View previous topic :: View next topic  
J. St. Peter

re: Separate RP Fleet Channel

This is an idea Deven Scott and myself were throwing around last night. It seems that there are definitely two camps in this group, and it's a good thing, don't get me wrong. We have a very large population of people who are very light RPers, who would probably be more apt to RP on the forums than to do it in-game. And we have a few people who are casual to heavy RPers who have been in character in-game since the servers went live.

One channel to talk on is not very conducive to this. I'm a casual RPer myself, and I can appreciate the need for OOC information that can't be passed IC.

So, I have a suggestion or two, that I would like to give people a craniums-up on before I just go running around doing stuff.

First idea:
Keep the in-game Fleet chat to only IC chat (except when OOC is required) and have the Ventrilo chat be OOC (since it is a much more efficient tool for passing OOC info quickly to people, especially in a combat situation)

Second idea:
Keep the in-game Fleet chat to OOC, and establish a second channel dedicated to in-game RP (a full on IC channel). Ventrilo is unaffected (but is still used...it's a great tool).

Scott and myself have already established a channel that is currently open for anyone to join called "Fleet7," and we're currently just testing it out to see if it would work well. Please, feel free to join the channel and play around with us. And if you flat out want an invite, let me know and I'll shoot one your way!

Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I think it's a great idea, I know we have folks who would want to be in character while in game. Though, I would have to vote for the second choice I think, because I know we also sometimes have folks who can't get on vent for whatever reason and the only way they can communicate with the fleet is through the fleet channel, so I wouldn't want to see fleet chat become RP only. Folks who can't be on vent shouldn't necessarily be forced to RP to communicate with fleetmates if they don't want to.

But for those of you who like to stay in character, I think a seperate fleet channel is a great thing; and if you've already snatched up a channel for it then we just gotta spread the word to the players who would be interested in it.

I've personally never been in a heavy RP guild, but to be honest it's one of the things that drew me to this fleet. I may start in with some of the RP stuff, though I will likely restrict myself to doing it on the forums. Being RP in game is something that doesn't feel natural to me - at least not yet.

Awarded:

I have to say I have enjoyed the Fleet7 CH its a great outlet to RP, and I feel the second choice is the way to go. Here is why, the main fleet CH should remane open its for notices, announcements and orders.
Besides with the RP CH we can tie in the fleet channle and monitor chat that way we don't miss notices. This also keeps folks from feeling they have to RP while in game. I also feel that team chat should be kept to light RP to no RP kinda thing. This is just my humble opinion, I would also like to thank Commander Jessica St. Peters for implament this idea.

Resist when surrounded, Fight when you have to, And obey orders explicitly when in danger.

The Art of Warfare SUN-TZU
Mal'Draven

all for a seperate rp channel, as said befor it leaves the fleet channel oopen for fleet buisness

A quick bump to remind people of the Fleet7 dedicated RP chat channel, as well to say:

There is a GLOBAL chat channel for any and all RPers to join that is called, simply enough, "Roleplayers".

The players in there are incredible; ran a couple missions with a full team. Very mature, very immersed into their characters. It was beautiful. It's an open channel, so feel free to hop on board!

Another neat tool for RPers (and non-RPers even, if you have a story to share about your character or ship) is STOGeek, a wiki that was created for all the characters, ships, races, and fleets of STO. I've already got the Rafale up, and I'm working on Jessica's as well. Give it a gander, and even post up a little bit about your people too! I'm gonna try to get with fleet leadership to get a quick history/write-up for a fleet page over there, too!

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

Many apologies, I will get this done before the weekend... I will setup the RP channel for you...

FA Fortin

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin wrote:
Many apologies, I will get this done before the weekend... I will setup the RP channel for you...

FA Fortin

Sir, it's already set up, . I'll shoot you an invite next time I see you.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> RP Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: