View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

re: Good Reads

SeveNeves by Neal Stephenson

I have been SciFy reader ever since my Grandfather gave me the complete set of "Tom Swift" books when I was about 10 years ago; you know, ancient times, when books where on paper. 

I did not read this book. I listened to it on CD audio disc (25) on my trips between Florida and North Carolina.  The last few CD's I listened to driving around my home in Florida; cause it is one of those books you can't put down toward the end.  Neal Stephenson as a writer reminds me of Stephen King (The Stand); James Michener (Space, Texas, Tales from the South Pacific); James Clavell (Shogun, Noble House);  Frank Herbert & Son (Dune series).  This book is a epic tale divided between three periods in time (Cloud Atlas). 

http://www.nealstephenson.com/seveneves.html

There is a lot of detail in this books, especially about living in space.  However, written in such a way, even the average Joe (non-STO player) can understand orbital mechanics.  

Five Stars

####

Still waiting for a second book written by a Fleet Mate to show up. 

Qa'pla

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

VADM Wulfric Richter CoS
Tactical - Vice Admiral

I have been a Sci Fi reader for a long time as well. I highly recommend the Chtorr War by David Gerald. If you like fantasy as well, I do, then I also recommend the Belgariad I and II by David Eddings.

Awarded:

I'd recommend Jerry Pournelles 'The Prince' as well as 'War World'. Also David Drakes 'The Complete Hammers Slammers, Volumes 1-3' Excellent reads,and Pournelle seems to be alittle prophetic in some of his writing

The thunder from down under
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Babylon Five, fan fiction, but very good fan fiction.  I read this over a year, when I had the time.  It is about the size of "War & Peace" (another on the "to-read" list).  Read the main page of the website for details.

http://www.b5-dark-mirror.co.uk/

I still go back from time-to-time and read a chapter or two. 

Qa'pla

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: