View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

re: Fleet Ops, August 2015

A hardy round of applause for FltCapt JM Davis for winning tonight's Top Gun award!  Bravo-Zulu, Sir.

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

VADM Kor
Science - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Congrats Mr. Davis!  Well done!

Science - Fleet Captain

FCAPT Davis will be tonight's Tournament Coordinator/Judge. 

Sir, see below, as this is where I make the bracket sheets from:

http://www.printabletournamentbrackets.net/

Also -

Admiral's Call Tonight! 

The Admiral Call will be prior to tonight's Top Gun event.  If you have a question, or have an idea for some sort of Fleet event or just an idea, speak up.  Communications always works best when it's two-way! 

Qapla'

Baldwin Praji
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

My work hours have changed and I go in at 9:00 p.m..  I can't make it to events in the current time slot.

Awesome job by Valencynos, the winner for Saturday evening!

davisjm0311

For the Finale the winners from each night,Valencynos and myself, squared off for a final fight.  Well fought on both sides, but I emerged victorious.  Great matches!

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Last night's Top Gun event is one for the history books.  We didn't finish until after 1 am.  I do believe this is the longest event ever held by 7th Fleet.  One match that went 3 out of 3 lasted over an hour.....it was a slug-fest, especially with the Engineers.   Heck, even yours truly lasted about 5 minutes under the brutal firepower of Capt Mercer.   None the less it was long, but a good time was had by all.   Look for this event in the future.  Special kudos to Capt Davis for handling the event tonight. 

Special note:  In similar past events, it was customarily for the winners to post their builds.  (hint-hint)   Also, stories from the last two night are always welcome.  Had a great fight or had a special weapon/console that really helped you, please share your stories.   Was glad to see the Breen Carriers were well represented over the last two nights. 

However, Yokosuka, we have a problem..........

and we need Fleet input for help.  Though a good time had by all, this was entirely too long for a Fleet event.   

Problem:  We had several matches last night that lasted too long due to expertise and builds of these Captains.  We need to find a way that is fair to all, but will shorten the potential for a long slug-fest.  We were during the best 2 out of 3 for matches.  On top of them, we were also doing double elimination brackets (think March Madness).  

1) How long should a match be?  Seven minutes seem to be the agreed too consistence.  Longer or Shorter?

2) How do we make the match finish at a faster place, as "draws" do not work for double elimination tournaments. 

One suggestion is when the seven minute mark is reached, and it is obvious this will be a draw, both Captains fly about 10 Km back from each other, remove their ship's shield, and continue to fight when told to do so by the Judge.   This is where we need your help.  Any other suggestions on how to handle this? 

Heck, based on the rules of engagement written above, any input is welcome to make these tournaments fair but fun. 

Thank you.

davisjm0311

Wupteedo wrote:

Special note:  In similar past events, it was customarily for the winners to post their builds.  (hint-hint)   Also, stories from the last two night are always welcome.  Had a great fight or had a special weapon/console that really helped you, please share your stories.   Was glad to see the Breen Carriers were well represented over the last two nights. 

Here's the build I was using.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=fcaptdavisdrainintrepid_6775

Last edited by davisjm0311 on 08/16/15 20:48; edited 1 time in total

Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Wupteedo wrote:

2) How do we make the match finish at a faster place, as "draws" do not work for double elimination tournaments. 

One suggestion is when the seven minute mark is reached, and it is obvious this will be a draw, both Captains fly about 10 Km back from each other, remove their ship's shield, and continue to fight when told to do so by the Judge.   This is where we need your help.  Any other suggestions on how to handle this? 

I don't feel that players should have to adapt to our system; our system should adapt to the players.  Rather than forcing participants to potentially compromise their builds by making them remove a piece of equipment, we should switch to a system where a draw doesn't ruin the bracket.  A Round Robin setup would allow for draws.

Another thing to consider is to trust the participants to perform their own match.  We don't all have to be on the same map.  The two people who need to engage can setup their own map and duke it out, and inform us of the results when the match is finished.  This would allow multiple matches to go on at the same time, and also remove the possibility of unintended advantages (like a captain receiving a boost from the iconian set because other players in his group also have it, or getting the the buffs from people in their group that are flying cruisers and have their team-wide buffs on).  I'm not saying any of that was an issue this time around, but I'd like to avoid it as problem in the future.  If the wargames have taught leadership anything, it's that pvp events can quickly deteriorate into arguments - so anything we can do to avoid the appearance of impropriety would be a good thing.

I enjoyed myself last night.  It has been quite awhile since I've been able to attend and fleet event.  My new work schedule is very unforgiving and I'm usually dressing down in the locker room when you are mustering.  So thank you all for throwing this awesome event and for those that showed up on Saturday night.  A big thank you to Blake for giving one hell of a fight, when I start to stress out or get extremely nervous my neck tends to seize up, so it was a heck of a time trying to keep an eye on everything (im a clicker, no using preset buttons or anything of the like).

My only solution for Eng to Eng fights was shuttles only, it ofc is in jest.  please do not use it.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=daystarclarion_10757

this is my build, description and notes filled out.  enjoy and any help for improvement is appreciated.

I have ideas on how to make PvP fun for all in the fleet, but when I voice them I get flack and hate my way for promoting a change in the system.  PM me if you want my thoughts,

Awarded:

Huckabee40 wrote:

I have ideas on how to make PvP fun for all in the fleet, but when I voice them I get flack and hate my way for promoting a change in the system.  PM me if you want my thoughts,

Look, just stop. No one has directed hate or flack your way. They have voiced disagreement or suggested other ways to implement it. Please stop with the persecution complex.

Huckabee40 wrote:

lol

Awarded:

I miss you guys, just wish there was some way to make it physical (hug it out...)

Cheers! (yes its been a while but I am still out there...)

Don't get Mercer'd! (its on the google)...

Cheers for real...

Mac

Im alive...!

P.S. Congrats p'Rett on  the big 5!

Awarded:

CPT Mercer and I fought for close to 90 minutes between 3 rounds.  I know I don't die in standard game missions, but normally I am out in these PvP scenarios.  I was surprised at my durability.

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Fleet Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: