Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Solutions and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VADM JT Kerry
VADM JT Kerry
Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

re: Memtest86+ for suspected memory issues - from FLTCAPT Kor

Mr. Kor was passing info to dmextreme about System Memory and how to test for issues. Thank you, sir. I thought that this desevered a place in our new "Solutions and Software" section. JT

FLTCAPT Kor wrote:
You will have to eliminate things one at a time until you find the problem. One possibility is system memory. One way to find out if the system RAM is faulty would be to download Memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org/and use it to create a boot cd. Boot off of the CD and run it to see if any memory faults come up. I was having all kinds of weird problems with my machine freezing up a while back, and when I did this, it turned out that one of my memory DIMMs was bad. I used it to figure out which one, and removed it. After that, no problems.

Like FLT CAPT Kerry says, it is one of many possibilities he's mentioned, and he's got a lot of good advice in his post. You might want to start with this step because it's so easy. I'd probably load it up and let it run while I was at work, and look at it when I got back to see if it found anything.

FWIW, and I don't have much experience with that aspect of computer hardware, the program found errors with my bad DIMM almost immediately. Don't know if this would be usual or not, maybe you'd have to run it longer to be sure, but in that one case errors came up right away.

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    7th Fleet Forum Index -> Solutions and Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: