View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBob357

re: Canceling Fleet Event

Ok, so not really. I just wanted to get people's attention. As some of you have noticed, when we have events (such as the War Games) on Fridays and Saturdays, there is an obvious dip in the number of participants for the saturday iteration. Basically I was hoping to illicit some feedback on the matter before the next staff meeting. As it stands, I will be recommending that we stop holding fleet events on Saturdays, and if something like the War Games requires two nights to complete, that we hold the second run on the following Friday. Personally, I hate the idea as I don't want to ask people to give up another Friday night per month. If you have an opinion on the matter, please share it here before Thursday night . . . unless you're a Mac user in which case you're opinion doesn't matter. 

Q'splooge

It would run a little longer, but we could have both space and ground on the same night.  

davisjm0311

We could also start enforcing the requirements to be in The 7th Fleet.

Per the manual:

the Fleet asks only a few simple things in return:

• One monthly forum login. Please login and review the forums at least once per month.

Participate in one of the following two options:

 1 Major Fleet Action a month. There are 2 Major Fleet actions every month, sponsored by the flag staff, held during Friday and Saturday nights. These are always posted one week ahead in the Fleet Events section of the Front page/forums. OR

 2 Minor Fleet activities a month. This can be any of our weekly sponsored events. There are several recurring every week. It can also be an event you yourself coordinate outside of our standard sponsored events. Finding someone else to group with and run missions (or any other activity) would certainly count

VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I wanted to do the Ground Wargames, but the wife had dinner plans with a group of her grade school buddies (couples) and it would have been very bad form for me to duck out.  They schedule the dates at the prior dinner (about once a quarter to once every 6 months).   The next one will be on August 20th - my birthday.  Tried to say something Friday, but once the Space event was over, everyone was jumping out of Vent.

The wife isn't too sympathetic to my cause.  And, there would have been hell to pay if I didn't go.  She is pretty easy about the trip to Chicago, even with the expense.

JT

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Valeʼncynos
Engineering - Captain

Going to count this as my monthly check in.  Currently on a new schedule after working 15 days straight.  The new shifts are 12hrs but I do get days off finally, which will be next week.  

As for the ground games, hold them on Friday and Space on Saturday.  Since joining the fleet the ground portion of the games has always been sparse side.  To be blunt, and correct me if I am wrong, but we have a smaller ground focused player base.  Doing it this way might show a shift in which nights are attended more often.

Last summer when we did the (cue "Danger Zone" music) Top Gun event, if I recall, that one night we stayed on for almost four hours.   So, as long as the night is dedicated to a Fleet event, length isn't really the issue.  So as Commander Shepard would say, "why not both?"  However, we do other events beside beside Wargames. 

As FCapt Davis point out above, we all have lives outside of STO.  In my own case, real world issues will always take priority over my gaming, at least according to my wife.  Dinner with the in-laws v. kick-a-tribble, yep, guess who's going to dinner.  (However, in-laws like to eat and go to bed early, so Monday's turn out to be a win-win for me).  

Having the opportunity to sit at the adult table for awhile, the one thing I did learn that about Staff was the struggle to provide interesting events for Fleet members could do.   Have an idea for a Fleet event, great, staff would love to read about it.  Write it up and present to the Ops Boss.  Even better, take responsibility for it, i.e., be the Officer-in-Charge.  Talking about a idea you have on Vent is great to work out kinks, but having a hard copy of that idea for Fleet Admiral and Chief of Staff to read, well, that gets attention. 

++++

Which reminds me:  Operations Officer, Sir, can you pencil me in for leading Carrier Ops - "Into the Wind," on Wednesday, May 4th at 2030 (EST), DS9 Engineering.  (Notice: Name of event, date, time, meeting location, and OIC)  The rest of May I will be traveling, so May 4th is the only day I know I'm in town with computer access.   Thanks.

++++

Kick-a-Tribble has been a Monday night standard since the KDF was allowed into the game.   IMHO, probably the most successful event in our combined Fleet.  Why?  Several things come to mind, but I believe one word covers it best - "consistency."  It's like Monday Nite Football, Poker Night, or Guy's Night Out -- our families give us the "night off" so we can play with our friends.  "Happy wife means happy life" is a two-way street, and she knows it. 

If you look back at very old postings of the 7th Fleet events you will see several that were standards for several years.  TOS Tuesday's is an example.  This is just a very rough idea, but bare with me.  As you are aware, you can't swing a dead cat tribble around the Fleet Starbase without hitting an Admiral or Fleet Captain.   Therefore, I propose that on 1st and 3rd Tuesday's would be "Admiral's Night," and 2nd and 4th Tuesday's will be "Fleet Captain's Night."   Each night will have an Officer-in-Charge assigned, and do whatever events (space/ground/both) that OIC has in mind.    For instance, FADM Fortin might want his night out to be a TOS night, whereas FltCapt Davis might focus on ship/team/communications skill building.  This books Tuesday nights as a Federation night for planning purposes, both on STO and at home. 

What's the point of having all these senior officers around if we can't use their leadership abilities?  The troops want to be lead, Sirs.  

Qapla'

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

BigBob357

@Wupteedo

This is exactly why I said I wasn't a fan of adding another Friday to the event schedule. As for your suggestion about ADM/FCPT nights, why would we commit to adding and showing up for additional events when no one is showing up for the ones we are currently running. This isn't meant as a shot across the bow. I totally get that people have lives, have moved on to other games, etc. And it's not just about the War Games? That was just an example. I've only been in the fleet for 6 months or so, so I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here. But as when we decide on what events to run, and we to run them, all we have to really go on moving forward ia the amount of participation in recent events. Unfortunately, that points to Fridays being the only day where we get a relatively large group of players in-game and on vent for an event. 

Awarded:

In years past, Friday nights have always been the largest attendance nights. Usually people have plans Saturday night. I would support the addition of another Friday. 

Awarded:

Double Friday events are an excellent idea. Let's discuss in the staff meeting see you there!

Jump to: