View previous topic :: View next topic  
VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: An Apology for the State of Our Website

To All The Members of the 7th Fleet:

...And, most especially to FADM Fortin and VADM Shackelford,

I owe you all an apology for the current state of our website.  To be blunt, I f'ed it up.  I saw something that needed to be done, and did it.  The right and left columns looked off to me, and I balanced out their size and then edited the widgets in them to fit.  I thought I had done this correctly, but, apparently, I had not.  I had seen other problems that I could not correct and was going to address them with Mr. Shackelford, namely the title bars for the widgets - the bar lengths and color lengths were off before I did my edit, and they still did not match.  

Before I could contact Mr. Shackelford about it and state what I did, he saw multiple problems and reset the website to a default configuration.  So, the current shell, what you are seeing, is do to my own actions.  And, I feel I owe everyone an apology for what you are looking at.  Mostly, I feel I owe you an apology, Mr. Shackelford, Fred.

What some of you may not know is 85-90% of the visuals we all see are do in large part to the tireless efforts of one man, Mr. Shackelford.  He has maintained the website and most of the graphics from sometime early in the first year of the game all the way up to September of last year as Chief of Communications, where his personal workload in real life was too much to do both.  He also was Chief of Staff 3 to 4 times, most of which he did while still holding the title of Communications.

Recently, I helped him out by doing the calendar graphic, issuing ribbons and modifying namebars, but I wasn't doing all the things he did.  I was just barely maintaining the edges.  I am no Shack, which is now more apparent than ever.  

So, by my inaction, and Shack's reaction, I caused him to erase tons of hours of configuration work that it took to make the design of the website look as wonderful as it did.  Shit, I can't stop kicking myself in the ass on this one.

I'll understand whatever action is to be taken, and I am truly sorry for f'ing up our website.

Sincerely,

JT

Last edited by VADM JT Kerry on 03/09/17 19:02; edited 1 time in total
Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Bro, relax.  The site looks fine right now.  There is no permanent damage done.  The pieces are all still here and it can be put back the way it was with just a little bit of time.  

You and Moroski are doing your jobs.  It's both of your responsibilities to take over maintaining the site now that I'm not focusing on it anymore.  You can't do that without tinkering around with the parts.  It's really ok.  The site doesn't have to be the way it was, and maybe it's time for a change anyway.

Let's be clear, I am the one who reverted it to the default.  I could have reversed the minor things, but I didn't.  I reverted the site to a default STO template precisely to give you and Moroski and the Fleet the opportunity to have the discussion about changing some things if you want.  These are your chairs now.  Make the site yours as well.  I am happy to help, but this is your guy's dog and pony show now.

Awarded:

No apologies needed sir. It's all good...

Jump to: