View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBob357

re: U.S.S .Discovery NCC-1031

So the new ship for the new ST series is the USS Discovery and it's . . . you know what? Fuck it. That thing is mind-bogglingly hideous. Apparently the lazy as creative team behind this monstrosity slapped a Fed saucer on Klink rear end and called it a night. I mean for fuck's sake, they didn't even try. If this is any indication of the quality of storylines we're gonna get then we're in for a real let down. I'm not even going to post a link. If you really want to see this thing, then look it up. But I personally don't think we should sully this great website with images of that abomination. If anyone finds a a petition to have this ship design scrapped let me know.

Ok I looked it up and WTF. It really is a fed saucer on a klingon battleship. Not only that but their laziness somehow managed to make it look uglier then either of the two looked on their own. So it doesn't do either the klingons or the federation any justice.

Z. Barrett
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

Actually, the Discovery uses a rejected concept design for the aborted Star Trek Phase II series in the late 1970's before the idea of the motion picture took off. Look at Ralph McQuarrie design and compare it to the Discovery...same ship...and just as ugly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Enterprise#/media/File:Phase_II_Enterprise.jpg

Awarded:

the Star Trek: Phase II Enterprise

the Star Trek: Discovery starship

there is a reason why the original was rejected... its a mess. LOL

"No Horizon, Too Distant"
Valeʼncynos
Engineering - Captain

I can probably see the reasoning,  experimenting with cloaking technology?  Who knows, but I would fly it, looks better than the Enterprise J

At least it looks better than the Excelsior. Got to hand it to the Feds, they can make some ugly ships. I mean, take the Enterprise-J. That thing looks like a cockroach that was run over by a steamroller.

Apparently, aesthetics dies horribly in the future.

Knightnblu wrote:

At least it looks better than the Excelsior. Got to hand it to the Feds, they can make some ugly ships. I mean, take the Enterprise-J. That thing looks like a cockroach that was run over by a steamroller.

The Excelsior (and the Enterprise-B) is a beautiful ship. The Enterprise-J, if that is what we can call it, is poorly rendered, and made by Cryptic (key point).   

Awarded:

wow, just wow. i bet the theme song to enterprise (its been a long while..) is playing in it's turbolift. 

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
Christian M. Hanson
Tactical - Rear Admiral

Awarded:

I don't hate it.. If it's TOS era-ish then the concept makes sense for the time. 

Awarded:

Christian M. Hanson wrote:

I don't hate it.. If it's TOS era-ish then the concept makes sense for the time. 

Shut up you.. you arn't here for a month remember? 

Awarded:

BigBob357 wrote:
Knightnblu wrote:

The Excelsior (and the Enterprise-B) is a beautiful ship. The Enterprise-J, if that is what we can call it, is poorly rendered, and made by Cryptic (key point).   

The Enterprise J is not a Cryptic design.  

The Star Trek "universe" is full of strange and interesting stories about the actual production.  This is one of my favorites:

http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/designing-the-reliant/

Captain Lang's "Flagship" is a Miranda. 

A wise space skipper once said:  "Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her a home." - Captain Mal Reynolds, Serenity

Qa'pla

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

BigBob357

sparrow794 wrote:
BigBob357 wrote:
Knightnblu wrote:

The Enterprise J is not a Cryptic design.  

No, it is not. that was poor wording on my part. I just meant that the way it is render, where it looks like a cockroach that go ran over by a steamroller, is on Cryptic. In the Queue Battle of Procyon 5, it looks like they stretched a 2D image of the saucer in Microsoft Paint. 

Jump to: