View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Crisler

re: For Grins and Giggles

Not sure how many of you use a cooroperative computing client foir projects such as folding at home. Over the years I used my system a lot with the SETI@Home project but recently the SETI@Home project was taken down, I have since moved over to the project Milkyway@home.

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/

The software is easy to install and setup and runs as a screen saver to use your computers idle time.

I have set up a team; STO 7th Fleet if any of you would be interested in joining me. If we get enough interest I might see about putting together some contests around this project for our fleet members.
William Anders

Downloading right now!

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Mal'Draven

actually SETI @ home is fully functioning again , I have it in my comp right now. Seems there was some damage to the dish in PR but it has all but been repaired.

Just tried to attached SETI and still says it is down..
Crisler

Got this running and I might have to stop. I keep getting errors in getting material to work on. Kind of frustrating. Was working great at first and then suddenly started having issues.
William Anders

Got this running and I might have to stop. I keep getting errors in getting material to work on. Kind of frustrating. Was working great at first and then suddenly started having issues.

Yeah I've been having the same problem every once in a while too. I just let it keep going and it'll eventually correct itself.

Crisler

Understood, these beasts are churning out the points and hate seeing it stall :-)
William Anders

Haha ohhh yeah!

Crisler

Dispite only two of us currently on the team we have climbed almost 30K places to within the top 60K teams. However we need more computing power to continue our rapid climb. Come on folks join in..
Nova Spellwig

re: up

iam up and running and on the team tongue out

Welcome aboard to our new members. We have as of today climbed into the top 50K of teams. From yersterday we climbed almost 45090 spots. Keep chruning it out boys...
Captain Talbot
Tactical - Captain

Awarded:

Forum Image

Okay, I'm confused on what this is and/or does.

Crisler

Basically this is a screen saver. What it does is use the down time of your computer to do computations ofr a project that needa a lot of computing power to complete.

In the case of Milkyway@Home the idea is that Milkyway@Home is generating highly accurate three dimensional models of the Sagittarius stream, which provides knowledge about how the Milky Way galaxy was formed and how tidal tails are created when galaxies merge.

The data being used has been amassed over YEARS and from literally thousands of sources. So the material must be corrolated and then merged with other data over multiple points of corss refrencing. This would take a very long time even with the fastest computer on the planet. However gby breaking the problem down into it's small components and letting home PCs do the computations during their down time they are able to drastically reduce the amount of time needed.

BY bringing together the off cycles of millions of home PCs to the same project, you essentially create a super computer. Imagine if you will the computational power of say 1 Million Pentium IV CPUs. Now think of it when you realize that every type of CPU and many video cards are in use for this project.

The resulting raw computational power is staggering.
Crisler

SETI@Home has now come back active and I suggest attaching it to your BOINC client as well. I will have a SETI team formed this weekend.
William Anders

w00t!

Got it up and running too.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Suggestions Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: