept busy enough managing the Toons has have (seven), plus trying to update their equipment to MK IVX.   IMHO, this is nothing more than Cryptic looking for additional revenue.  How much more income does Cryptic need to keep the game going?  Between crafting, Star Base projects, and most players trying to upgrade their equipment, they should be rolling in the dilithium. 

Nothing really cheer about.

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

CAPT Huckabee
Tactical - Captain

Elthiar wrote:

Have read it twice, still confused on what all the "Bonuses" are going to be.  And does it mean the characters we have now are just sol for season 10?

That's one question I have.  Is if the new system is going to put those characters we have already built up at a disadvantage to characters made during this?  I know that nothing is clear yet.  But it will be pretty shitty of them to make the character I've got 4 years of work into a disadvantaged/outdated skill state

Based on my understanding of the "event" the bonuses are of two different varieties.

First, the new delta recruits have bonuses that allow them to level up faster and they gain bonus dilithium...these both go away after the event period is over. Secondly, they will be having server wide projects that while only the delta folks have the ability to contribute to..everyone on the server benefits from the reward which lasts a week.  So the only advantage to be had (especially if like many of us whether we play 1 or 7 characters we have all the toons we want.) is that if you participate you get a starship trait that is unlocked account wide.  That being said, they may very well have other items, traits, etc. that can be gained by participating in this, but will most like be account wide as well since that's how they're treating the previously mentioned trait. 

It comes down to whether you're willing to go through the grind of leveling another character for a starship trait and a bit of extra dilithium.

Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

davisjm0311 wrote:

It comes down to whether you're willing to go through the grind of leveling another character for a starship trait and a bit of extra dilithium.

Which, mind you, will not be a whole lot depending on how they do it. If they do it per kill, as they state, I can see you getting only 1-5 dil per kill, as anything larger could be potentially exploited.

Awarded:

I dunno.  I might re-roll my fed-aligned reman science alt just for kicks, since he is only level 12 anyway.  Just to see what it's all about.

To all the long time vets, this is not disadvantageous to you in any way.  It's a program aimed at getting new players to log in and see what STO is about.  Their incentives do not detract from your already established advantages.

Awarded:

I have a toon I might use, just to see what it is about.  I might roll a new one.  It sounds like it could be fun.

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

FCPT JT Kerry wrote:

I have a toon I might use, just to see what it is about.  I might roll a new one.  It sounds like it could be fun.

Only characters created during the event count as Delta Recruits - not sure if you caught that.

Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I dunno... I guess it's a thing to do.  So I'll end up doing it just because it's there.  The only decision I've made so far is that I think it's time to roll a Talaxian...

Awarded:

I don't see a huge advantage to anything. 

Here's the latest devblog on the Delta Recruit rewards.  Looks like enough a reward to get most folks to give it a try.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9116343

Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

Quote from the Blog in the Q and A:

Q: What happens if I create a Delta Recruit, but do not complete all of the listed Tasks?

A: Once a Delta Recruit completes their special Tutorial and receives their “Tesseract Communications Device” they will be free to complete the assigned tasks at any point in the future. Although Delta Recruit characters can only be created while the event is running, there is no time limit on the completion of the tasks, or their associated rewards.

Wow... so all you seriously have to do is make the character while the event is running, do the special tutorial and let it sit there until you feel like actually going through the story again and you would still get all the rewards

I have to say... they really did this even right.. I will def be on after work Thursday making a Talaxain :)

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: