View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

re: New Trek Series Inbound...

Looks like we have another Series inbound from CBS. I do like the pre trailer it shows promise. From the sound of the theme music it may be around circa TOS. Don't know for a fact though. Here is the link to web page...

Awarded:

I am excited about the new series, but also nerves on how it will be done. i just hope it is good. 

Awarded:

mbrwn2003 wrote:

I am excited about the new series, but also nerves on how it will be done. i just hope it is good. 

It really can't be any worse then Enterprise...

Awarded:

its been a long time....getting from here to there......but i see ARRGGGGHHHH ruined star trek franchise for a decade stupid enterprise

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

The trouble with Enterprise was........well, too many to mention, but it did have its moments.

Let us hope the new series will continue along this path.

Qapla'

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Christian M. Hanson wrote:
mbrwn2003 wrote:

Well, there was worse than "Enterprise" - it was called "Voyager."

EDIT: My personal rankings, from most to least favorite:

1) Deep Space Nine

2) Enterprise

3) The Next Generation

4) Original Series

5) Voyager

Awarded:

Capt pRett wrote:
Christian M. Hanson wrote:
mbrwn2003 wrote:

Well, there was worse than "Enterprise" - it was called "Voyager."

EDIT: My personal rankings, from most to least favorite:

1) Deep Space Nine

2) Enterprise

3) The Next Generation

4) Original Series

5) Voyager

whatttt....mine would go:

1)Deep Space Nine

2)TNG

3)Voyager

4)Enterprise

5)TOS - forced myself to watch all episodes

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

While traveling around Risa the last couple of weeks, I keep picking up chat window "rumors" about this series.  Of course these rumors all come for legitimate sources on the internet, so whom am I to judge.    However, one rumor seams to have more steam then most -- Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Castle) is the next Star Trek Captain.   Castle was canceled last season, so Mr. Fillion is free to pursue new acting endeavors.   A Browncoat Star Fleet Captain?  Could be an interesting twist.   Lest we forget:

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/fireflylyrics.html

Cheers

BigBob357

While it will probably have little impact on the hiring decision, both Stewart and Brooks had a very theater-esq approach to their characters. Aside for the TOS generation who . . . for some . . . reasons .... liked . . .  captain James . . Tiberius Kirk., I'd say Stew and Brooks are probably the two most well liked Star Trek TV series captains. If I were looking for a new lead I'd find someone that had that same quality.  

Frankly, I don't get all the hate directed at TOS. It was a product of it's time, but it was also ground breaking in it's stories. The mixed crew, and especially a black woman on the bridge, was a huge deal. Also, scifi stories were campy and not well told, Star Trek changed all of that.

It was intelligently written, it had action and tension, it dealt with real world issues and how Roddenberry thought that our future would look like. In short, it was hopeful and it was not lost on kids, like myself, who saw space as the last great frontier. A near infinite space with adventure, discovery, and wonders. I don't understand how you could look at all of that and just go..meh.

The harsh truth is this: without TOS there would be no other Star Trek shows. Science fiction would still be struggling to find it's voice, and we would be stuck with Captains named Steve. Like Star Wars, Star Trek has had it's campy moments.

But the new series is enticing. It entices precisely because of what TOS accomplished, and that is what made people dream about the stars. It was a challenge that demanded to be met. It did that by merely making us ask, "what is really out there?" That question has not changed, just as we have not changed.

Will Durant once remarked that if humanity changes, it is only with geologic time. The same problems that hobble us today, will also be problematic tomorrow. Of that, there can be no doubt. But it will not be the ordinary men and women who will venture out into the unknown. It will be our best and brightest. Our most gifted and adventurous. Our boldest and most creative. It will be those rare pioneers who will dare to find a destiny among the stars.

Ad astra per aspera is more than just a dream, it is a way of life. Without a challenge, man cannot excel. He needs the whetstone to sharpen his will and to better himself. And there is no greater whetstone than the undiscovered and unknown. That is some very rich territory for some incredible stories to fire the imagination of a new generation. A font of new dreams of exploration and adventure.

I'll climb down off of my soap box now. But I am excited. CBS has the opportunity to create something daring and ground breaking. If done right, this new series could re-awaken the human thirst for adventure just as TOS did fifty years ago. It is something that we desperately need and I am not speaking only in terms of entertainment.

Awarded:

Knightnblu wrote:

Frankly, I don't get all the hate directed at TOS. It was a product of it's time, but it was also ground breaking in it's stories. The mixed crew, and especially a black woman on the bridge, was a huge deal. Also, scifi stories were campy and not well told, Star Trek changed all of that.

It was intelligently written, it had action and tension, it dealt with real world issues and how Roddenberry thought that our future would look like. In short, it was hopeful and it was not lost on kids, like myself, who saw space as the last great frontier. A near infinite space with adventure, discovery, and wonders. I don't understand how you could look at all of that and just go..meh.

The harsh truth is this: without TOS there would be no other Star Trek shows. Science fiction would still be struggling to find it's voice, and we would be stuck with Captains named Steve. Like Star Wars, Star Trek has had it's campy moments.

But the new series is enticing. It entices precisely because of what TOS accomplished, and that is what made people dream about the stars. It was a challenge that demanded to be met. It did that by merely making us ask, "what is really out there?" That question has not changed, just as we have not changed.

Will Durant once remarked that if humanity changes, it is only with geologic time. The same problems that hobble us today, will also be problematic tomorrow. Of that, there can be no doubt. But it will not be the ordinary men and women who will venture out into the unknown. It will be our best and brightest. Our most gifted and adventurous. Our boldest and most creative. It will be those rare pioneers who will dare to find a destiny among the stars.

Ad astra per aspera is more than just a dream, it is a way of life. Without a challenge, man cannot excel. He needs the whetstone to sharpen his will and to better himself. And there is no greater whetstone than the undiscovered and unknown. That is some very rich territory for some incredible stories to fire the imagination of a new generation. A font of new dreams of exploration and adventure.

I'll climb down off of my soap box now. But I am excited. CBS has the opportunity to create something daring and ground breaking. If done right, this new series could re-awaken the human thirst for adventure just as TOS did fifty years ago. It is something that we desperately need and I am not speaking only in terms of entertainment.

Well said sir! Your dead on and I could of not said it any better...

Does the JJ-verse count as TOS? If so, then I love TOS.

BigBob357 wrote:

Agreed!  JJ-verse is so much better than the original crap.

Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

BigBob357 wrote:

No.   Alternate time-line.  Think of the JJ-verse as a "reboot" for the next generation of Trekkie's.  Like war, TOS will never change; it is what it is. 

On a more amusing side note:  My philosophy professor like using TOS episodes for lectures.  He considered them morality stories told though a different medium and "hidden" in science fiction framework.  Groundbreaking at the time they where made. 

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.dailymail.co.uk%2Fi%2Fpix%2F2013%2F07%2F04%2Farticle-2355854-1AA2D42C000005DC-404_634x678.jpg&f=1

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-0aMnsdoyFr0%2FURGREP5BRbI%2FAAAAAAAABuA%2F3GiAlIm-Alc%2Fs1600%2FBattlefield.jpeg&f=1

Qapla'

VADM Wulfric Richter CoS
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Wupteedo wrote:
BigBob357 wrote:

No.   Alternate time-line.  Think of the JJ-verse as a "reboot" for the next generation of Trekkie's.  Like war, TOS will never change; it is what it is. 

On a more amusing side note:  My philosophy professor like using TOS episodes for lectures.  He considered them morality stories told though a different medium and "hidden" in science fiction framework.  Groundbreaking at the time they where made. 

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.dailymail.co.uk%2Fi%2Fpix%2F2013%2F07%2F04%2Farticle-2355854-1AA2D42C000005DC-404_634x678.jpg&f=1

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-0aMnsdoyFr0%2FURGREP5BRbI%2FAAAAAAAABuA%2F3GiAlIm-Alc%2Fs1600%2FBattlefield.jpeg&f=1

Qapla'

Agreed. And JJ will never make a better story than the TOS episode, Balance of Terror. Indeed, even the Immunity Syndrome and Doomsday Machine episodes live on as the three best Trek episodes ever made IMHO. Looking back to the past and judging the 1960's show by today's standards is a mistake. Just as we shouldn't judge the Romans by our values, neither should we judge TOS the same way.

Rather we should consider the period, the culture, and the general state of the world before we judge it as inferior. When done from that perspective, you can truly appreciate the original series and just how awesome it really was.

In 1978, I sat in a darkened theater and watched Star Wars for the first time. It blew my socks off. Just as Star Trek did in 1966. That's because you couldn't help but realize that you were seeing something remarkable. Perhaps you had to have been there, but I think that judging TOS as inferior to the current products is a mistake. Consider this, had TOS never aired you wouldn't have anything and JJ Abrams would have to reboot Starlost or something.

And here's some more news, Netflix has picked up the rights to re-boot Lost in Space! I wonder who will re-boot Land of The Giants? Or the UFO TV series? Or Quark? So how many of you even remember half of these shows?

Jump to: