View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
T-Jericho

re: Romulan Faction - 21 May

sparrow794 wrote:
Wondering what this is going to cost. Free? That would be nice, but I'm prepared to shell out some $ if it come down to it - most MMO's don't do free expansions. Except Eve. It's also possible it could be something purchaseable through the Zen store, so start saving your stipends just in case...

I was wondering about this myself. I'm willing to pay but would certainly be happier if it was a free update.

Also, I agree that a 7th Fleet Romulan faction would be welcome. While they aren't as near and dear to my heart as the Klingons, I'm sure many of us will be playing them. Happy

Awarded:

As to the expansion cost - I don't expect it to be free, and that's fine so long as it stays within the "norm" of expansion costs.

Awarded:

I'd be happy to pay to be Romulan; in the end no matter how large the STO fan-base is, if it's not profitable there's no point in Perfect World keeping it around.

I like Jason's idea too, the 7th Romulan Guard.

Bert6583
Tactical - Captain

I am excited to play this new faction as everyone else. I hope it gives enough push to bring in a Cardassians Union into the mix.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsww
How much is it going to cost?
It's free! More details about C-Store offerings will be revealed as we get closer to launch

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Brandon = pwebranflakes
Community Manager[/quote]
Christian M. Hanson
Tactical - Rear Admiral

Awarded:

Very excited

Engineering - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

There are 2 factions in the Romulan Military structure, one ground (the Guard) and one space (the Legion). Please investigate the Star Trek Canon before naming. The use of the term "Wing" is for the smallest orginizational unit on the space side and the "Legion" is the largest. A Preator is over a number of Legions and Guards. At any given point there are usually no less than 4 Praetor Level areas with the possibility of a supreme leader - Emporer (or Emporess).

So, we never want the title of Wing. If anything it will be 7th (something) Legion.

From Star Trek Expanded Universe:

Organization:
The Romulan Star Navy uses a complex organisational structure for its spaces forces. Its fleets are based around particular groups, such as Command Fleets, Praetorian Fleets, Senatorial fleets, Coalition fleets and others. These fleets are then usually assigned to specific "commands", such as Star Command, Exploration Command, Pacification Command or Occupation Command. These fleets are made up of several avaras or 'centuries' of around a hundred vessels. Avaras are then broken down into command wings of ten to twenty vessels, named after the lead vessel (called a 'wingship') of the wing. (The Dominion War Sourcebook: The Fires of Armageddon).
So, Legion or Command, but, for the title we are looking for, I would stick with Legion. We can add to this by putting something inbetween 7th and Legion, but if we want it to be similar to the Federation "7th Fleet," I would go with the 7th Imperial Fleet.

JT

VADM JT Kerry, USS Astoria, "Lucky" 7th Fleet, Starfleet Command, UFP

Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

Looks like we are going to have a split faction. I kind of thought this was what was going to happen found this in the ask Cryptic today. Thoughts...

Q: (midniteshadow7) Will the Romulan Faction have their own Fleet System, Starbase, and Holdings? Will there be any new Fleet Holdings?

Dstahl: This is an important question that needs a detailed answer.

The Romulan Republic was created from the ground up as a complete new faction. They have their own backstory, their own exclusive missions and episode series, exclusive costumes, faction-exclusive social hub, unique playable species, a full ship progression line from level 1 to 50, unique HUD UI, and more. What they don’t have are their own Starbases. There are many reasons why we’ve made this decision and here’s one of them.

During one of the episodes in the Romulan Republic storyline, the Federation and Klingon Defense Force will challenge Romulan captains to choose sides in the Federation-Klingon War. This permanent and personal choice forges a very important alliance. Once this decision is made, individual Romulan captains will gain many benefits through their alliance, all the while remaining their own independent faction. Romulans still continue their own independent mission journal and storyline after this choice, remaining neutral within the Romulan faction, but the choice has an impact on their progression towards end-game.

In many ways, Romulans will have the best of two "worlds" – theirs and their ally’s. Not only do they have their own exclusive stories, ships, and costumes, but they gain many benefits of their ally. This includes access to a variety of their allies’ ships, rewards, and hubs. While Romulans can’t wear the actual uniform of their ally, they do gain unique costume options, such as a Romulan Republic/Klingon Uniform variant, for example. So when a Romulan creates a Fleet, they are creating a Fleet that is open to Romulans of a chosen allegiance as well as members of that allegiance. Vice-a-versa, they’re also free to join existing fleets of their chosen ally.

Our goal is to encourage existing Fleets, many of whom have spent countless hours on their Starbases, to stay in business and welcome in New Romulans instead of splintering to go "do it all over again". We want captains to group with Fleet mates who decide to start a Romulan and entice them to ally at end game. This not only works thematically, but it also keeps the conflict focused on the Klingon/Federation War.

Now that many established Fleets are finishing their Tier 5 Starbases, we expect to see established guilds enticing all the New Romulans to join their cause in exchange for access to the best ships and gear the ally can offer. In the future, we will consider unique Romulan Starbases. For now, the New Romulans are just getting their feet on the ground and must look to the planet New Romulus as their new home and rely on the Starbases of their ally for support.

Also, a new Fleet Holding is in development, but will be launching after the release of Legacy of Romulus.

Awarded:

Looks like I'm about to get thrown into the Agony Booth again as the bearer of bad news, but...

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=852601

In the Ask Cryptic about this topic, the Romulans are not going to have their own full faction. They play as Romulan Republic personnel until the end game, at which time they choose either the KDF or Fed faction. Looks like there won't be a new Romulan version of the 7th. Sorry guys. [And I feel bad about this, I was looking very much forward to it].
Fleet Admiral E. Fortin
Tactical - Fleet Admiral

Awarded:

COMO Kor wrote:
Looks like I'm about to get thrown into the Agony Booth again as the bearer of bad news, but...

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=852601

In the Ask Cryptic about this topic, the Romulans are not going to have their own full faction. They play as Romulan Republic personnel until the end game, at which time they choose either the KDF or Fed faction. Looks like there won't be a new Romulan version of the 7th. Sorry guys. [And I feel bad about this, I was looking very much forward to it].

My thoughts on this may be a bit more positive. I would think the 7th Legion would unite with the KDF this may help more in your area to increase personnel and interest besides I dont want them sneaky bastards on my Starbase anyways... envy

Awarded:

Hmm that seems kind of fishy in the terms that you do not have a fleet while leveling till VA? That kinda defeats their whole "togetherness" attitude. Even giving the Republic a "mercenary" feel to it instead of an actual faction. Well we will see when it goes up on redshirt ... BUT ... this really caught my eye

"Q: (starfleetownsall) With Legacy of Romulus coming out in May, is there anything else you guys are planning to release between now and then?

Dstahl: While the team is focusing on the finishing touches for the expansion, we will be running two events in April including First Contact Day and, for a limited time only, an updated Crystalline Entity Fleet Action will be returning to offer a new challenge and reward."
Edward Hau

HA! mini faction, called it! envy
VADM pRett
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

I am disappoint.

Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

Let's try and reserve judgement until we can actually test this stuff out on Tribble. To me, it sounds like a character choice that will simply open up access to either KDF based rewards (disruptors, etc) or fed based rewards. It doesn't sound any different than a lot games where a reputation system forces you to choose between two factions - if you're friends with the dwarves, for example, this might negatively affect your 'reputation' with orcs; and you can only be friendly with one group or another.

I don't expect the Romulan faction to be anywhere near as fleshed out as the federation. I would hope it's as well done as the KDF.

And, do you really want to have to contribute to another starbase right now?

Christian M. Hanson wrote:
Very excited

Who's this guy?!?!?!

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: