View previous topic :: View next topic  
VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Security Levels and you

Forum Image

Last night, a major change was implemented for the 7th Fleet. That change was utilizing the in-game Fleet Ranks to represent Security Levels for our members.

"But," you ask, "why did that need to be done?"

Quite simply, because too many people had the permissions to set our Starbase projects. This was leading to projects being swapped out to ones that were not overly beneficial by people who, quite frankly, had no business putting their mitts on that portion of the UI.

"Well, I'm a [insert rank here] in the 7th, shouldn't I have access to be able to set those projects?"

In a word: no. We have a cadre of folks that became very familiar with how the Fleet Starbases and their projects work by spending a lot of time on Tribble. These are also folks that have demonstrated they can responsibly manage these projects. This level of authority/responsibility is not tied to rank, per se.

"So, what do the various clearances mean?"

Glad you asked.

Security Clearance I: No withdrawal permissions from the Fleet Bank (deposit only); cannot modify Fleet Starbase projects. While not a hard number, a Fleet member can typically expect to remain at this clearance level for their first 60 days in the 7th.

Security Clearance II: May withdraw up to 2 items per day from the Fleet Bank. Otherwise, the same as I.

Security Clearance III: May withdraw up to 4 items per day from the Fleet Bank. Otherwise, the same as II. The majority of Fleet members will remain in this clearance tier.

Security Clearance IV: Unlimited item withdrawal from Fleet Bank (will still be monitored for abuses). May set Fleet Starbase projects. This clearance level is for those in leadership positions within the Fleet (typically, the Fleet Captains).

Fleet Financial Officer: A non-numeric clearance level specifically for the position it is named for (currently FCapt Hau). It grants specific privileges both for the Fleet Bank and Fleet Starbase.

Security Clearance V: Same as IV, but with additional permissions within the Fleet structure. There are three leadership positions that will be granted this authorization level: Commander, 7th Fleet (Adm Fortin), Deputy Commander, 7th Fleet (VA Van Wormer), and the Chief of Staff (currently myself, RA p'Rett.)

With those delineated, let me state very clearly it is the leadership's intent to restrict Clearance Level IV to as few people as is possible. Too many hands in the pot makes Chef Jason very angry.

Forum Image

If you need clarification on anything I've said here, please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by VADM pRett on 07/22/12 19:25; edited 1 time in total

Awarded:

re: Re: Security Levels and you

Adm pRett wrote:

With those delineated, let me state very clearly it is the leadership's intent to restrict Clearance Level IV to as few people as is possible. Too many hands in the pot makes Chef Jason very angry.

Forum Image

I literally just fell out of my chair...

I like it , just wish there was something we could with that empty rank.

Awarded:

re: Re: Security Levels and you

Jason32 wrote:
Adm pRett wrote:

Forum Image

I literally just fell out of my chair...

I just want to know how you got the camera in Jason's kitchen?
xivim
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

One thing i might suggest, and this has a bit to do with the way Cryptic has the Fleet Page in game working. The Rank Column can have its width increased, but as soon as you close it, it reverts to standard.

Every time you open the Fleet page, and go to Roster, everyone's rank says:

"Security ..."

Might want to Abbreviate the ranks so the fit in the normalized width that cryptic forces on everyone.

SCL-I through SCL-V. Or even something less abbreviated. SecLev I, SecLev IV, ect.

Granted its just a minor qualm, and anyone can see the ranks by dragging the Rank column to the right. Just my 2 cents.

Jump to: