View previous topic :: View next topic  
VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Fleet Uniform - Real Life version

I know that this has been a while in the making, but here are the fabrics involved:

http://www.joann.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-JoAnn-Site/default/Wishlist-ShowOther?WishListID=9351060c0379f8b83f0cb15c69

All of the fabrics were purchased at JoAnn's Fabrics.  I will post a spreadsheet with the amounts you will need to purchase.

I have to draw up the inside liner and a couple more pieces of the collar/shoulder area, and the template will be done.  Then I'll cut it out and will be able to trace out as many as needed.  I haven't figured out the postage, but I don't think it will bee too much.  I should have the template done by Sunday 7/24/16.

Here's a link to the pants I used, since you need to cut a triangle out of the bottom hem in the front on both legs:

http://www.opentip.com/product_info.php?products_id=4533183

And here are the boots:

https://www.amazon.com/Funtasma-Pleaser-Halloween-Captain-100-Brown/dp/B001AH60D8/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469221445&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=Futurama+Jedi+boots

They come in brown or black.  Black is the color for our uniform. These were designed to have pants tucked into them - with a wide top.  I used Velcro straps to get them under the pants leg, but that didn't work out well.  This year I'm going to cut a slit in the opposite side from the zipper in the top, use some rubber cement to keep the lining in tact, and cut out a section just large enough to allow me to side pants over them and have them look nice.  I have some leather working thread.  The difficult part will be keeping the lining stable - hence the rubber cement.  I'll take some before and after shots.

Also this weekend, I'm going to post some detailed shots of the uniform.

Let me know if you are interested and have someone that can sew.  All patterns will be drawn to my size, which is a L to XL.  I will leave plenty of room around each piece for resizing measurements, and I will make some notes to what I see, and the questions I had asked my sister-in-law as to how she put it together.

Remember, she took a DS-9 uniform pattern, cut it up, tore it apart and reassembled it based on some hi-res images I took from my toon in-game.

JT

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Dr. Collin McGee
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

Thank you, sir! Can you post a picture?

"No Horizon, Too Distant"
VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry

Awarded:

I have uploaded about 65 images of the Odyssey Uniform Jacket to Mediafire, here's the link:

Fleet Odyssey Uniform

They detail every aspect of the jacket.  Hopefully, the images speak for themselves as to how they were put together.  I know my sister-in-law, Peggy, did a lot of light ironing work to get some of the folds for the stitches to stay before running them through the sewing machine.

I have 2 more template pieces to draw and cut out for the inside liner.  Many of the pieces I marked as (x2) meaning to cut the original and flip the pattern over to cut a piece for the opposite side of the body.  I think I will state it like "Zipper Front panel Right side Red"  and in parenthesis put (turn over and cut for Left side piece).  Most all of the pieces have the opposing side with the exception of a few pieces along the center back of the design and I will mark those with:  (No Opposite).  ALL OF THE PIECES ARE DRAWN TO MY SIZE - Peggy tailored the whole thing to my measurements.  I wear a Large to an X-Large in general US sizing.

I am going to trace out the first pattern this weekend.  I will take images of that as well.  I plan on leaving plenty of space for resizing.  I drew this with an added half an inch around each piece as a guess, to add the extra amount needed between the hem line and the cut line.  Sapel, I know your wife is a seamstress.  If she is interested in helping me with sizing for other sizes, that would be great, but if not my size is what you will get, and the tailor or seamstress will need to re-adjust for your measurements.  Paying someone to do this could be expensive.

This is advanced sewing with a lot of math involved in the sizing.  To make it look right will require resizing many pieces, if not all of them.  

Please consider this when asking for the pattern.  Then let me know if you are interested and I will draw one up.  I may at a later time try to learn what is necessary to make all the sizes from Small to 5XL.  But that will take a bit of time and maybe a private lesson at Joann Fabrics.

JT

VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry

Awarded:

Here's a link to my original sketches and notes, and other images of the pattern:

Fleet Unifom Pattern

Here's the finished pattern - a 12 x 5 foot sheet of pattern grade tissue paper.  I boxed this one up and sent it to Sapel.  Even with the stencil set I made, it takes about two and a half to 3 hours to draw.  I left plenty of space around each piece to remark the pattern for larger sizes.

JT

Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

FCPT JT Kerry wrote:

Here's a link to my original sketches and notes, and other images of the pattern:

Fleet Unifom Pattern

Here's the finished pattern - a 12 x 5 foot sheet of pattern grade tissue paper.  I boxed this one up and sent it to Sapel.  Even with the stencil set I made, it takes about two and a half to 3 hours to draw.  I left plenty of space around each piece to remark the pattern for larger sizes.

JT

its a murder scene outline where the killer hacked off the body parts :P

Awarded:

Received - consulting people!

Awarded:

Anton Mercer wrote:
FCPT JT Kerry wrote:

Fleet Unifom Pattern

JT

its a murder scene outline where the killer hacked off the body parts :P

And, then gave instructions on how to sew it all back together...

VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry

Awarded:

Rank Pips:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231743986161?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

My edit on the Boots:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/w54uct0010m4w/Boots 

CAPT Moroski

What about using magnets for the rank pips?

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B4201

Kjmagnetics has a bunch of different sized magnets. I use them for comn badages, but I don't see why they can't be also used for rank pips.  

Jump to: