View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Cryssalids suck on terror missions. The amount of suckage cannot be overstated. No, really, it can't.

So far the highest I've lost is a SGT, but then again I only have few LT's, and one Capt. Ive been throwing Rk's in the mix to get some XP......but they usually die haha

Awarded:

Just finished my first game, on normal. 211 days to victory, total score 5364... lemme know how you guys do Happy

Not sure how far I am from the end. I built up on gear before I attacked the alien base tonight(seeing as how my first attempt resulted in the xbox being shut off and cursed). Just finished that tonight with maybe 20-22 missions under belt.

My pain now is I only have 1 support guy, and when i take Rks along to try to get a chance at another, it usually results in their death. Even with Carapace armor and a beam weapon.

R.I.P. Col Wedge Antilles. Not only did I lose my 1st Col, but my childhood hero. Rest easy Rogue leader.

Just got some shipments of Titan and Ghost armor. Ive got satillites over 12 countries. Plasma weapons are on research and currently upgrading my Firestorms with weapons that can take down the Overseer ship(yea, missles didn't cut it).

Awarded:

I've started over with a slightly different approach, though I still have my first game's save file. It (the first game) isn't exactly untenable - my squad is pretty awesome - but I am definitely behind the curve on satellites.

Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Just push through. The way I'm interpreting things so far is that you really only have so much time to get through - that is, the quicker you can accomplish your main tasks, the better. But you have to balance that a bit with offtrack R&D, so while you don't need to research beam weapons, it's helpful if you can fit it in.

If you take to long to get main hurdles finished, you'll start losing countries to panic. So for example, you can push really hard on sat coverage from the start - but that means excavating, building sats, uplinks and interceptors, leaving you little funds to progress anywhere else - and your sat launches won't keep up with abduction panic.

I think the X-COM missions (the ones from the council) only seem to pop after you finish tasks, and those are helpful as well. So it ends up being a sort of spinning plates scenario with everything; research, base building, equipment, interception, etc.

They definitely did a great job of making things tense.

Awarded:

I watched a video "how-to" guide (well, the first few minutes of it, anyway) from this guy on his recommendation for success on Ironman and...Classical difficulty, I think. He definitely recommended you research weapons before armor, as the better weapons help you kill the X-Rays quicker and easier.

As I posted, I have my first game's save, and will probably resume from that save at some point. I want to see how much of a difference it makes getting sats in orbit quicker rather than later.

Yea I agree with the weapons first approach. My problem earlier was I wasn't putting out enough damage to down the newer ET's, and they were swamping me. Once I got beam weapons it balanced out. Although the now constant swarm of Mutons, Berserkers, and Cyberdisc are a constant juggling act

Final score 5064 on normal, 245 days to victory. 9 soldiers lost, 1 Col, 2 Lt, 1 Sgt, 5 Rk. No countries lost. Ended with 101 scientist and 84 engineers.

I absolutely loved all the end game gear. By fear one of the best games I've played. I've never felt so tense. Really immerses you into feeling like you really are saving the world.

Thx for original post and getting my attention to game Shack wink

Awarded:

For those struggling or just beginning, this article is a pretty decent primer and has some solid, if basic, suggestions.

Awarded:

Now that I've figured out how to keep my Archangel armor wearers airborne, I am really digging them. Time to manufacture some more.

Awarded:

Four, or possibly five, Psi capable soldiers found. Gollop chamber used, Operation Avenger commencing! Got a bad feeling about my trooper that used the device, though.

Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Capt pRett wrote:
Four, or possibly five, Psi capable soldiers found. Gollop chamber used, Operation Avenger commencing! Got a bad feeling about my trooper that used the device, though.

Wow, lucky... think I only found 3 my first game.

Awarded:

sparrow794 wrote:
Just finished my first game, on normal. 211 days to victory, total score 5364... lemme know how you guys do Happy

Overall Score: 10796
Days Until Victory: 366
Battles Won: 46
Aliens Killed: 488
Soldiers Lost: 2*
Psionic Soldiers: 4
Scientists: 173
Engineers: 219
Total Credits Earned: 26085
Credits Spent: 19512

* Normal difficulty, and I reloaded a lot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next