View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Valeʼncynos
Engineering - Captain

re: Discovery

So there is a trailer for Discovery, for those interested.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

Awarded:

It looks good, but it also looks like it is a prequel to the reboot. 

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

Star Wars it is...

Awarded:

If those [CENSORED] at CBS weren't putting it behind a paywall, I would gladly give it a shot.

Personally DS9 will always be my Trek series and nothing will replace it, but from the trailer alone, I might be willing to pay to watch this.

Awarded:

well, its not like you cant find any tv show for download or streaming all over the place .. heh

p.s. i will send you a personal drop box link when it comes out if u dont like doing those things

Captain Nimmoth, USS Mandragoran, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP
Captain Moonlight
Tactical - Captain

From the look of the trailer the space scenes are a shameless rip-off of the very nice work done by the Axanar team.

I thought this would be the case.

Gene Roddenberry made Star Trek. Rick Berman Built upon it and expanded it. Now, it belongs to those without brains or passion and they wish to exploit the fans because to them, it's a cash cow that they can squeeze a few more bucks out of before they ruin it. It will have weak makeup effects, plot holes, dark and flimsy sets and probably little in the way of depth. going back to the prequel stage they don't have to consult the geeks who advised on TNG and onward (Heisenberg compensators, Holodecks, PADDs, Com Badges, Replicators, Tricorders, Talking Computers, Touch Screens, Bio-gel relays... and the plethora of other things we saw and wanted!!!) 

Its as if imagination has stopped and they can't top the Enterprise D/E. As if there is no 'future' to the franchise.

Interstellar... thats where the prequel needs to be. Use the science!!! Bring in the hired geeks and use some bloody imagination with what they are saying.

Enterprise (the series) took all the magic out of it.

Rant over.

Rants, we love stink'n rants on STO!

Lest we forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yijcWsLda8

What Enterprise should of been:  (WARNINGSnowFlakes may melt or wet their pants if they view this!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbsZRbwbJ4

Qa'pla

Improvise    Adapt    Overcome

Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I just cannot get behind this.  The paywall kills it for me, and quite honestly - with the exception of having what appear to be two female leads and an African-American ship's captain, there appears on the surface to be relatively little else about this that seems very 'trek' to me.  While there is no story without conflict, Star Trek shines best when it attempts to resolve the story-line conflicts it presents through means other than violence.  

To me, this looks like an extended action movie.  Lots of lens flare and gut-wrenching CGI; fast-paced scenes where the inclusion of ideas like diplomacy is boring.  There's nothing wrong with that, I suppose.  I do like those kinds of movies.  But I am certainly not going to pay a fee to a company that already owns a quite viable media delivery enterprise just to see if I am wrong.  And I do admit that I could be wrong - but not paying to find out.  One of you other suckers can let me know.

First Thoughts on "Discovery!"

Opening theme:  1) No Vocals, just music = 3 points; 2) Updated Leonardo Da Vinci Drawings

Klingons:  1) WTF, another genetic mutation or another time-line completely?  2) Timeline seems to be out-of-sync with cannon, i.e., it was the Romulans who disappeared for over 100 years

Ship's Interior:  1) Wow, nice work on the bridge and ship interior, 2) nice job on the CGI; looks like they spent some money

Captain Philippa Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh) died a glorious death.  We should all be so lucky! 

It's not my Star Trek, and certainly isn't the next generation, but as long as I can watch for free, why not.  (Don't ask, I don't know how my son does it)

This made me laugh, however, once again -- Warning, not approved for 7th Fleet Snowflakes; it will offend you

Qa'pla

VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I am really not willing to pay for this. It is the Klingon/Fed Four Years War - and CBS' slap in the face to Axanar, Inc.

I'l get back and list the problems with Canon that CBS is causing.  I don't want to pay for another Star Trek timeline, is top of the list.

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Baldwin Praji
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

1. The Klingons look awful.

2.  The Klingon ships look awful.

3.  The acting was horrible and half the people are hard to understand.

4.  The story was terrible.

5.  No Starfleet officer would act the way these officers did.  Arguing, mutiny, etc.

Some of the visuals were nice.....

VADM Kerry wrote: 

"I am really not willing to pay for this. It is the Klingon/Fed Four Years War - and CBS' slap in the face to Axanar, Inc."

Oh crap, those creepy little tribbles over at CBS has a lot of explaining to do or did they just piss off the fan base because of Axanar? 

Next to most politicians, there is no human life form lower than well, my list is long, but I will double-down on Television/Movie Executives. 

The good ole' days of Star Trek:

Qa'pla

Deven Scott
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

STAR TREK

DISCOVERY ...

NOT SO MUCH

*SPOILERS*

Welcome everyone to Scotts 2 cents there will be spoilers incoming you have been warned.

I love love Star Trek and with this new show I had hoped to see a rebirth a new take on trek pushing Gene Roddenberry's ideas to the edge... not break them, not just do what ever you like and allow another form of media to pander to the PC crowed. We as Star Trek fans have been wondering the desert looking for water or an oasis and we found some poor watering holes and at times some down right poison . We have been blessed by some great fan productions, I enjoyed the 2009 reboot but not the rest of the movies and Axanar was great till you noticed that water was tainted .

So lets look at Discovery what are its pros.

Pros:

1. Its a Sci-Fi show

2. Has elements of Star Trek

3. Some new ships , some looked really good.

4. Trying to fill the gap between Enterprise and TOS

5. Visuals and environment and ambiance

Point one:

Yes its a Sci-Fi show very well produced good visuals nice CGI ok acting, I have to say Michelle Yeoh’s Philippa Georgiou was on point I like her, even Sonequa Martin-Green was well acted. The playful nature or bantering between Capt and first officer was welcomed and her interaction with other cast members was interesting also.

Point two:

There are phasers, starships , space battles and strange new worlds. All of which I thought was well done cept for the klingon ships and the klingons

Point three:

I really enjoyed the look of some of the new fed ships some are new fresh designs others just had a refit.

Point four:

Its great that they are trying to fill the gaps in between Enterprise and TOS lot of potential if done correctly and respectful to cannon and time lines. They did it right they could have a hit show.

Pont five:

Visuals, I loved the desert planet , the visuals on the inside of the bridge and ship . Space in general looked as it should vast and foreboding and gorges.

Cons:

1. Huge timeline issues with current continuity

2. Spock has a adopted sister? WTF

3. Klingon's just don't, they look like space turd vampires

4. Ships on the klingon side look like space getto vampires

5. The tech in this time line or reboot or what ever it is is to advanced way to advanced.

Point one:

So the klingons have been gone over 100 yrs.. thats not correct, and this is ten years before Kirk and Spock but yet no mention of it.

Also point five can tie in here as well, some of the tech does not match the medical tech is way more advanced , then bridge was all slicked up and very high tech, missing out on a lot of the analog stuff from TOS. Thank God they kept the phaser and communicator the same or close.

Point two:

Now Spock has an adopted sister. Don't think so this is all wrong. Why didn't they just make it an unknown vulcan that picked her up instead of Sarak . There was no need to do this at all they could have come up with a new vulcan which explained everything to her upbringing to Sonequa Martin-Green's character's interaction with others. Now there is the mess that you have to explain why Spock or Sarak never mentions her, have fun explaining that.

Point three:

The klingons look like a new race of space vampire turds their ships not so great, someone was hoping that not all klingons would look the same and we would see the more human and ridge heads with hair represented but no in the scene where the head klingon was speaking to the council they all pretty much looked the same .

Point four:

No D-7, no birds no birds of prey no D-6. This was a missed opportunity. I am sure if this is before the four years war then there would be no D-7 but I assume this leads up to it.

Point five:

Again this is about tech that is way to advanced to be in this time line, a medbay bed that rebuilds DNA from deadly radiation exposure. I get it fed ships can do a lot and have a lot of capabilities and yes science and has advanced a long way but this is pushing into TNG tech and beyond. There even some issues that Dr. Mc Coy could not heal the tech was just not there.

So as we wonder this desert looking for the water on this trek, we seem to find very little or dried up oasis. Its tempting to drink from an oasis but the question is are we drinking water or sand and are we drinking it because were just tired of it all or we just don't know better.

I will not be paying for it, but will watch to see how it unfolds I got other shows that have my interest for now, The expanse for one and some CW shows.

Resist when surrounded, Fight when you have to, And obey orders explicitly when in danger.

The Art of Warfare SUN-TZU
Wupteedo
Science - Fleet Captain

Well put, Captain Scott, you made my day.

Based on Captain Scott's post above, I hereby nominate him to receive the Most Inspirational Forum Post  medal.  

I need two others to second this nomination. 

Qa'pla

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> The Quarterdeck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: