View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

re: Demo Record Tutorial

Forum Image

OK FIXED IT!!

There ya go. I will be having the make up class this Thursday for those who want to or missed the first one if I'm able Happy

Last edited by Anton Mercer on 10/20/10 1:16; edited 2 times in total

Awarded:

video unavailable...

Awarded:

oh shoot it just had to be too long ill have to split it when i get home ... *sigh* sorry guys

Awarded:

Bump cause i fixed it and split the movie up second part will be up shortly

Awarded:

Forum Image

Outstanding job sir!!

Nova Spellwig

re: where

hey where do you go to get this program mr Mercer

Awarded:

re: Re: where

Forum Image

Nova Spellwig wrote:
hey where do you go to get this program mr Mercer

I'm not Mr. Mercer, but the program is built into STO.

Click on this link to get the basics on how to use it.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=134131

Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Thanks for posting this Mr. Mercer. I have had time to watch the first one so far; and I didn't know you could use the keyboard WSAD to move the camera like that... go figure.

Awarded:

yeah and i also figured out that most of the time the way you move the camera indicates how it moves on the path so if u want to orbit something u HAVE to use the wasd keys... only sometimes though its a little crewy like that

Awarded:

ive found out a few more things about the camera points and stuff but unfortunately my mic isnt working and ill have to get a new one soon so hopefully ill be able to share it

Awarded:

Forum Image

Can't wait to see sir, have been saving some footage to play around with.

Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Anton Mercer wrote:
ive found out a few more things about the camera points and stuff but unfortunately my mic isnt working and ill have to get a new one soon so hopefully ill be able to share it

I figured out how to 'export' from demorecord. It's a - command up in the options right before you login. I'll post it later; I'm at work atm.

What it does is takes a screenshot for every single frame. Exporting this way can take a while. I had a 2 1/2 minute scene that exported out to about 4500 or so .jpg's.

From there, you can take that and run it through a program like VirtualDub (what I used) to compile all the screenshots into a video.

Of course, you'll have no audio, so there is a seperate - command in the options to export that as a .wav.

I gave this a try because I assumed it would get rid of some of the leftover ui elements (BO points awarded, all that yellow pop up text from loot drops, etc.), but, it doesn't. Those were still present in the exported screenshots, and after running it through VirtualDub, I discovered the frames skipped pretty badly. Maybe I was doing something wrong, or I am missing something - I don't know VirtualDub at all, and the thread I have been researching the dev mentioned a buffering process but didn't give details on how to do it. The overall quality also seemed a lot lower. But; the demorecord ui wasn't there.

All things considered, I'll keep using fraps on the replay, whether demorecord was designed to be utilized differently or not. I can crop out the ui in my video editor, the quality is better, and there is far less processing time involved.

Awarded:

sparrow794 wrote:
Anton Mercer wrote:

I figured out how to 'export' from demorecord. It's a - command up in the options right before you login. I'll post it later; I'm at work atm.

What it does is takes a screenshot for every single frame. Exporting this way can take a while. I had a 2 1/2 minute scene that exported out to about 4500 or so .jpg's.

From there, you can take that and run it through a program like VirtualDub (what I used) to compile all the screenshots into a video.

Of course, you'll have no audio, so there is a seperate - command in the options to export that as a .wav.

I gave this a try because I assumed it would get rid of some of the leftover ui elements (BO points awarded, all that yellow pop up text from loot drops, etc.), but, it doesn't. Those were still present in the exported screenshots, and after running it through VirtualDub, I discovered the frames skipped pretty badly. Maybe I was doing something wrong, or I am missing something - I don't know VirtualDub at all, and the thread I have been researching the dev mentioned a buffering process but didn't give details on how to do it. The overall quality also seemed a lot lower. But; the demorecord ui wasn't there.

All things considered, I'll keep using fraps on the replay, whether demorecord was designed to be utilized differently or not. I can crop out the ui in my video editor, the quality is better, and there is far less processing time involved.

exactly ... and btw U can remove the pop up messages that appear by opening the actual demo file with notepad then scrolling through all the text until u see messages just drag and cut making sure u dont get rid of anything else just the messages cause if u take something other then those out the demo file wont play so make a copy first and pull it out of the folder and say place it on ur desktop, thats what i do i have a whole folder of the original demo files

Awarded:

Anton Mercer wrote:

exactly ... and btw U can remove the pop up messages that appear by opening the actual demo file with notepad then scrolling through all the text until u see messages just drag and cut making sure u dont get rid of anything else just the messages cause if u take something other then those out the demo file wont play so make a copy first and pull it out of the folder and say place it on ur desktop, thats what i do i have a whole folder of the original demo files

Ahh, ok... interesting. I'll have to try that. Someone had posted a way to get the shield indicators to go away utilizing a similar method; if I can find it again I'll repost it.

Awarded:

sparrow794 wrote:

Ahh, ok... interesting. I'll have to try that. Someone had posted a way to get the shield indicators to go away utilizing a similar method; if I can find it again I'll repost it.

actually u can turn them off in game and the demo record will record without them u cant remove the shield bubble effects if thats what ur talkin about they are just there Happy

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: