View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jack Gunn

re: Signaling and on-scene command

I noticed a signaling and on scene command document was released. I'm not sure why, as it really didn't explain things very well. I am not bashing on the author, but I spent half my life in real world naval signaling and on scene command situations.

I would like to start by saying that my health will in no way allow me to hand craft a system for the fleet to use (despite the fact I really really want to). However what I CAN do, is simply offer my years of experience in the form of primers to help everyone, including those writing these signals to help them understand how and why they are used the way they are in the real world. Please bear with me, as I go through a lot of these concepts. If nothing else, these ideas will help those who have never heard them before start to understand the cadence behind calls and how quickly you really can communicate a lot of information with very little sound.

I will add more her as time permits me, thanks for listening!

Well Sir it is a Basic Vent Communicaton Tool to help us get under way. We have to start somewhere and we're trying to keep to the Kiss method. That's also why its a guideline. please feel to contact me with any ideas on how we can make it better and still keep it simple for those of us who have no miltary experince.

Exactly the idea, Sir! I don't have the energy to hand out specific 'do this don't do that, lets adjust it' information. I would love to collaborate with you and could drop more material in your lap in a day than you could catch up on in a month. That's why I felt it would be better for me to just simply talk about how and why the real navy uses communications and the fleet as a whole can think it over and decided what will work for the fleet and what wont. To that end, I just wanted to take this space and write about some of my vast personal experience with naval communications and provide some perspective on the subject that most people will never have or be able to get.

Salute!!!...... to Mr Gunn

Your Efforts to improve the game experience is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully

Sam Belome
SATC Krahe

Navy signals?! Bah I say! What we need is some experience from the Army Signal Corps!

In all seriousness, I would be delighted and interested in hearing (reading) what Gunn has to share.
Jack Gunn

Ok, transfusion is going well. I feel ok to type some more.

As I go along, I will try to correlate ST (star trek) and RL (real life) situations so they make a more homogeneous point.

I spent 4 years working in a combat information center aboard a US Naval amphibious warship USS Ogden from 1991-1995. One of my many duties once I got on board was learning to operate radios and what is called 'radio discipline'. RD is simply the proper way to speak to another vessel through radio. Sounds simple, but takes a while to master.

Lets talk about radio traffic, IE, in star trek called 'hailing' or 'communicating' neither term is ever used in RL. Apparently in Star Trek, the entire universe is on one channel!.

One of the things that has bothered me most about how they use radio in ST is that they always call each ship by name. Not only is calling another ship by name a waste of time, its actually a violation of communications security and can be punishable.

In RL, all vessels are referred to by a rotating classified call sign consisting of a three letter alphanumeric call sign. IE, USS Ogden is not USS Ogden, its XA6 (Pronounced Xray-Alpha-six).

Anyway the point about not using names is simple. If I am a cloaked bird of prey sitting around waiting for a target, and all I hear in chat is 'XA6 this is G4R, please assist" "XA6, acknowledged" what have I learned? I have learned that there is a vessel coming to assist another vessel. That's it. now let do it again:

"USS Enterprise this is USS Pathetic, please assist!" "USS Enterprise, Acknowledged"

Now how many ears perked up on the bridge of that BOP? how many are now getting ready for action, looking forward to the glorious battle with the federation flagship? What else have a learned? I learned the names of two of the enemy ships that are operating in the area. I didn't have to see them, didn't have to even look for em, they just came out and told me they were here.

Ship names are only use on secure private channels, and even then usually nicknames are used.

The other couple of main reason for not using ship names is brevity and clarity "USS OLEWACKERMONGER" is about 5 seconds of airtime, X6A is about 1

Just a quick footnote, those codes change often and random so you cant tell if you have two or a hundred ships operating in an area just by listening and tracking call signs.

I can't get into too much of the classified stuff (obviously) but there are bullet proof protections against someone listening in and trying to act like they are XA6 for example.

Every ship also has a NATO Codename, a battlegroup codename, an action group designation and a IFF MODE IV codename which is impenetrable.

Lt Gunn, thank you for noticing the post on the Vent SOG.

We placed it on the front page top center under news read this!

We had hoped that our officers would add their positive comments and suggestions in that thread instead of creating a new thread and blasting a superior officer about an operation that is above your pay grade. This is a waste of fleet resources, it causes more work for the Fleet thread moderators, such as myself, chasing down loose threads.

Nothing grinds my gears more than to read a post about what someone is gonna post later. If thats the case, post it now or stow it sir.

We have been practicing this Task Force Vent SOG live on vent for about a month now, and it works, for those in the know, it makes sense, and is good to get a visual of what we have been doing.
.....and this is the first written document someone
has actually produced, not talked about producing, not thought about producing, but actually produced, so piss off all you slackers and wanna be's, this fleet is getting ready for war.

Produce it, add to it, contribute, or shut up.
Jack Gunn

Deputy Commander Turner wrote:
Lt Gunn, thank you for noticing the post on the Vent SOG.

We placed it on the front page top center under news read this!

We had hoped that our officers would add their positive comments and suggestions in that thread instead of creating a new thread and blasting a superior officer about an operation that is above your pay grade. This is a waste of fleet resources, it causes more work for the Fleet thread moderators, such as myself, chasing down loose threads.

Nothing grinds my gears more than to read a post about what someone is gonna post later. If thats the case, post it now or stow it sir.

We have been practicing this Task Force Vent SOG live on vent for about a month now, and it works, for those in the know, it makes sense, and is good to get a visual of what we have been doing.
.....and this is the first written document someone
has actually produced, not talked about producing, not thought about producing, but actually produced, so piss off all you slackers and wanna be's, this fleet is getting ready for war.

Produce it, add to it, contribute, or shut up.

My severe and humble apologies Sir, I believe I did not make my intention or method clear. I simply wanted to help the fleet work on this project in the only way I am able at the moment. I fully intended to start posting in the original post, but I was literally interrupted by the blood coming up for my transfusion. Keeping in mind I am operating out of a hospital bed these days fighting for my life, I felt the best course of action would to be receive my blood transfusion and then come back to the signaling thing. It was not my intention to upset or goad or provoke in any way, and I understand your frustrations having been in similar situations many time.

I hope we can less this particular moment pass us, I hope this is just a misunderstanding on both our parts.

pardon me Mr Gunn, I do most honestly want to believe your situation is indeed what you say it is, on behalf of the 7th fleet, could you post a picture of yourself in the next 10 minutes or so at your computer with the 7th fleet website up.
Deputy Commander Turner

yes? no?
Deputy Commander Turner

Calling Ben
Deputy Commander Turner

Ben, Please report to the Bridge.
Deputy Commander Turner

re: Ben Axed 2409 0104 0814

Ben Axed 2409 0104 0814
Christian M. Hanson
Tactical - Rear Admiral

Awarded:

locked.

unlocked
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Suggestions Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: