View previous topic :: View next topic  
you-kick-my-dog

re: Proof of an Alternate universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aknXKuv2RIQ

This is not the sto we got.

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

We expected a continuation of DS9/Voyager but got Enterprise (cue vocal music) instead.   Same applies here.  Funny thing, if you replace the images we already have  from Star Citizen, beep-out "Star Trek" and replace with "Star Citizen" this would be another promotional video from RSI. 

Don't know where to look, but I wonder where the original STO "Founders" are these days?  What are they doing or where are they working? 

Qapla'

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

you-kick-my-dog

I think they would stay at Atari....if not fired for the massive drain that sto was. What we can't deny is they had a decent vision for stop just played out as less.

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

I followed this game back in 2005 when perpetual entertainment had the rights to Star Trek Online. They took to long in there development cycle CBS then pulled the plug and gave the rights to Atari / Cryptic. What we got when Atari launched the game 5 years ago was completely half baked and was a lot worse than what we have now. I kind of wish Perpetual would have completed the game based on what I've seen with the concept art It would have been a much better game IMHO. Oh well at least we have this one...

Cheers

I think that the original devs went too far overboard with their concepts. As I understood it, engineers would actually fix things on the ship. Science and tactical would have specific duties as well, and you would have to perform those duties in order to advance to your own command. Plus, there was far more emphasis on exploration and discovery too. And that is time consuming in it's own right. But like Battlecruiser 2000, the team bit off way more than they could chew.

Similar to the Mass Effect franchise, they lacked the decisive leadership necessary to drill down on what was achievable, what needed to be jettisoned, and to get the ball rolling. In other words, they dithered and it cost them.

One can only imagine that these cautionary tales are retold in classrooms across the nation about how not to run a development cycle.

Awarded:

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin wrote:

I followed this game back in 2005 when perpetual entertainment had the rights to Star Trek Online. They took to long in there development cycle CBS then pulled the plug and gave the rights to Atari / Cryptic. What we got when Atari launched the game 5 years ago was completely half baked and was a lot worse than what we have now. I kind of wish Perpetual would have completed the game based on what I've seen with the concept art It would have been a much better game IMHO. Oh well at least we have this one...

Cheers

Just remember that Atari / Cryptic only released it half-baked because CBS made them do so.

Capt pRett wrote:
Fleet Admiral E. Fortin wrote:

Cheers

Just remember that Atari / Cryptic only released it half-baked because CBS made them do so.

I was just going to say that.....Atari wanted 2 or so more years for development....CBS said nope launch it now so they did

Z. Barrett
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

Capt pRett wrote:

Executive Meddling ruins everything.

Admiral Barrett wrote:
Capt pRett wrote:

Executive Meddling ruins everything.

The Justification for profit is profit - FRoA #202  (I keep the book on my desk)

Oh yeah, BattleCruiser 3000 -- the game that never was and should of been named "BattleCrasher 2002."

Qapla'

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

you-kick-my-dog

Never herd of it before--details?

VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

FRoA = Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.

No i mean battlecruisers 3k

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: