View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Anton Mercer
Engineering - Captain

Awarded:

re: Creating a Romulan Fleet

Ok this is how I see it from my play time with the Romulans(and I'll try not to spoil too much).

At or around level 10, you run a mission which, at its end, rewards you with the choice of going Federation or Klingon as your ally. Choosing one or the other gives you access to that faction in almost its entirety as you get further into the Romulan story. Once able to get to a "home" location, you are able to create a fleet, this we already know.

My question is are we still going to create a separate Romulan fleet? Not only will we need 5 roms on either side(Fed or Klink) BUT it will start that fleet off with a BRAND NEW starbase and embassy. It's hard enough to keep up with the Klingon SB as is, but to add a third SB into the mix for Roms seems a bit much. I, for one, am very excited to have romulans in game and if they had their own SB system I would never bring this up, but they do not. So I was wondering if we still plan on doing it OR are we just going to do like the Heritage Fleet and have the 7th Legion "under the wing" of the 7th or 7IKS until if/when they flesh romulans out to be a full faction which, I can only assume, they will then allow roms to pull out of either faction to form their own Romulan fleet.

Awarded:

As far as I know, we still plan on creating a Romulan Fleet.

We don't necessarily need 5 Romulans who have all chosen the same allegiance, I believe we just need 5 Romulans, with one guy who can make it to a Fleet Creation NPC - on either Q'onos or SB1 (unless they add one to the Flotilla, which I sincerely hope they do). Which, by the way, you can't get to right away; you still have to run some missions after hitting level 10 before you're allowed into your chosen ally's home sector. But, my understanding is you simply have to be in a group of 5 to create a fleet - not everyone necessarily need be present.

Romulan Fleets will have neither starbase nor embassy at launch.

Awarded:

sparrow794 wrote:
As far as I know, we still plan on creating a Romulan Fleet.

We don't necessarily need 5 Romulans who have all chosen the same allegiance, I believe we just need 5 Romulans, with one guy who can make it to a Fleet Creation NPC - on either Q'onos or SB1 (unless they add one to the Flotilla, which I sincerely hope they do). Which, by the way, you can't get to right away; you still have to run some missions after hitting level 10 before you're allowed into your chosen ally's home sector. But, my understanding is you simply have to be in a group of 5 to create a fleet - not everyone necessarily need be present.

Romulan Fleets will have neither starbase nor embassy at launch.

I understand this but remember in order to create a fleet ALL team members MUST BE PRESENT in the same instance of the fleet creator in order to make a fleet. That being said I'm sure we can grab some FED alts with one Rom and make a fleet then invite all the other roms. Even still that was not the main point. The main point was the SB.

If I read your post correctly Shack, you said Roms will not have a SB or EMB and I think that's half true. They will not have a ROMULAN SB or EMB.

"No fleet starbase - a permanent choice to align with Federation or KDF. Romulan-made fleets will get benefit of their ally (includes access to allies' ships, rewards, and hubs)." -STO Wiki

The Fleet SB is considered a hub correct? And wouldn't it be stupid(Cryptic aside) for a fleet, even Romulan created, to not be able to access their own allies starbases and embassies? This effectively, though not completely as I'm sure we could invite them to either FED or KDF SB to purchase items, cuts them off from fleet end items, as they would be able to get Fleet Marks, but with no SB or EMB to put them in, would be unable to purchase said items.

All that being said, I'm asking, and of course this could all be wasted breath, do we really want a third SB and EMB *IF* the created Rom fleet gets one.

Though on the positive side this will open up the chance to "Fleet Swap" if projects in one fleet are finished and people want to spend marks could do so in the other.

Awarded:

Ok, nvm all concerns are addressed. The Romulan "Hub" is a command center on New Romulus that you can bean to when entering the New Romulus System. It functions much like ESD or First City(though a little more boring not alot of npcs, no music etc.) BUT there is a fleet creator their. You MUST be faction aligned and all five group members must be present in the same instance. And in fact it does give you access to your faction aligned starbase at tier ZERO.

Forum Image

So when ever there are five of us on just head down and you should be able to create the Tribble legion.

Though the question remains if we want to go all out on this SB, as cryptic does have plans to flesh out the roms and make them a full faction in the future...

According to the Dev Blogs and a recent interview, a Romulan Fleet builds either a Federation starbase or a Klingon one, depending on the faction the fleet aligns itself with. So, as I understand it, the 7th is planning on creating a third, Romulan, fleet. Which type of starbase will be chosen?

Also, as Captain Mercer pointed out, won't this be spreading our resources a bit thin? The 7th doesn't have a tier V starbase yet on either side. I'm happy to support whatever decision command makes and am just curious as to how we're going to allocate resources.

Awarded:

Starbase Solrac Yatug (SB 643) will always take priority for us as a whole. That has been the guidance since the beginning and will continue even with this 3rd playable faction.

i for one would rather integrate our romulans into a fed or klingon fleet. i'm with mercer in thinking that a 3rd starbase would be in my words " a huge 'F*$%!ng' mistake* we are strugling to keep our klingon base leveling at a resonable pace the 3rd starbase would take from progress into fed or klingon base.

Jason32 wrote:
Starbase Solrac Yatug (SB 643) will always take priority for us as a whole. That has been the guidance since the beginning and will continue even with this 3rd playable faction.

What the CoS said. I know people have their favorite factions they have a soft spot for, but everyone needs to remember this is the 7th Fleet. Aka a Federation organization. Regardless of your favorite faction every single person goes by their Fed main for that very reason, 7th Fleet's main focus is the Federation side. We are not a Klingon fleet or Romulan fleet. From what I was explained to once, the 7th ITS was created as a place where fleet members could still play together on that side for those of us that like KDF, but at the end of the day we are the 7th Fleet of the UFP. Plain and simple. I love my KDF character as much as my fed so don't take this as me hating, it's just the truth of the matter that I think some forget.

Therefore SB 643 is the Fleet's primary focus and takes priority in resources. We are not tier 5 for the simple fact we decided to level all branches, not just one. That and we maintain a strong Embassy thanks to Augerson's work. The tier 5 fleets present now are the fleets that strong pushed one branch alone.

How bout we don't even worry about the starbase for the roms at all, no point in making a rom base til we get a ROMULAN base...

Why not just do the Starbase thing and not worry about how fast it gets leveled up People who are playing Romulans will contribute. There is no rule that says we MUST have tier whatever by a certain date.

There will always be a project to do for those who want to deal with it. Some people just like having something to work on. It may take a couple months or it mights take 2 years to get to Tier 1 but when that day comes it will be cause for all of us to celebrate.

Morgan Shackelford
sparrow794
Tactical - Vice Admiral

Awarded:

This will certainly be discussed tomorrow night at the command meeting.

After talking with Mercer, and doing some research, I was mistaken about some things.

Romulan players make an individual choice of who to ally with. They can create their own fleet, but the fleet would be aligned towards one side or the other - and they would then have access to a starbase construction project of whichever alignment the fleet was created under.

This presents some problems. Obviously, starting a 3rd starbase simply isn't desirable. While it is true that the Federation projects have priority in the grand scheme of things, a new fleet with a 3rd starbase will undoubtedly cause resource flow problems. The leadership can say 'Fed is the primary goal,' but individual members make their own choices - and if 5-10% of people decide they want to primarily play Romulans, they aren't going to be contributing as much to the Federation projects. The second prolem is this:

Quote:
when a Romulan creates a Fleet, they are creating a Fleet that is open to Romulans of a chosen allegiance as well as members of that allegiance.

So, if we establish a fed-aligned Romulan fleet, apparently fed players can join it, but kdf-aligned Romulans can not. So, what do we do? Make another Romulan fleet for kdf aligned players? Start a 4th starbase?

There is some of this that stinks, and some of this that is actually really smart on Cryptics part. I've been listening to a 4 hour interview with Al Rivera, and he talks about Cryptics point of view - and it makes sense. For one, people are going to continue to want more new factions. Cardassian, Liberated Borg, Jem Hadar, what have you - and releasing new factions is a great way to entice new players to the game. But every new faction causes artificial divisions in the playerbase - this is the exact same reason this fleet no longer utilizes a task force structure. So, they give you an alliance option. Now, as a Romulan faction character, you can group with your friends and fleetmates, you can even join their existing fleets, while still maintaining unique Romulan only options in both content (maps/missions) and systems (ships/equipment).

I am beginning to question whether setting up a Romulan fleet is a good idea. If we funnel these characters into our existing fleets, Fleet 7 and 7th ITS gain back player time that would be lost to a 3rd fleet. Members would have access to already established construction projects.

My only concern is what happens down the road if Romulan fleets begin to get access to unique systems - like a Romulan designed starbase, or some other construction project, say, a colony establishment, or something, that the other two factions fleets don't get.

We could establish a Romulan Fleet - lock down the name - and shelf it. Funnel the majority of players into our existing fleets, and if major changes happen down the road, bring the Romulans back to the Romulan Fleet if necessary.

Speaking of names, I have a feeling getting '7th Legion' might be difficult ...

Awarded:

This is exactly what I was trying to get at with this thread. I honestly feel we should do what Shack suggested toward the end of his post and lock down a Romulan fleet name and shelf it for the time being. I can honestly see cryptic converting Romulan fleet holdings INTO Romulan fleet holdings as the flesh out the faction and make it fully its own faction. That being said, we can set it up with with main Roms that we run first then just transfer it to a couple "dummy" or less played alt characters. This way we have it, its there and it can also be used to funnel excess marks and stuff when the major projects are on cooldown.

Awarded:

Anton Mercer wrote:
This is exactly what I was trying to get at with this thread. I honestly feel we should do what Shack suggested toward the end of his post and lock down a Romulan fleet name and shelf it for the time being. I can honestly see cryptic converting Romulan fleet holdings INTO Romulan fleet holdings as the flesh out the faction and make it fully its own faction. That being said, we can set it up with with main Roms that we run first then just transfer it to a couple "dummy" or less played alt characters. This way we have it, its there and it can also be used to funnel excess marks and stuff when the major projects are on cooldown.

I agree with this. Having 4 Starbases would not be feasible. We should create the placeholder Rom Fleet, Shelf it (you can gut it down to only 1 person if you need to) then have Fed-ulan's go to 7th fleet, and Klink-ulan's go to 7th ITS.

Might even get more people to play the Klink side.

xivim wrote:
Anton Mercer wrote:

I agree with this. Having 4 Starbases would not be feasible. We should create the placeholder Rom Fleet, Shelf it (you can gut it down to only 1 person if you need to) then have Fed-ulan's go to 7th fleet, and Klink-ulan's go to 7th ITS.

Might even get more people to play the Klink side.

DING! DING!

Awarded:

S. Runaz wrote:
DING! DING!

Are you a trolley

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: